Thread: How to determine which texlive packages to install?

Default How to determine which texlive packages to install?

Starting with openSUSE 12.3 texlive has been split into a great number of separate packages. Now I have problems to find which packages I need.

Example:

TeXing some old source file complains that the font cmb14 could not be found. As this has worked in the past, there is clearly some package missing.

Solution: Install texlive-sauter and texlive-sauterfonts

The solution is not obvious at all and even using grep on a previous system will not find any result for 'cmb14' to give a hint. To make things worse, yast search will not show what files are provided by a package as long as the package is not installed. Is there any clever way to find the missing package starting from the TeX error message?
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to determine which texlive packages to install?

I had a similar problem. I searched around and managed to come up with the right package.

Check out this blog post: Easy way to install TeX packages for openSUSE 12.3

I have not tested whether that works, but it is worth a try.

I think I am regretting this change to tex/latex. Some of what I use comes from browsing the documentation on my computer. And now, with the new packaging, the documentation is not there for packages that I did know about so didn't install. I suppose I can browse Internet documentation, but I think the old way (installing the whole thing) had some advantages. Maybe there's a meta-package that installs everything. If not, then there should be.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thank you. This was exactly what I was looking for. Works mostly (but not in my example case above).
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

There is an earlier thread started on this: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...x-texlive.html

Basically you have two choices; use software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.3 to select package groups or use YaST>Software management for individual packages - if you do the latter, you will get all the other packages in the same package group.