Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple issues with openSUSE 12.3?

Default Multiple issues with openSUSE 12.3?

Hi all.

I've recently downloaded openSUSE 12.3 64 bit, but haven't installed it yet. I originally had just a doubt regarding suggested file system to use, but seeing how many people are having general trouble, especially with boot issues:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ulti-boot.html
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2535809
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ing-grub2.html

I always do a clean installation from DVD, and I have this partition settings right now:
    SUSE Paste
    The 43 Gb partition is Windows 7, the 81 Gb one is for data and backups (no boot from here). The rest of partitions are Linux system ones (as it can be seen). Though I was willing to first switching from Win 7 to Win 8, using the 43 Gb partition, then installing openSUSE 12.3 (it's said that a Windows installation unfortunately corrupts Grub and makes Linux unbootable).

So I had some doubts:
    1. Are my settings right, or could they potentially give problems with Windows 8 and openSUSE 12.3?
    2. Why is it that there seems to be several boot, Nvidia, or probably other kind of problems? (I'm Nvidia user...)
    3. Should I use Btrfs or keep with ext4?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Multiple issues with openSUSE 12.3?

You should be fine, go for it.

You setup looks fine to me.... Although 24GB is pretty small for /root and /home both but it will probably work for a while. Just use ext4, you will not get any benefit from using btrfs in any way.
    When ever I set up a dual boot pc there are always a few rules I pay attention to and it seems to work out. Do not skip any rules and follow them in order.
    1) make sure you have a bios that will let you switch around the boot drives, in your case this does not matter since you only have one HDD, sda.
    2) make sure on your First install that the bootloader is always installed to the root partition and Not the MBR of the drive you are booting.
    3) make sure you are installing the boot loader to where you want it to be in either the /root or the MBR of the drive /sda, /sdb etc....you want to use. In your case you only have one so it will be the /root on /dev/sda6.
    4) make sure you can boot everything including Windows before you install the bootloader to the MBR.
    5) Once everything is booting as expected then you May want to install the bootloader to the MBR but I usually just leave it where it is.

If you have questions about the installer settings to accomplish the above then make another post.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

Thanks for you help.
    But now, why do you think there are being several problems form users with 12.3, as mentioned in the links?

Oh, and I heard about another important problem: multimedia codecs. Seems the multimedia guide for 12.3 has some kind of errors because most of the packages it mentions have conflicts! My friend told me he first had to do the one-click way first, then open an iTunes trailer and see what missing packages it asked for, then install them with Yast Software Manager.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    Thanks for you help.
    But now, why do you think there are being several problems form users with 12.3, as mentioned in the links?

Oh, and I heard about another important problem: multimedia codecs. Seems the multimedia guide for 12.3 has some kind of errors because most of the packages it mentions have conflicts! My friend told me he first had to do the one-click way first, then open an iTunes trailer and see what missing packages it asked for, then install them with Yast Software Manager.
    What errors specifically?
    I used it myself and it was fine, though it required some input on my part. I was tempted to say intelligent input, but that may be pushing it
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    I am not seeing any problems. There are a few posts about problems, but they are relatively few.

The one frequent problem is: after reboot, then final install steps, the network does not work until another reboot.

However, this seems relatively minor to me. After a reboot, the network is usually fine.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Finally, what about the mentioned multimedia codecs issues?

What codecs?
    fluendo should automagically installed with your first update.
    yast software management
    packman should have the rest yast software repositories add specify url Index of /pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_12.3
    Dale
    Computer ntel Next Unit of Computing Kit, Black/Grey BOXDCCP847DYE
    Processor intel celeron 847 @ 1.1 GHz
    Video intel sandybridge mobile

I mean the multimedia packages issue I already mentioned. I was told that by following the guide for 12.3 many packages conflicted or installed but not correctly, or kind of.
    I don't know why are you suggesting that mirror instead of the standard inode.at one, they seem to have the same packages.
    But before this gets offtopic, perhaps I should better post it on the other subforum, though it'd be nice if mr Caf could answer as well...

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post

However, this seems relatively minor to me. After a reboot, the network is usually fine.
    This is useless for a LIVE LINUX system so KDE live linux does not work Repeat does not work!
    Regards
    Eionmac
    openSUSE LEAP 15.1 , Windows 10 ; Various old computers dual boot and Live Linux distros

Am 19.03.2013 01:06, schrieb eionmac:
    > This is useless for a LIVE LINUX system so KDE live linux does not work
    > Repeat does not work!
    >

Not sure but have you tried in a terminal
    Code:
    su -
    rcnetwork restart
    that fixes the network problem in 12.3 for me without having to do a reboot.
    Does the network problem apply at all to a live CD?

--
    PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.10.1 | GTX 650 Ti
    ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.10.1 | HD 3000
    eCAFE 800: oS 12.2 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast