Thread: Computer freezes on (fast) bluetooth mouse motion

Default Computer freezes on (fast) bluetooth mouse motion

Sometimes when I move my bluetooth mouse quickly, the computer freezes: the GUI does not respond to any input (from either a mouse, the touchpad, or the keyboard), CTRL-ALT-F1 does not work, the laptop fan picks up, and any audio that is playing suddenly stops. The only solution I have found is to turn the laptop off with the power button.
    The laptop has also frozen once when I have been using a wired USB mouse, but only once. It always seems to freeze on mouse motion.
    From some googling, I suspect that this may be a problem with the GUI not responding to fast changes, rather than the kernel. This suspicion fits with that the bluetooth mouse pointer has to move fastest since the computer does not always pick up the movement signal immediately. However, I do not know how to confirm this suspicion.
    This problem will probably be hard to reproduce right now, because I left my bluetooth mouse behind at school over this break.

I am running openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) KDE: 4.8.5 (4.8.5) "release 2" on a HP G62 laptop.

Thanks.

Default Re: Computer freezes on (fast) bluetooth mouse motion

I have also been experiencing desktop freezing since OpenSUSE 12.1 with absolutely no consistency. At times, the entire computer freezes and only a hard reboot resolves the issue, at other times, I can go to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-Fx) and login as root. Restarting the Xserver with "rcxdm restart" shuts the Xserver down but does not restart it properly, there is no display. The only way to regain access to the desktop is to reboot.

This behaviour occurs on multiple computers. My personal laptop is an older Asus model and I keep this one updated and on the latest release (not RC or Beta). I've updated the computer in the past but with this latest 12.3 release, I re-installed completely, keeping my home directory partition intact. Other partitions were reformatted and new software installed. I also run multiple classroom computers (for technical training) with OpenSUSE as host and VMware-Workstation for running guest virtual machines. The student computers run OpenSUSE 11.4 while the instructor (mostly my computer but occasionally used by guest instructors with limited OS troubleshooting skills) runs OpenSUSE 12.2 (upgraded not re-installed from OpenSUSE 11.1). The student machines have never experienced a lock-up while the instructor computer has experienced MANY, again with no apparent consistency. I usually connect to the malfunctioning computer with ssh and am successful at connecting in most occasions but I've also been refused connection in the past (hard reset the only way out).

I've looked at some of the logs but don't see anything that would suggest an error before the lock-up. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by s-phi-nl View Post
    Sometimes when I move my bluetooth mouse quickly, the computer freezes: the GUI does not respond to any input (from either a mouse, the touchpad, or the keyboard), CTRL-ALT-F1 does not work, the laptop fan picks up, and any audio that is playing suddenly stops. The only solution I have found is to turn the laptop off with the power button.
    The laptop has also frozen once when I have been using a wired USB mouse, but only once. It always seems to freeze on mouse motion.
    From some googling, I suspect that this may be a problem with the GUI not responding to fast changes, rather than the kernel. This suspicion fits with that the bluetooth mouse pointer has to move fastest since the computer does not always pick up the movement signal immediately. However, I do not know how to confirm this suspicion.
    This problem will probably be hard to reproduce right now, because I left my bluetooth mouse behind at school over this break.

I am running openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) KDE: 4.8.5 (4.8.5) "release 2" on a HP G62 laptop.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Computer freezes on (fast) bluetooth mouse motion

While there could be many issues at play, first and foremost, make sure you are running with good batteries. For common batteries, if there is any doubt, toss em and start afresh. For higher cost or hard to find units, consider using a battery tester or even a small volt meter to make they are good. Devices that run 24/7 on batteries and for which you can not or do not turn off when not in use, batteries can be the problem so do not discount this issue. Next, in the off chance that the problem is some how related to the kernel version you are using, it is possible to upgrade to almost any version at or above the kernel version you are using. Have a look at my blog here: openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Computer freezes on (fast) bluetooth mouse motion

The battery could very well be my problem: the problem has mostly occurred when I have been using my old, rather dead, battery at my desk (just so that if I thoughtlessly unplug I still have power).
    I try just using my good batteries and see if that helps.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    While there could be many issues at play, first and foremost, make sure you are running with good batteries. For common batteries, if there is any doubt, toss em and start afresh. For higher cost or hard to find units, consider using a battery tester or even a small volt meter to make they are good. Devices that run 24/7 on batteries and for which you can not or do not turn off when not in use, batteries can be the problem so do not discount this issue. Next, in the off chance that the problem is some how related to the kernel version you are using, it is possible to upgrade to almost any version at or above the kernel version you are using. Have a look at my blog here: openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums.

Thank You,