Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 199

Thread: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

  1. #11

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by hank_se View Post
    Unfortunatly that will only work if your system has a mux, i.e. has an entry in the BIOS for switching graphics device, few systems has that feature.
    Now bumblebee for 12.3 is under development, it will take some time until it works on all systems, meanwhile, if your system doesn't provide a mux, you might try another approach, in order to prolong your battery life time and make your system run cooler.

    Here's howto:

    Uninstall all but dkms in the nvidia.bumblebee repo, keep the repo. you might return to it.
    Uninstall all but dkms and dkms-bbswitch in the bumblebee repo, keep the repo.
    Blacklist nouveau in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    Add the following lines to /etc/init.d/boot.local

    Code:
    modprobe bbswitch
    tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<OFF
    Reboot and confirm that cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch returns OFF. Running on battery check the output of cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state, switch on the Nvidia card with tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<ON, check battery again. The last check shows what your system consumes without bbswitch. Now switch Nvidia off with tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<OFF, run some tests glxgears a youtube video, maybe you're pleased with the perfomance of the Intel graphics?
    Well,I would really like to play Steam Source games on my openSUSE 12.3, as I have already ditched windows... Can you please provide us a timeframe? Or perhaps an explanation why isn't this working on 12.3? I appreciate all your efforts, thank you very much!

  2. #12

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3


    I have also encountered the same issue.

    Code:
    # primusrun glxinfo2
    name of display: :0
    Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0".
    display: :0  screen: 0
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    server glx extensions:
    ...
    Code:
    # primusrun glxinfo2 | grep OpenGL
    Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0".
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.0 Mesa 9.0.2)
    OpenGL extensions:
    Code:
    Also I have noticed that there are two symbolic links created under /usr/lib64/nvidia:
    # ls -l libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23  Mar 14 23:17 libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.313.18
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23  Mar 14 23:17 libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.313.18
    
    # ls -l libXvMCNVIDIA.so.313.18
    ls: cannot access libXvMCNVIDIA.so.313.18: No such file or directory
    However, the file libXvMCNVIDIA.so.313.18 does not exist. Since the packages download and install the code themselves, I am not sure which packages provide these files. Is it related to the issue we have encountered?

  3. #13

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Well, same problem here, but I get it working under my 12.4 x64 installation with the Overman Repo enabled. I opened up /usr/bin/primusrun with my favourite texteditor as root and changed /enabled the following line (deleted # at the front of this line):

    Code:
    export PRIMUS_libGLd=${PRIMUS_libGLd:-'/usr/$LIB/libGL.so.1'}
    which does mean the section "# "Displaying" libGL".

    64-Bit Application are working fine with this configuration, for e. g.

    Code:
    primusrun glxspheres
    gives the following output:

    Code:
    Polygons in scene: 62464
    Visual ID of window: 0xae
    Context is Direct
    OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
    60.769747 frames/sec - 67.819037 Mpixels/sec
    60.136818 frames/sec - 67.112689 Mpixels/sec
    60.123018 frames/sec - 67.097289 Mpixels/sec
    but if I try to start a 32-Bit Application, for e. g. a game with WINE / Crossover. The program itself crashes and says:

    Code:
    primus: fatal: failed to load any of the libraries: /usr/$LIB/nvidia/libGL.so.1
    libnvidia-tls.so.310.40: wrong ELF-Class: ELFCLASS64
    When I'm trying to start the same application / Game with optirun, X crashes ...
    Well, primus-32bit is installed, so I don't get where the problem actually is.

    Any suggestions here?

    Greetings

  4. #14

    Exclamation Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxrecon View Post
    Well, same problem here, but I get it working under my 12.4 x64 installation with the Overman Repo enabled. I opened up /usr/bin/primusrun with my favourite texteditor as root and changed /enabled the following line (deleted # at the front of this line):

    Code:
    export PRIMUS_libGLd=${PRIMUS_libGLd:-'/usr/$LIB/libGL.so.1'}
    which does mean the section "# "Displaying" libGL".

    64-Bit Application are working fine with this configuration, for e. g.

    Code:
    primusrun glxspheres
    gives the following output:

    Code:
    Polygons in scene: 62464
    Visual ID of window: 0xae
    Context is Direct
    OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
    60.769747 frames/sec - 67.819037 Mpixels/sec
    60.136818 frames/sec - 67.112689 Mpixels/sec
    60.123018 frames/sec - 67.097289 Mpixels/sec
    but if I try to start a 32-Bit Application, for e. g. a game with WINE / Crossover. The program itself crashes and says:

    Code:
    primus: fatal: failed to load any of the libraries: /usr/$LIB/nvidia/libGL.so.1
    libnvidia-tls.so.310.40: wrong ELF-Class: ELFCLASS64
    When I'm trying to start the same application / Game with optirun, X crashes ...
    Well, primus-32bit is installed, so I don't get where the problem actually is.

    Any suggestions here?

    Greetings
    Funny noticing... On a clean install of openSUSE 12.3, after adding Overman79's bumblebee repo, there are no libraries? Does anyone else have the same problem? Thanks in advance!

  5. #15

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by miniclip22 View Post
    Funny noticing... On a clean install of openSUSE 12.3, after adding Overman79's bumblebee repo, there are no libraries? Does anyone else have the same problem? Thanks in advance!
    I think the Overman79's bumblebee repo moved to:
    Index of /repositories/home:/Overman79:/Laptop/openSUSE_12.3

    That works for me!

    Edit:
    I have actually some errors... Yesterday everything was ok, after today's update i have:
    Code:
    optirun -v glxinfo2
    [ 3887.434483] [INFO]Configured driver: nvidia
    [ 3887.456949] [INFO]Response: No - error: [XORG] (EE) Failed to load module "glamoregl" (module does not exist, 0)
    
    [ 3887.456970] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) Failed to load module "glamoregl" (module does not exist, 0)
    
    [ 3887.456989] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    and:
    Code:
    primusrun glxinfo2 | grep OpenG
    Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0".
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile 
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.0 Mesa 9.0.2)
    OpenGL extensions:

  6. #16

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    I would advice not to use that repo I posted before, it broke my bumblebee installation, the owner is changing the packages names and making other modifications, I think it's in a sort of beta and not good for use for now!

  7. #17

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Like Dreamer4235 I also suggest not to use the repository. I ended up with a broken bumblebee installation by this.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,649
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Had some issues yesterday. A bumblebee update removed the bumblebee group and it's members. Furthermore the need to be a "video" group member seems to come and go. A work in progress so to say.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  9. #19

    Exclamation Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Had some issues yesterday. A bumblebee update removed the bumblebee group and it's members. Furthermore the need to be a "video" group member seems to come and go. A work in progress so to say.
    So what repo shall I use? I have tried the above, and it broke my attempt of having bumblebee working... With the exam same error... So what repo shall I use and how shall I install bumblebee, or how long will it take to get it functional? Thanks in advance!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,649
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Setup bumblebee and primus in openSUSE 12.3

    Use this article: Smithfarm - the Brain: openSUSE 12.2: How to install 'bumblebee' for NVIDIA Optimus VGA and replace references to Factory and 12.2 by 12.3. Tested this afternoon, works for me.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •