Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 12.3 System Hang

Default openSUSE 12.3 System Hang

I just upgraded my laptop, a Dell XPS15, NVIDIA Graphics, 8GB Memory which had been running on openSUSE 12.2 with no problems. So far everything seems to work fine as I had it configured before and I've done all the system patches, updates to KDE 4.10, NVIDIA proprietary drivers, etc. System installation went flawlessly including wireless configuration.

3 Times now the system has done a hard freeze. Only way to get out is hard power off and reboot. It reboots fine. 2 of the times it froze I was in YaST in the process of searching for programs and once doing my printer configuration. The third time I was in the KDE Configuration screen.

This system does not use UEFI, so I don't think it's related to the existing thread on that topic.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

dd NNTP User

Default Re: openSUSE 12.3 System Hang

On 03/16/2013 07:46 PM, DMCorsa wrote:
    > has done a hard freeze

if you open a konsole/terminal where you can see it while doing other
    stuff, and run top...what do you see move to the top of top during
    the freeze..

you maybe have to wait some seconds or minutes until top shows the
    problem..

oh, and how long do these hard freezes stay frozen--that is, how long
    to you wait to see if it clears itself (my experience is they often
    do! maybe in 5 or 50 minutes)

also, note the time of the next freeze and then look in the
    /var/log/messages around that time..

--
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

I will check var/messages next time I reboot after a freeze.

Once it freezes, it never comes back, absolutely nothing responds. I can't even close X using the CTL-ALT-BKSP-BKSP
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

dd NNTP User

On 03/16/2013 09:26 PM, DMCorsa wrote:
    > it never comes back, absolutely nothing responds.

so, still try having top visible...it might tell something..

and, if you know the nearly correct time for a recent freeze you
    should be able to find it in the log..

even if you immediately check the log after a crash/reboot the
    evidence won't be at the end of the log..

--
    dd

Blog Entries

Some users with nVidia hardware have been reporting problems wrt nVidia stability - which they worked around by adding their user to group 'video'. I suspect this is NOT the case for you (possibly your user already belongs to group video), but you could check just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    On 03/16/2013 09:26 PM, DMCorsa wrote:
    > it never comes back, absolutely nothing responds.

so, still try having top visible...it might tell something..

and, if you know the nearly correct time for a recent freeze you
    should be able to find it in the log..

even if you immediately check the log after a crash/reboot the
    evidence won't be at the end of the log..

--
    dd
    Ok, I will try that and leave it open while I run. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Some users with nVidia hardware have been reporting problems wrt nVidia stability - which they worked around by adding their user to group 'video'. I suspect this is NOT the case for you (possibly your user already belongs to group video), but you could check just in case.
    Thanks. I checked, I was not a member of the group 'video'. I've added myself and will see if things improve any. Thanks as always.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMCorsa View Post
    Thanks. I checked, I was not a member of the group 'video'. I've added myself and will see if things improve any. Thanks as always.
    I hope it works.

Note since a complete log out/in of GNU/Linux (not just the desktop, but GNU/Linux) is necessary to apply the new user settings, in which as a reboot is often easiest in this case to confirm functionality.

I have the same problem, on a Dell Precision M6700.
    Nothing seems to help and most importantly: it is not clear what is the root cause of this issue.
    I did add my user to the "video" group, but it does not seem to be a fix. Moreover, the system does not get "convinced" in any way to use the nVidia drivers - I did install the proprietary packages from nVidia, but it seems that the system is still using generic Xorg stuff.

At around the time of the freezes the /var/log/messages log seems to complain about networking - and, btw, the wireless is very flaky - it goes up and down, with most of the time working in a very slow mode. Again - there is no indication on why is it so, and it might point to the overall issue.

I just upgraded the BIOS to the latest from DELL and wait and see what happens, but I'm not sure that was the problem either.

Any tips, hints, advices are more than welcome - I'm a long, very long time SuSE/openSuSE fan and I'd love to continue using it. At the current point in time, I cannot even go back to 12.2 (other issues about the installation media that does not seem to succeed booting - I tried both USB stick and CD media - but this should be an issue for a different thread).

Thanks,
    --bjh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bjh View Post
    I have the same problem, on a Dell Precision M6700.
    Nothing seems to help and most importantly: it is not clear what is the root cause of this issue.
    I did add my user to the "video" group, but it does not seem to be a fix. Moreover, the system does not get "convinced" in any way to use the nVidia drivers - I did install the proprietary packages from nVidia, but it seems that the system is still using generic Xorg stuff.
    The log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log may gave some more information on this. How about copying that and pasting it into SUSE Paste and press contribute on that site, and then when it gives you a web/url-address where that pasted content is located, post here the web/url-address.

Quote Originally Posted by bjh View Post
    At around the time of the freezes the /var/log/messages log seems to complain about networking - and, btw, the wireless is very flaky - it goes up and down, with most of the time working in a very slow mode. Again - there is no indication on why is it so, and it might point to the overall issue.
    ... I'm trying to visualize what you are describing. You say your install of the proprietary driver on your PC did not work and another driver is being used, and this 'other' driver freezes during network disconnects ?

Can you please also provide the output of the command sent inside a terminal:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    You note you can not go back to 12.2. Does that mean you are on 12.3 ? What desktop ? What method did you using to install the proprietary nvidia driver ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast