Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ThinkorSwim Trading Platform on SUSE

Default ThinkorSwim Trading Platform on SUSE

Hi..new, but old guy here. Having just rid myself of 30 years of DOS/Windows, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I keep hearing the words, “what took you so long,” to find the Linux store. Yes, its exciting, but overwhelming. My current dilemma is, installing my first program via command line.

The program is Think Or Swim's trading platform, and the instructions or based on installing to an Ubuntu machine. They are very clear, however I've not been successful after numerous attempts to get the program up and running.

If anyone has the time, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Here are the instructions for a Ubuntu install – my system is a SUSE 12.2 with KDE.

http://mediaserver.thinkorswim.com/s...untuhow-to.pdf

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre

First problem, sudo get-apt, is not a valid command on my SUSE/KDE system.
    Next, the path is not correct for my SUSE file structure.
    Additionally, Java 6 is not installed on my system (Java 6 is a requirement for the TOS program).

So following his link, Oracle Technology Network for Java Developers to download Java 6, I'm confronted to make decision on which Java 6 to download. Even then, I do not know what the correct path for Java 6 would be for my system.

The only thing that I've accomplished in the last week from their instructions, is to download their installer file, thinkorswim_installer.sh.

Hopefully, they have supplied enough info, so that someone can direct me how to get the program up and running.

Blog Entries

Default Re: ThinkorSwim Trading Platform on SUSE

You can easily install Java 6 JRE from the standard openSUSE repos.
    You may need to configure your HOME envirnment variable, do do in your /etc/profile.local

But, the big question is how they wrote the main app installer, if it tries to pull down packages (likely) it will fail on any but a Debian system. You'll need to contact the company if they do that. If they can provide source (unlikely) then you can try to do so after installing the openSUSE package versions of prerequisites.

I doubt that simply running the alien compatibility installer will work without more info.

a good option would be to install your choice of virtualization, then install Ubuntu and the app in a VM.

TSU

tsu2 gave you good advice! While I use SuSE 12.2 rather than Ubuntu the problem is the same. T.D. Ameritrade has not upgraded to newer versions of JAVA and according to their Tech reps they possibly never will when it comes to running their software on Linux. Thinkorswim runs fine on SuSE 11.4 but newer versions ---no! The best solution is as tsu2 described! I run Thinkorswim using XP running in VBox and it works great -- granted is an insult to have to lower ones self to using windows while running Linux but this is not a problem with Linux rather a vender that is not in the mood to upgrade its excellent software.
    Hope this helped!

Thanks to both. I did not think about the VM option, so I'll get it a try. I appreciate your quick responses.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Since it is java based stuff we probably don't require VM
    you should already have openJDK installed. if software installaer doesn't start/work with eith openJDK. then get did of it zypper rm *openjdk* in terminal
    the install jdk 1.6 using this link .(community user created this)
    then launch installer
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    Since it is java based stuff we probably don't require VM
    you should already have openJDK installed. if software installaer doesn't start/work with eith openJDK. then get did of it zypper rm *openjdk* in terminal
    the install jdk 1.6 using this link .(community user created this)
    then launch installer
    Launching the installer should work, the question is whether the install is only a pre-configured WAR or requires additional packages. If only a WAR, then will run fine but if it pulls additional packages then it won't work easily.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by rklipp View Post
    Thinkorswim runs fine on SuSE 11.4 but newer versions ---no!
    Nonesense - it works just fine on 12.2.

I've already discussed this, so no sense repeating: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2495273
    - I'll note that the network manager related issue does not seem to apply anymore (as far as I've seen in the last while)
    - openjdk 1.7 works fine, no oracle/sun java required (from my limited testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    Nonesense - it works just fine on 12.2.

I've already discussed this, so no sense repeating: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2495273
    - I'll note that the network manager related issue does not seem to apply anymore (as far as I've seen in the last while)
    - openjdk 1.7 works fine, no oracle/sun java required (from my limited testing)
    Hi..I did come across your post, and it sounds encouraging, but I'm in need of a clear step-by-step methodical process.

I've been able to get through the set-up phase, up to log-in, but after entering user-name and password the progress bar indicator never begins.

I re-installed openSUSE, recently, so I do not have the logs, now, but looking at them last week, they seem to indicate that Java related errors begin around the period following log-in. But, again, remember I am a novice, and really don't have clue to what I was reading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nozno1 View Post
    I've been able to get through the set-up phase, up to log-in, but after entering user-name and password the progress bar indicator never begins.
    Okay, that describes perfectly the prior behaviour that I saw. And yes, the logs seemed to indicate a java problem (I may have written that in the other thread, I don't remember).

Anyway, try this:

Go into Yast > Network Devices > Network Settings > Global Options > Network Setup Method > change from Network Manager to Traditional (or vice versa), click okay. Then after that's finished configuring , launch TOS again. If it works (and you will know right away as the progress bar will start to go as expected) then you can go back into Yast and configure the Network setup method to whatever type you prefer. Wash rinse repeat each time you run into the issue. As I indicated, I no longer run into this problem after every time the network manager package gets updated (which it does on a fairly often basis, though, this is entirely dependent upon which repos you use).

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    Okay, that describes perfectly the prior behaviour that I saw. And yes, the logs seemed to indicate a java problem (I may have written that in the other thread, I don't remember).

Anyway, try this:

Go into Yast > Network Devices > Network Settings > Global Options > Network Setup Method > change from Network Manager to Traditional (or vice versa), click okay. Then after that's finished configuring , launch TOS again. If it works (and you will know right away as the progress bar will start to go as expected) then you can go back into Yast and configure the Network setup method to whatever type you prefer. Wash rinse repeat each time you run into the issue. As I indicated, I no longer run into this problem after every time the network manager package gets updated (which it does on a fairly often basis, though, this is entirely dependent upon which repos you use).
    Thank you for the info. These are the actions I took.
    - from terminal I entered: chmod 770 ./thinkorswim_installer.sh, then
    - I entered: ./thinkorswim_installer.sh, then
    -during the installation process the only thing I changed was: where the program should be installed, the default was: usr/local/thinkorswim (staying with this default location results in me not having permission), so I selected home/tr, and that resulted in the program being downloaded in the thinkorswim directory (home/tr/thinkorswim)
    - after the installation, the program failed to load after logging in. I followed your suggestion which disconnected me from the internet, and I was unable to configure any settings that allowed me to connect with the Traditional Method selected.

Where there is a will there is a way - I know I'll get there, but at this stage I'm not sure of the next move. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast