[OpenSuse 12.3] Plasma-desktop won't start after upgrade from 12.2 to 12.3

Hello,

I was wonder could you please helo me with one issue. Recently I’ve tried to upgrade my system according to the tutorial on the below web page:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

everything seems to worked just fine till moment of restarting my computer. After restart I cannot run plasma-desktop and my sound from speakers has disappeared but still I can hear sound in headphones. When I try to run plasma-netbook it starts just fine. I will really appreciate your help. If someone wants to help me I will send logs from plasma-desktop running in console. I don’t know exactly how to add them here. Should I add them as usual text ? or is there possibility to add file ?

BR,
lazureus

Logout, in the login screen hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, login with username and password, and do:

rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasm*

This will bring back the default KDE desktop, you will have to reapply your personal preferences re. the desktop appearance.

It worked with the plasma desktop :slight_smile: and it was so simple, However I’d really want to know what has happened during upgrade ? Is this happened because I’ve done upgrade without logining out of KDE ? Do you maybe know what can go wrong and why ? BTW my sound still won’t work if you could give me a hint what should I check ?

BR,
lazureus

Being logged in could have something to do with this, but it shouldn’t. IME it’s often widgets causing this, i.e. never happens on a default desktop. Sometimes older widgets cause this.
On your sound: start a new thread, with clear title etc. That would draw more attention from the audio gurus :).

Basically I wasn’t using any build-in widgets, just 3rd party conky as system monitoring purposes. I remeber that after upgrade my computer tried to restart but it takes so long that I though that it just hang out and I reset it hard, as I notice later it requires few minutes to restart, when I tried to run upgrade one more time.

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate this.
BR,
lazureus