Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Executable running slower on opensuse 12.3

Default Re: Executable running slower on opensuse 12.3

Hi,

can someone please explain the exact way to change libm-2.17.so to libm-2.15.so? I am not a Linux pro, so i would prefer a detailed explanation. Or is there an other way to fix the runtime issue?

Many Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert3L1T3 View Post
    Hi,

can someone please explain the exact way to change libm-2.17.so to libm-2.15.so? I am not a Linux pro, so i would prefer a detailed explanation. Or is there an other way to fix the runtime issue?

Many Thanks!
    There are two ways I know of. Assuming 64 bit OS is used:

1) This is easy but dangerous, it may lead to crashes. Find file libm-2.15.so in an older OS. Overwrite with it the file /lib64/libm-2.17.so Reboot. The overwritten file needs monitoring, since, after an update, upgrade or some other system events which I am not sure of, the 2.17 version may be reinstalled.

2) Before starting an executable from command line, put the file 2.15 in current directory (or create a link to it from current directory), and use LD_PRELOAD as done in Post 31.

Smile Resolved in 13.1

With opensuse 13.1 and glibc-2.18-4.4.1.x86_64, the issue is almost resolved.

"Almost", because:

1) At the beginning, right after a fresh installation, the speed was jumping between old (slow) amd new (quick), depending on the order of compilations and reboots. After an update, the execution speed stays at high. The reason of slow speed right after installation is unknown to me.

2) Compared to opensuse 12.2 and libm version 15, the execution speed is still 5-10% lower.

However, this is negligible, and I hope the flop doesn't repeat itself in the future.

Thanks to all who worked on the problem and libm. But no thanks to those who created the problem.

On 2013-12-10 22:56, ZStefan wrote:
    >
    > With opensuse 13.1 and glibc-2.18-4.4.1.x86_64, the issue is almost
    > resolved.

> Thanks to all who worked on the problem and libm. But no thanks to those
    > who created the problem.

And thanks for your report! :-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213