Thread: can not open partitions in dolphin without authentication

Default can not open partitions in dolphin without authentication

Good grief it seems like I have no end of problems, thankfully there are worse things that can happen.

Yesterday I re-installed openSUSE 12.3 for whatever reasons mentioned in this forum and now I have a problem accessing my old HDD.
    There are three hard drives in the system, one is mounted at /, one is mounted at /home and then there is the other one 1TB drive. The 1TB drive has three partitions named data, backup, vm.
    They show up in Dolphin but when I click on them I am asked for my password.
    I have already tried changing the chown -R owner:group and chmod -R 775 but this does not seem to work.

There is some message that pops up about policy or policy kit but it vanishes before I can decipher the contents.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

Blog Entries

Smile Re: can not open partitions in dolphin without authentication

Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    Good grief it seems like I have no end of problems, thankfully there are worse things that can happen.

Yesterday I re-installed openSUSE 12.3 for whatever reasons mentioned in this forum and now I have a problem accessing my old HDD.
    There are three hard drives in the system, one is mounted at /, one is mounted at /home and then there is the other one 1TB drive. The 1TB drive has three partitions named data, backup, vm.
    They show up in Dolphin but when I click on them I am asked for my password.
    I have already tried changing the chown -R owner:group and chmod -R 775 but this does not seem to work.

There is some message that pops up about policy or policy kit but it vanishes before I can decipher the contents.
    Show us your fstab file (cat /etc/fstab) as there are two things that effect this, the folder permissions and the mount options in fstab.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: can not open partitions in dolphin without authentication

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Show us your fstab file (cat /etc/fstab) as there are two things that effect this, the folder permissions and the mount options in fstab.

Thank You,
    Oh sheez, fstab of course They are not being mounted at boot and hence the problem. Thanks
    I should have googled that.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

Blog Entries

Smile Re: can not open partitions in dolphin without authentication

Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    Oh sheez, fstab of course They are not being mounted at boot and hence the problem. Thanks
    I should have googled that.
    I must say for partitions connected all of the time, and where you want to determine the mount point, the /etc/fstab file is where you must go for permanent mounts to be made. I have a bash script that is useful in editing system files as root: SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums or to select one to edit as root from a normal file manager run as a normal user: fewrup - File Editor With Root or User Permissions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas