Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: unable choose desktop environment on login

  1. #1

    Default unable choose desktop environment on login

    Hello!
    I am new to linux and opensuse.
    Sorry for my poor English.
    I am using opensuse 12.2 KDE X64.
    I use KDE for a few months. Because my computer , I try install XFCE . Then , I found there is little disk space on / . So , I try to uninstall KDE desktop . Afer I remove some package . opensuse can't display narmal login screen . It only show a iceWM login screen , and I can't choose XFCE to login.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,718

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    When you "remove some package", you can easily have broken things. But it is very difficult for everybody to tell you what you did remove, what should not have been removed when we do not know what you removed.

    I think the best is to re-install without KDE, but with XFCE. Of course keeping your /home untouched to preserve your personal data.

    And when possible try to use a larger / partition, because when it can not accomodate KDE and XFCE it must be very small (how big is it?).
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    Quote Originally Posted by lonfory View Post
    Hello!
    I am new to linux and opensuse.
    Sorry for my poor English.
    I am using opensuse 12.2 KDE X64.
    I use KDE for a few months. Because my computer , I try install XFCE . Then , I found there is little disk space on / . So , I try to uninstall KDE desktop . Afer I remove some package . opensuse can't display narmal login screen . It only show a iceWM login screen , and I can't choose XFCE to login.
    Thanks in advance.
    Do you have the package "xfdesktop" (xfdesktop - Desktop Manager for the Xfce Desktop Environment) installed on your machine ?
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you "remove some package", you can easily have broken things. But it is very difficult for everybody to tell you what you did remove, what should not have been removed when we do not know what you removed.

    I think the best is to re-install without KDE, but with XFCE. Of course keeping your /home untouched to preserve your personal data.

    And when possible try to use a larger / partition, because when it can not accomodate KDE and XFCE it must be very small (how big is it?).
    Thank you for your response.I install KDE pattern . The famaliar login screen come back after reboot .
    I install openSUSE several months ago . When I partition I try to leave 20GB to / partition .But the installation guide on openSUSE tell me ,can't leave 20GB to / partition .The maxsize of / partition is about 10GB. Before install openSUSE I splited 40GB free disk space for openSUSE . I install some software I like ,and there is 1GB or more left on / partition. Few days ago I try to install a office software of my contry , it is so large .After install that office software ,there is few hundrud MB disk space . So I try to unistall KDE to have more space for / .
    I don' t know how big is KDE ,there are a lot of packages .

  5. #5

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    Do you have the package "xfdesktop" (xfdesktop - Desktop Manager for the Xfce Desktop Environment) installed on your machine ?
    Thanks for your response.
    I have package "xfdesktop" installed on my computer.
    Problem have been solved ,see 4#.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    On 2013-03-10 23:46, lonfory wrote:
    > I install openSUSE several months ago . When I partition I try to
    > leave 20GB to / partition .But the installation guide on openSUSE tell
    > me ,can't leave 20GB to / partition .The maxsize of / partition is about
    > 10GB


    My root filesystem is 30 GB. Nobody tells me I can't have more.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  7. #7

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    On 03/11/2013 07:08 AM, Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2013-03-10 23:46, lonfory wrote:
    >> I install openSUSE several months ago . When I partition I try to
    >> leave 20GB to / partition .But the installation guide on openSUSE tell
    >> me ,can't leave 20GB to / partition .The maxsize of / partition is about
    >> 10GB

    > My root filesystem is 30 GB. Nobody tells me I can't have more.
    >


    My root filesystem is 230GB. No one forces you to use any partition
    scheme, use what you feel comfortable with.

  8. #8

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-03-10 23:46, lonfory wrote:
    > I install openSUSE several months ago . When I partition I try to
    > leave 20GB to / partition .But the installation guide on openSUSE tell
    > me ,can't leave 20GB to / partition .The maxsize of / partition is about
    > 10GB


    My root filesystem is 30 GB. Nobody tells me I can't have more.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))
    when I install openSUSE 11.4 I give 20GB to root partition ,that is ok.
    while I try to install 12.2 Itry split 20GB to / as well . openSUSE tell me the max space for / is about 10GB .I don't know why.

    Thanks for your response.

  9. #9

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 03/11/2013 07:08 AM, Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2013-03-10 23:46, lonfory wrote:
    >> I install openSUSE several months ago . When I partition I try to
    >> leave 20GB to / partition .But the installation guide on openSUSE tell
    >> me ,can't leave 20GB to / partition .The maxsize of / partition is about
    >> 10GB

    > My root filesystem is 30 GB. Nobody tells me I can't have more.
    >


    My root filesystem is 230GB. No one forces you to use any partition
    scheme, use what you feel comfortable with.
    my old laptop has a 320GB HDD . I have install a windows 7 and have many files on my disk .There is little free space .

    Thank you for response.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: unable choose desktop environment on login

    On 2013-03-12 04:56, lonfory wrote:

    > when I install openSUSE 11.4 I give 20GB to root partition ,that is ok.
    > while I try to install 12.2 Itry split 20GB to / as well . openSUSE
    > tell me the max space for / is about 10GB .I don't know why.


    Use manual setup, then.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •