KDE Tearing

I just installed 12.3 on on of my machines. I installed the Gnome version because I have been traditionally a Gnome guy, but I also installed KDE after that. I am running the proprietary NVIDIA driver and have no issue under Gnome, but in KDE I am getting tearing while moving windows and such. I found this odd because vsync is checked in both the NVIDIA settings and KDE desktop effects. Is this me missing something, or is anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks.

Nevermind, the tearing is gone. Must have been a weird glitch.

Those are the best problems. The ones that vanish into oblivion.

The only problem is that they only do so after you have posted about them. Very nasty rotfl!

Just to update, the tearing remains. It is, from my reading, an issue with Kwin 4.10. It is scheduled to be fixed in 4.11. This is unfortunate because KDE 4.10 is exceptional in many ways, but the tearing on the desktop makes it tremendously annoying and borderline unusable. I really wish they would backport the fix and get it out sooner than mid August when 4.11 is slated to be released.

Yep, sounds like this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=307965

Its a shame they’ve taken so long to fix this, intel and nvidia hardware is extremely common and as far as I’m concerned this bug makes KDE unusable (I use this computer to watch videos often, and this causes noticeable tearing at the top of videos). I tried setting kwin to disable compositing when smplayer was open and using gl output in smplayer, but it only removed tearing in some videos. I’ve been wanting to switch to KDE but this bug drives me insane.

I also tried using the intel xorg “TearFree” option which worked, but the performance was horrific.

Gnome actually has the same bug for intel, but at least there’s a very easy workaround for it (adding one line to /etc/environment).

I totally agree. KDE 4.10 is an otherwise very slick desktop, but having ugly tearing all over the desktop is awful. It’s even more awful that we won’t have a fix until likely 4.11 in November.

Well, with any luck when kde 4.11 comes out in august/september, it may be available in the kde:stable repo for 12.3 not too long after.