Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.3 DVD won't boot - reboots itself immediately after the bootloader loads the kernel into memory

Default 12.3 DVD won't boot - reboots itself immediately after the bootloader loads the kernel into memory

I can't install/upgrade from the 12.3 DVD (x86-64) - when booting this image and selecting any option from the OpenSUSE menu (Installation, Check Media, anything) it begins to load the kernel, and as soon as the kernel is 100% loaded by the bootloader (but not actually executing), the system reboots itself.

I have installed/upgraded with OpenSUSE DVDs many times in the past on this very same machine (no hardware changes ever), including 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 12.1 and 12.2. This is the first time it cannot boot the DVD installation media.

Is it failing on some hardware that is no longer detected? Is there some kernel command-line argument that can be added to get past this initial failure?

The system is only about 3 years old. It is *not* a UEFI system - just standard BIOS/MBR. CPU is AMC Phenom II X4 945. Video is NVIDIA GT216 GeForce GT 220.
    Last edited by magmaiceman; 24-Mar-2013 at 09:14. Reason: title was truncated

Blog Entries

Default Re: 12.3 DVD won't boot - reboots itself immediately after the bootloader loads the kernel into memo

Did the download .iso file pass the md5sum check ?

Are you confident that your DVD media is good ? ie +R or -R and not an RW that has been used many times. A quality DVD media (not some bargain basement no name brand) ? And burned at the slowest speed your DVD burner would allow ?

Can you boot from a liveCD ?

Default Re: 12.3 DVD won't boot - reboots itself immediately after the bootloaderloads the kernel into memory

On 2013-03-24 17:16, magmaiceman wrote:
    > I have installed/upgraded with OpenSUSE DVDs many times in the past on
    > this very same machine (no hardware changes ever), including 11.2, 11.3,
    > 11.4, 12.1 and 12.2. This is the first time it cannot boot the DVD
    > installation media.

Did you verify the download and the burn?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

Default Re: 12.3 DVD won't boot - reboots itself immediately after the bootloader loads the kernel into memo

Yes, verified the download (PGP and MD5SUM) before burning, and then verified the burn as well (MD5SUM).

Also, have tried the same DVD in another (newer) system, and it boots up fine there. Just not in the 3-year old system (details above) which is currently running 12.2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magmaiceman View Post
    Is it failing on some hardware that is no longer detected?
    On the initial screen, try selecting text mode.

If that works, then it is a video problem. You could probably install with text mode, and look into video driver problems later.

If that doesn't work, then I'm out of suggestions for now.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Yes, verified the download (PGP and MD5SUM) before burning, and then verified the burn as well (MD5SUM).

Also, have tried the same DVD in another (newer) system, and it boots up fine there. Just not in the 3-year old system (details above) which is currently running 12.2.
    What can you tell us of the quality of the DVD you burned ? Slowest speed possible. Bargain basement or quality DVD ?

Just cause it worked on a different PC does not mean all, as it is not uncommon for a DVD to work on a newer system, but not on an older.

Have you tried a liveCD with this PC that has the problem you note ?

The DVD reads fine in the system in question. I can boot into another OS (i.e. from hard disk, or into Knoppix) and do an MD5SUM of the installation media (DVD) manually, thus actually reading the DVD from within the system in question, and the MD5SUM is correct. I just can't boot from it.

Blog Entries

Try booting the DVD with "nomodeset" on the Options line. This maybe related to the NVIDIA.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: 12.3 DVD won't boot - reboots itself immediately after the bootloaderloads the kernel into memory

On 2013-03-24 21:06, magmaiceman wrote:
    >
    > The DVD reads fine in the system in question. I can boot into another
    > OS (i.e. from hard disk, or into Knoppix) and do an MD5SUM of the
    > installation media (DVD) manually, thus actually reading the DVD from
    > within the system in question, and the MD5SUM is correct. I just can't
    > boot from it.

Well, it maybe that your system is not compatible with 12.3 booting for
    some reason.

I would try a USB stick, anyway, if your BIOS can boot from it.

If both cases fail, report in bugzilla, and wait for 13.1... :-(

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Try booting the DVD with "nomodeset" on the Options line. This maybe related to the NVIDIA.
    The reason I did not suggest that is I believe 'NOKMS' option does the same as 'nomodeset' boot code, and the OP indirectly stated they tried that option and it did not work .... I quote :
    I can't install/upgrade from the 12.3 DVD (x86-64) - when booting this image and selecting any option from the OpenSUSE menu (Installation, Check Media, anything)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast