Thread: openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

Default openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

As you're preparing to install openSUSE 12.3, take a minute and peruse the release notes for any last-minute information and tips.

Have a lot of fun!

Jim
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Exclamation Re: openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    As you're preparing to install openSUSE 12.3, take a minute and peruse the release notes for any last-minute information and tips.

Have a lot of fun!

Jim
    Release notes still recommend "nomodeset" syntax for resolving graphical problems with legacy hardware.

Using alternative syntax for same function i.e. "modeset=0" will be much more reliable. nomodeset will probably no longer work with new linux kernel.

Use modeset=0 instead

I suggest corrected Release Notes issued immediately and the current one pulled!

Default Re: openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

On 2013-03-21 11:16, smudgy wrote:
    > I suggest corrected Release Notes issued immediately and the current
    > one pulled!

--> bugzilla.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

Exclamation Re: openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-03-21 11:16, smudgy wrote:
    > I suggest corrected Release Notes issued immediately and the current
    > one pulled!

--> bugzilla.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    Update

May be more complicated than I thought.

First reboot with modeset=0 worked fine. But subsequent reboots no X session as if KMS was on. There may be some flag blocking KMS and opensource radeon drivers are rapidly moving to drop nomodeset support.

I suspect an issue with the new radeon driver so that users who were previously using nomodeset should instead be directed to information that will enable them to upgrade/install 12.3 with an older version of the open-source radeon driver. Future versions of the driver will in fact have KMS only so that users of older radeon cards including mobility chips in laptops will need to configure kernels etc before installing upgrades.

[Phoronix] Radeon Kernel Driver Deprecates UMS Mode-Setting

With the release of xf86-video-ati 7.0.0 in November, the X.Org driver for Radeon GPUs now only handles kernel mode-setting. While for a couple years most desktop Linux distributions have been using the KMS graphics drivers, maintaining user-space mode-setting after the introduction of Radeon KMS support was mostly done for continuing to properly support the GPUs in the older enterprise Linux distributions running on older kernel releases. Fortunately, modern enterprise Linux distributions are in a KMS-enabled world.

(...Not everyone is running enterprise-level hardware whatever that might be ..)

I would propose all this information be referenced in Release Notes as it is not trivial and unless Linux proposes just to pay lip service to users who don't particularly want to put laptops with 1GHZ CPU/1Gb of Ram etc in the trash when Linux is being advertised as able to run on legacy hardware with half the memory or less etc.

Referenced would mean links to the tutorial info on installing/rolling back the xorg radeon driver as well as kernel config/compilation for the issue. It is going to be a widespread issue I imagine as there are lots of users recycling pc's and laptops with linux.

-

Default Re: openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes

On 2013-04-12 15:36, smudgy wrote:
    > I would propose all this information be referenced in Release Notes as
    > it is not trivial

--> bugzilla.

You can not propose anything in the forums, we are just users.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.