Thread: Totem doesn't start under fresh install OpenSUSE 12.3 XFCE

Default Totem doesn't start under fresh install OpenSUSE 12.3 XFCE

Hello,
    I have a problem with Totem video player under fresh install of OpenSUSE 12.3 XFCE. When I start Totem, the window opens with a sign "Some necessary plug-ins are missing. Make sure that the program is correctly installed." after I click OK, Totem shuts down.
    After opening totem in terminal, this warning massages are shown:

** (totem:2538): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
    NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
    NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).

** (totem:2538): WARNING **: Element 'scaletempo' is missing, verify your installation

(totem:2538): Gtk-WARNING **: A floating object was finalized. This means that someone
    called g_object_unref() on an object that had only a floating
    reference; the initial floating reference is not owned by anyone
    and must be removed with g_object_ref_sink().

(totem:2538): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkMenuBar 0x1b1dd60 is mapped but visible=1 child_visible=1 parent GtkApplicationWindow 0x1a4c080 mapped=0

It's a fresh install, I already installed NVIDIA proprietary drivers from nvidia repo, but I think the Totem didn't even start with Nouveau drivers. I have no problems with other gstreamer program (Rhythmbox) or playing video in VLC. I also already installe non-OSS codecs.
    Did anyone run into this problem? Is it XFCE <-> GTK related problem? I tried reinstalling totem and totem-plugins, but the problem prevails.

Default Re: Totem doesn't start under fresh install OpenSUSE 12.3 XFCE

I can't say I know how to fix your problem with Totem but you should be able to fix the permissions problem by adding yourself to the "video" group. Log out then back in and try it again.

Just for kicks, have you tried creating another user, and logging in as that user to run Totem? Sometimes with an upgrade the config files can cause the program to fail.

Hope that helps.
    If I am going to be spontaneous, I have to plan for it.

www.CubicleNate.com

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

We may try re-installing multimedia
    Restricted formats/12.3 - openSUSE Community Wiki
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Thanks for suggestions. Adding user to a video group solved the permission problem indeed. It seems strange to me, that user is not added to video group by default. But the rest of the problem prevails.
    This is not an upgraded system, it's a fresh install.
    I also tried creating another user and the problem is the same.
    Guess I'll be using SMplayer or VLC. I have no problems with those, even vdpau acceleration works.

OK, so I found the problem.
    It's bug 810376
    According to discussion, I installed gstreamer-plugins-bad packages. This package is required for Totem to run. Now Totem works fine (I still have some codec problems but they are unrelated to this bug).