Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.3 : boot is ko

Question 12.3 : boot is ko

hello

i upgraded to 12.3 from 12.2 using 3 repos (oss,non-oss and update of 12.3) and zypper dup from init 3.
    It took me 1H30 hour and seemed ok, after the install i removed fglrx-legacy for i have an amd HD 4850 and it's not supported anymore.
    Then i did a reboot, but it went wrong (using shutdown -r now) it would not stop down and reboot as usual. I waited and then had to turn the pc off manually.
    Reboot showed me the usual screen but no keyboard was available : not ctrl/alt/Fx or Backspace_twice or Del would work for example. No way to use escape at the boot screen (grub2).
    I then had a black screen, pc monitor light is blue (On) but only a black screen and nothing can be done but turning the pc Off manually.
    After maybe 3 or 4 times rebooting it finally went to the desktop ok , i was able to update my repos for 12.3 , i upgraded KDe to 4.10 for something like 255 packages and then rebooted the pc.
    Since then it seems the pc will only boot after 3 or 4 times each time i need it.
    What can i do to improve this ?
    thanks
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 , KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 12.3 : boot is ko

Quote Originally Posted by manchette_fr View Post
    hello

i upgraded to 12.3 from 12.2 using 3 repos (oss,non-oss and update of 12.3) and zypper dup from init 3.
    It took me 1H30 hour and seemed ok, after the install i removed fglrx-legacy for i have an amd HD 4850 and it's not supported anymore.
    Then i did a reboot, but it went wrong (using shutdown -r now) it would not stop down and reboot as usual. I waited and then had to turn the pc off manually.
    Reboot showed me the usual screen but no keyboard was available : not ctrl/alt/Fx or Backspace_twice or Del would work for example. No way to use escape at the boot screen (grub2).
    I then had a black screen, pc monitor light is blue (On) but only a black screen and nothing can be done but turning the pc Off manually.
    After maybe 3 or 4 times rebooting it finally went to the desktop ok , i was able to update my repos for 12.3 , i upgraded KDe to 4.10 for something like 255 packages and then rebooted the pc.
    Since then it seems the pc will only boot after 3 or 4 times each time i need it.
    What can i do to improve this ?
    thanks
    When you say it takes 3 or 4 reboots to get it to work, is that because of a video problem or a keyboard problem? You gave a short dissertation on your upgrade process but did you consult this guide on doing it properly? https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade One could do the upgrade again OR you could just do a clean install of openSUSE 12.3, but doing a custom partition where you mount all of your old partitions in the same locations and names, but only reformat your / root partition and keeping your /home and other partitions just as they were. This maintains all personnel settings while requireing you reload all applications and redo all system settings. The latter method is the way I decided to "upgrade" my main PC. When an upgrade goes south, so to speak, its hard to know exactly what went wrong or if you have a distro problem you would have had anyway. Video issues can be solved sometimes by upgrading the Linux kernel, perhaps up to 3.8 out right now, but I would reread the upgrade procedure to see if you left out something.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: 12.3 : boot is ko

i reread the procedure just in case, i did a a bit differently but did it ok as i'm used to it, i guess dvd clean install is still the best option.
    I'm already using last kernel and re ran mkinitrd just in case.

Code:
    # uname -r
    3.8.3-1-desktop
    i've been told xorg.conf could disturb, it this wrong ?
    Code:
    # cd /etc/X11/
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11 # ls
    Xmodmap  Xmodmap.remote  Xresources  fs  lbxproxy  proxymngr  qtrc  rstart  xdm  xim  xim.d  xinit  xorg.conf.d  xorg.conf.fglrx-oldconfig  xorg.conf.install  xsm
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11 # cd xorg.conf.d/
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d # ls
    05-glamor.conf  10-evdev.conf  11-mouse.conf  50-device.conf  50-monitor.conf  50-screen.conf  50-synaptics.conf  50-vmmouse.conf  50-wacom.conf  90-keytable.conf
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d #
    also my pc might have some hardware problem but it's hard to spot exactly which one.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 12.3 : boot is ko

i reread the procedure just in case, i did a a bit differently but did it ok as i'm used to it, i guess dvd clean install is still the best option.
    I'm already using last kernel and re ran mkinitrd just in case.

Code:
    # uname -r
    3.8.3-1-desktop
    i've been told xorg.conf could disturb, it this wrong ?
    Code:
    # cd /etc/X11/
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11 # ls
    Xmodmap  Xmodmap.remote  Xresources  fs  lbxproxy  proxymngr  qtrc  rstart  xdm  xim  xim.d  xinit  xorg.conf.d  xorg.conf.fglrx-oldconfig  xorg.conf.install  xsm
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11 # cd xorg.conf.d/
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d # ls
    05-glamor.conf  10-evdev.conf  11-mouse.conf  50-device.conf  50-monitor.conf  50-screen.conf  50-synaptics.conf  50-vmmouse.conf  50-wacom.conf  90-keytable.conf
    linux-opensuse123:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d #
    also my pc might have some hardware problem but it's hard to spot exactly which one.
    You don't have a "xorg.conf" file there in /etc/X11 and the file is not needed. Surely a hardware problem is bad but there is no way for me to evaluate just what that might mean on your system. Do you wish to expand on the hardware issue you think you might have?

Thank You,

i'd like to understand what' going on, yes i've looked for it already , but could not find the -exact- problem (yet). i don't like it when problem occurs, specially when i don' get where they are coming from. Moreother i think it's always a good way to learn more

Blog Entries

Question Re: 12.3 : boot is ko

i'd like to understand what' going on, yes i've looked for it already , but could not find the -exact- problem (yet). i don't like it when problem occurs, specially when i don' get where they are coming from. Moreother i think it's always a good way to learn more
    So I don't feel like I was able to help very much in your case. Do you have another request or how can we help you out of this present issue?

Thank You,

On 2013-03-23 15:16, manchette fr wrote:
    > i reread the procedure just in case, i did a a bit differently but did
    > it ok as i'm used to it, i guess dvd clean install is still the best
    > option.

I have a small extra partition where I test the target distro before an
    upgrade. That is, I install fresh in that small partition and see if
    everything works right. If it does, then I upgrade on the main partition.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

good idea,
    help and questions will evolve if/according how it goes

hello

thanks
    This does not sound right.

Are you sure the legacy drivers don't support a HD4850 ?

The legacy driver, is for cards not supported by newest catalyst drivers for 5000 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    This does not sound right.

Are you sure the legacy drivers don't support a HD4850 ?

The legacy driver, is for cards not supported by newest catalyst drivers for 5000 and up.

check this : http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fgl...ed%20on%2012.3

how do i downgrade to default kernel of 12.3 (3.7 below ) ?
    i hvae installed it but i 'm not using it yet :

Code:
    linux-opensuse123:~ # mkinitrd

Kernel image:   /boot/vmlinuz-3.7.10-1.1-desktop
    Initrd image:   /boot/initrd-3.7.10-1.1-desktop
    Root device:    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1600PD-07FZB1_WD-WMAES3562221-part2 (/dev/sdb2) (mounted on / as ext4)
    Resume device:  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1600PD-07FZB1_WD-WMAES3562221-part1 (/dev/sdb1)
    Kernel Modules: thermal_sys thermal processor fan pata_jmicron ata_generic ata_piix scsi_dh scsi_dh_rdac scsi_dh_emc scsi_dh_alua scsi_dh_hp_sw xhci-hcd hid-logitech-dj 
    Features:       acpi plymouth block usb resume.userspace resume.kernel

Kernel image:   /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.2-1-desktop
    Initrd image:   /boot/initrd-3.8.2-1-desktop
    Root device:    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1600PD-07FZB1_WD-WMAES3562221-part2 (/dev/sdb2) (mounted on / as ext4)
    Resume device:  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1600PD-07FZB1_WD-WMAES3562221-part1 (/dev/sdb1)
    Kernel Modules: thermal_sys thermal processor fan pata_jmicron ata_generic ata_piix scsi_dh scsi_dh_rdac scsi_dh_emc scsi_dh_alua scsi_dh_hp_sw xhci-hcd hid-logitech-dj 

Kernel image:   /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.3-1-desktop
    Initrd image:   /boot/initrd-3.8.3-1-desktop

linux-opensuse123:~ # uname -r
    3.8.3-1-desktop
    linux-opensuse123:~ #

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast