Thread: connecting to VM's from other computers (KVM / Virt-manager)

Default connecting to VM's from other computers (KVM / Virt-manager)

Situation:
    I have set up several VM's now (1x fedora 18, 1x Mint Debian, 1x opensuse 12.2 and 1x windows server 2012) with my opensuse 12.2 box (kvm/ virt-manager).
    What works:
    -I can use ssh to access any of the linux vm's from other computers (using their respective IP addresses assigned with DHCP from the router) within the local network, implying bridges *should* be configured properly.
    -VNC or SPICE to the host can be used to access the VM's
    What doesn't:
    I am having problems connecting any of the VM's using RDP or VNC directly. Only VNC or SPICE to the Host will work.

Any hints on how do I workaround that, or is that something by design that is not supposed to circumvent?

Blog Entries

Default Re: connecting to VM's from other computers (KVM / Virt-manager)

Quote Originally Posted by Thieh View Post
    Situation:
    I have set up several VM's now (1x fedora 18, 1x Mint Debian, 1x opensuse 12.2 and 1x windows server 2012) with my opensuse 12.2 box (kvm/ virt-manager).
    What works:
    -I can use ssh to access any of the linux vm's from other computers (using their respective IP addresses assigned with DHCP from the router) within the local network, implying bridges *should* be configured properly.
    -VNC or SPICE to the host can be used to access the VM's
    What doesn't:
    I am having problems connecting any of the VM's using RDP or VNC directly. Only VNC or SPICE to the Host will work.

Any hints on how do I workaround that, or is that something by design that is not supposed to circumvent?
    What have you tried to troubleshoot?

The most common problem of course is/are firewalls blocking.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    What have you tried to troubleshoot?

The most common problem of course is/are firewalls blocking.

TSU
    I tried turning firewall off for both the VM and the host, that didn't work (connection closed)
    RDP to Windows VM is simply a blank screen (window content is blank) after I enabled RDP access in the Windows VM

SSH was set up as part of the troubleshooting (SSH to linux VM's directly works)

Please let me know what logs I should post/further troubleshooting steps I should take.

Blog Entries

If you use one of the native options in virt-manager, you need to "Create connection" from within an instance of virt-manager. Of course, virt-manager does not run from within Windows directly if that is what you are trying to do. But note that SSH is a supported option

If you create your own solution to remote into your VM Host, that should work too altghough then it's not a native virt-manager solution. In that case, usual networking issues should apply.

TSU