Virt-manager networking

Here is what I have done:

1. Install opensuse 12.3 beta
  2. su -c ‘zypper up’
  3. reboot
  4. go to yast2, Install Hypervisor and Tools (KVM) under Virtualization
  5. reboot

Here is the symptom:
None of the network bridge(s) set up by yast2 during step 4 above are shown using su -c ‘brctl show’

Here is the goal:
to set up networking in such a way that I can connect vm’s (such as through SSH) from other computers over LAN; preferably having IP addresses in the same subnet as host

Please suggest steps to go forward (or steps starting from scratch). Please let me know which config files/logs to paste if you need any.

Are you using network-manager? Disable it and setup the bridge through Yast > Network Settings.

Yast2 > Netowrk Settings says I am using ifup. (I believe that was the default setting in both 12.2 and 12.3) and I tried to remake (delete then add) the bridges using Yast2 > Netowrk Settings to no avail.

It also seems like when I did the above steps with 12.2 the bridges show up for su -c ‘brctl show’, so it might be something of a bug/QA issue (perhaps the GUI tools) in 12.3

I have not looked at 12.3 yet (it just went to RC2 yesterday).

On my 12.2, I found that I had to manually create my br device, it was <not> created automatically.

If the same on yours, you need to go into Network Devices and create a br device binding to the interface of your choice.

TSU

Here is something else for your consideration when using QEMU-KVM…

Setting up on top of a br device is considered the “better” and traditional way of creating a virtual network…

Very recently (as of Dec 2012) an additional way of creating a network was “fully” integrated called User Mode Networking. Despite its “finished” integration, I have found it does seem to work fine in its default configuration but may not work or may be unstable if you try to modify the address space and related services (primarily DHCP).

User Mode Networking is derived from User Mode Linux, it creates a NAT network which will automatically bind to whatever network interface is available. This is cool if you have changing or not always available interfaces like on a mobile device (laptop), may not be as necessary if you have fixed, “always on” interfaces. There is supposed to be large overhead using this type of networking compared to binding to a br device, I haven’t tested.

HTH,
TSU

The issue seems resolved with the latest update. Thanks