Thread: Plymouth not presenting password dialog for encrypted home device

Exclamation Plymouth not presenting password dialog for encrypted home device

Yesterday I've upgraded my system from 12.2 to 12.3. Now I'm not able to access my system anymore. My Home is encrypted and with 12.2 Plymouth presented me a password dialog to decrypt the device. Now there is no dialog to enter my password. When leaving the graphical interface by pressing escape, shows that the control transfer has taken place, but I'm not able to enter anything. After like a minute, minute and half it continues booting with an error message that cr_home couldn't be decrypted. Once getting to KDM I can log into KDE with the root account, but I'm not able to mount the home device (which is a hardware raid1 config).

12.2 Had a similar issue at the early stages that you didn't see a password dialog, but than I was able to enter the password on the terminal interface and continue onwards. In later stages an update was made available that enabled the use of the graphical interface while entering the password.

Is there a work around for this issue?
    Main: openSUSE Tumbleweed | KDE | AMD A8-7600 R7 | 16GB | Xonar Essence STX
    Laptop: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE | Intel i5-2520M | 8GB | Intel HD

Blog Entries

Default Re: Plymouth not presenting password dialog for encrypted home device

Does it work with a recovery boot? I think that does not use Plymouth, so there's more chance that you can get to a prompt for the key.

If that works, and the system comes up with "/home" mounted, then try doing (as root)

mkinitrd

I don't have RAID, but I do use crypto. My experience is that the "mkinitrd" done while running from the installer is incomplete, and things don't quite work properly until another "mkinitrd" is done from the running system itself.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thumbs down Re: Plymouth not presenting password dialog for encrypted home device

It does not work with recovery boot as well. I've rebooted the system multiple times now and on one occasion I was able to enter my passphrase, though I only had like 20 seconds, before it continued its bootcycle. In other words my system is messed now and I have to downgrade, which will cost me another evening....

Default Re: Plymouth not presenting password dialog for encrypted home device

Eventually I got it to work, but I'm disappointed in how I had to resolve this issue.

I've downloaded the image for Network install from the site and burned that to a CD.

First effort (unsuccessful):
    • Rebooted system and started from CD.
    • Choose the option of updating existing installation within the installer.
    • After a little wait the system rebooted and dropped to the prompt. I could enter my passphrase, but OS dropped to the prompt and didn't continue my installation.

Second effort (successful):
    • Rebooted system and started from CD.
    • Choose "new installation" within the installer.
    • After a wait, the system rebooted prompted me for my passphrase (on the Plymouth screen)
    • Installer finished and I'm now back into my system.

Too bad I now have to reinstall everything again that was on there, which was not the idea with the upgrade.