Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    25

    Default update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    Hi,

    I did installed openSUSE 12.3 RC 2 from a USB stick for testing purposes.
    Now I want to install software from the preconfigured repos (OSS and NON-OSS) and I got the following message:
    Code:
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss' metadata ...................................................................................................................................[error]
    Repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss' is invalid.
    [|] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
    Warning: Disabling repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss' because of the above error.
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Oss' metadata .......................................................................................................................................[error]
    Repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Oss' is invalid.
    [|] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
    Warning: Disabling repository 'openSUSE-12.3-Oss' because of the above error.
    I wonder if it's related to the fact that I installed RC2 and did not made any
    Code:
    zypper dup
    yet or there is really a problem on the mirror repositories geographically near to me.

    • Is there anybody with this problem?
    • Is there any procedure to upgrade from 12.3 rc2 to 12.3 factory/final version?

  2. #2
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    On 03/22/2013 04:36 PM, altmas5 wrote:
    > there is a really problem on the mirror repositories
    > geographically near to me.


    that would be my first guess....wait a while and it might clear up,
    or just pick a mirror from http://mirrors.opensuse.org/

    > - Is there any procedure to upgrade from 12.3 rc2 to 12.3
    > factory/final version?


    i think dup should do it, once you have all the right repos refreshed
    and enabled....and none of the wrong repos enabled!

    of course, if it were me i would make sure all my data is safe first.

    --
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory


  4. #4
    dd NNTP User

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    On 03/22/2013 05:56 PM, altmas5 wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.


    welcome! fyi, probably (if you want to) in a day or week you can
    change it back to the original, and it will ok again...

    the reason is that the software.opensuse.org address goes directly to
    a redirector (named mirrorbrain) which is supposed to be smart enough
    to direct your request to a nearby, fully functional, and up-to-date
    mirror....but, sometimes things go sideways......maybe a server was
    working great last time the the re-director self-tested it, then five
    minutes ago the server went on lunch break just as you tried to use it..

    happens...eventually the mirrorbrain will see the problem at the
    server and take it off the list of good servers..

    --
    dd


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    On 2013-03-23 01:06, dd wrote:

    > the reason is that the software.opensuse.org address goes directly to a
    > redirector (named mirrorbrain) which is supposed to be smart enough to
    > direct your request to a nearby, fully functional, and up-to-date
    > mirror....but, sometimes things go sideways......maybe a server was
    > working great last time the the re-director self-tested it, then five
    > minutes ago the server went on lunch break just as you tried to use it..
    >
    > happens...eventually the mirrorbrain will see the problem at the server
    > and take it off the list of good servers..


    There is also a feature that has been silently removed.

    A few years back, yast and zypper used the redirector to get the address
    of several mirrors for the same package, downloading from several
    sources simultaneously, automatically ignoring those that did not
    respond. It was not the default behaviour, then it was, then I believe
    has been removed.

    That is, it used metalink technology, via aria2c.

    One benefit was bypassing bad mirrors - but it did not always work.



    Or something of the sort, I'm writing from memory. I can't find my notes
    on it. :-(

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    On 2013-03-23 01:43, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2013-03-23 01:06, dd wrote:



    > One benefit was bypassing bad mirrors - but it did not always work.
    >
    >
    >
    > Or something of the sort, I'm writing from memory. I can't find my notes
    > on it. :-(


    I found a reference. It was enabled with this:

    Code:
    export ZYPP_ARIA2C=1
    I don't know if it still works. This was used in 2009.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-03-23 01:06, dd wrote:

    > the reason is that the software.opensuse.org address goes directly to a
    > redirector (named mirrorbrain) which is supposed to be smart enough to
    > direct your request to a nearby, fully functional, and up-to-date
    > mirror....but, sometimes things go sideways......maybe a server was
    > working great last time the the re-director self-tested it, then five
    > minutes ago the server went on lunch break just as you tried to use it..
    >
    > happens...eventually the mirrorbrain will see the problem at the server
    > and take it off the list of good servers..


    There is also a feature that has been silently removed.

    A few years back, yast and zypper used the redirector to get the address
    of several mirrors for the same package, downloading from several
    sources simultaneously, automatically ignoring those that did not
    respond. It was not the default behaviour, then it was, then I believe
    has been removed.

    That is, it used metalink technology, via aria2c.

    One benefit was bypassing bad mirrors - but it did not always work.



    Or something of the sort, I'm writing from memory. I can't find my notes
    on it. :-(

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)
    Hi again Robin,

    I am trying to use the ZYPP_ARIA2C feature but is not working as a workaround for the frequently corruption in repos.
    Right now I am getting to many problems with mirrors geographical near to me and my job is affected in a lot of ways
    I am getting this kind of messages:
    • Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    • Digest verification failed
    • Package foo seems to be corrupted during transfer


    Which would be the procedure for comparing the mirrors package against the real download.opensuse.org? I Try to download packages and make a checksum but mirrorbrain always redirect me to the mirror.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    On 2013-07-29 19:46, altmas5 wrote:

    > Hi again Robin,
    >
    > I am trying to use the ZYPP_ARIA2C feature but is not working as a
    > workaround for the frequently corruption in repos.
    > Right now I am getting to many problems with mirrors geographical near
    > to me and my job is affected in a lot of ways
    > I am getting this kind of messages:
    >
    > - Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    > - Digest verification failed
    > - Package foo seems to be corrupted during transfer
    >
    >
    > Which would be the procedure for comparing the mirrors package against
    > the real download.opensuse.org? I Try to download packages and make a
    > checksum but mirrorbrain always redirect me to the mirror.


    IF there are so many problem, you would have to report to the people
    responsible for the infrastructure so that they check if the problems
    are real, ie, if these mirrors are serving corrupted packages, so that
    they talk with the people responsible and the issue is corrected, or
    those mirrors are removed from the lists.

    Code:
    https://en.opensuse.org/Infrastructure_policy
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Services_help
    Where it says "or use Bugzilla with the Product openSUSE.org and the
    Component Download Infrastructure"


    Alternatively, and more probable, there is a problem with your network.

    Notice that the "real" download link is not accessible. Just by chance.

    You can get the list of mirrors yourself, and compare several mirrors
    between them. It is impossible that all are wrong.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nicaragua
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: update from 12.3 RC2 to 12.3 Factory

    Thank you Carlos.

    I filed a bug in mirrors infraestructure as you pointed

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •