Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UEFI BIOS dual boot - 12.3 works 12.2 is inaccessable!

Default Re: UEFI BIOS dual boot - 12.3 works 12.2 is inaccessable!

Thanks again, nrickert!

I expect that I can practice with command line yast and maybe SW manager but just invoking them from level5 console. That's a good exercise to try anyway.

When I partitioned my hdd, installed 12.2, and then 12.3, I wasn't aware that my UEFI bios had a role to play. May I ask how you were able to cause the different boot choices in your two installs? Do I have to uncheck automatic (configuration | installation)? I can't remember the title of that install checkbox.

I have collected your instructions, but probably the time to attempt this is when 12.4 or 13.0 comes out. At that time I would like to overwrite the 12.2 with with whatever the next will be, but I would like to leave the 12.3 operational.

If I have to add a second boot partition for say 12.4 to save the 12.3, then it would have to be "right" on the drive of the 12.3 partitions, so as not to change the 12.3 mount points.

malcolmlewis never answered my question about the acceptable hdd locations for say a 12.3/boot.

Another approach for the future 12.4 install might be to learn how to force that install to use the existing /boot/efi for its boot partition. That might leave the existing 12.3/boot capable of still booting 12.3 after the 12.4 install.

FWIW I may have to surrender my internet connection. If so I may be offline until 15.4! nrickert, I really appreciate your detailed instructions! if and when I get to try them, I'll try to find this thread and post the outcome. Heboland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heboland View Post
    When I partitioned my hdd, installed 12.2, and then 12.3, I wasn't aware that my UEFI bios had a role to play. May I ask how you were able to cause the different boot choices in your two installs?
    One of the two boots directly (started by the UEFI BIOS). The other is started from the grub menu for the first.

This was all a bit buggy. I have a couple of bug reports. I had to edit "grub.cfg" to get it to work correctly for booting the second system.
    Do I have to uncheck automatic (configuration | installation)? I can't remember the title of that install checkbox.
    No, that is unrelated. I did uncheck, because that allows me to assign a hostname. Otherwise it gets a randomized hostname, and I have to change that later. But it makes very little difference.

I have collected your instructions, but probably the time to attempt this is when 12.4 or 13.0 comes out.
    It will be 13.1, and it is supposed to be out in November. By that time, using UEFI should be a bit smoother than it
    currently is.

If I have to add a second boot partition for say 12.4 to save the 12.3, then it would have to be "right" on the drive of the 12.3 partitions, so as not to change the 12.3 mount points.

malcolmlewis never answered my question about the acceptable hdd locations for say a 12.3/boot.
    For UEFI, it should be in an EFI partition.
    Another approach for the future 12.4 install might be to learn how to force that install to use the existing /boot/efi for its boot partition.
    It's best to be careful about that. In the Boot configuration page, there is a Distributor field. You can change that distributor field for the new (13.1) install, to say "opensuse_alt 13.1" in place of "opensuse 13.1". That way the boot entry will be named "opensuse_alt" rather than "opensuse", and that avoids a name conflict. (Thanks to Michael Chang for pointing out that trick).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks again nrickert!

I think you understand my current /boot is ext2 on sda2. sda4 is an extended partition. swap is sda7, 12.3/ is sda8. If I have to add another boot partition adjacent to sda2, that will move swap and 12.3/. I'm trying to avoid that as that would wreck the 12.3.

For UEFI, it should be in an EFI partition.
    My interpretation of this statement is that I need a partition mounted as /efi? Surely there is not an efi format like ext2!

Can I get away with creating a /efi directory in my existing /boot and then mounting /boot/efi as /efi? Heboland.

Blog Entries

Can I get away with creating a /efi directory in my existing /boot and then mounting /boot/efi as /efi? Heboland.
    No, that won't work.

Here's what I did with two systems.

Looking in "/etc/default/grub", I see:
    Code:
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="openSUSE 12.3"
    That's near the top of the file.

For my second install, I instead have:
    Code:
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="openSUSE_alt 12.3"
    The way you set that, during install, is you click on "Booting", then on "Boot options". You can test that out now in Yast. Go to Yast --> System --> Bootloader
    You will see pretty much the same screen as you see during install. Click the options button to see where the "Distributor line" is. And then cancel out of everything, since you don't really want to change what is currently working.

These GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR definitions give me directories:
    "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse" and "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse_alt" and that avoids name conflicts.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks again nrickert!

I looked at the yast>system>bootloader. I have openSUSE 12.3 on the distributer line.

My /etc/default/grub shows GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="openSUSE 12.3".

I'm familiar with the booting section of the install process.

On piece to the puzzle still remains for me! Why don't I have an efi directory in /boot?

I did find the BIOS option of legacy boot only, efi boot only, or both. My BIOS is set to both. Could this be why I didn't get an efi directory in /boot?

Would you hazard a guess as to what would happen now if I changed that setting to efi only? Heboland.

Blog Entries

I did find the BIOS option of legacy boot only, efi boot only, or both. My BIOS is set to both. Could this be why I didn't get an efi directory in /boot?
    My BIOS is also set for both.

I currently have secure-boot enabled, so I only see the UEFI possibilities. If I disable secure-boot, insert the install media, reboot, hit F12 during boot, I see a boot menu from the BIOS. And the opensuse installer can be selected either in UEFI mode or in MBR mode.

I installed after booting UEFI mode. If I have booted MRB mode, then I would have had an MBR install with no use of EFI.

For what you should do? May I suggest the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks nrickert!

I'm a great believer in the maxim you mentioned!

I’ve captured the dialog from this thread for my next install, whenever that might be.

I do have a Secure Boot option in my BIOS, which will be a good starting point for the next install. The likelihood of being able to salvage my 12.3 in a new install doesn’t seem very promising, so I won't expect to preserve it.

Probably there is a UEFI tutorial somewhere that would describe the steps you shared with me here.

It's apt to be a while before I get to experiment with your advice.

I think you have given me all I need. Thanks again for that! Heboland.

Blog Entries

Probably there is a UEFI tutorial somewhere that would describe the steps you shared with me here.
    You can try this one: Dual boot opensuse 12.3 and Windows 8 on a UEFI box

That is not quite your situation. By the time the next release (should be 13.1) is out, the use of UEFI should be a bit smoother, and there will probably be newer guides.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12