Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing OpenSuse On Old Laptop

Default Re: Installing OpenSuse On Old Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I have 12.3 RC1 on my older laptop, with probably a slower processor.

If I boot into icewm, that goes pretty well.

If I boot into KDE, then I can go take a coffee break waiting for KDE to start up. But, once KDE has completed its slow startup, it seems almost as snappy as icewm. I'll give some credit to the KDE folk for that. They have managed to do things in a way so that the costs are paid at startup, rather than continuously. I guess that's a kind of optimization (moving slow code out of the main loop).
    But a system like Puppy that loads the OS to RAM is seriously quick in comparison (for the OP's hardware), The OP has stated an intention to increase the amount of RAM on the system, which can only help.

Hey, I have nothing against running openSUSE on this hardware, but it needs to be setup by someone with a fair level of knowledge of openSUSE to get a user experience that can be considered comparable to what can be easily achieved with Puppy or DSL, openSUSE is not designed for this, Puppy and DSL are.

Hi,
    I got Puppy booted from CD on desktop PC, then installed to USB and booted on EeePC, and then installed (Full) to SSD. As you say it certainly is very rapid; however after configuring my network printer, and toying about with it for a while I kind of went off it. I think I missed the more polished feel I get with OpenSuse.

Anyway to cut a long story short I scrubbed it, and I am now running OpenSuse again but this time with LXDE. I am liking this, I find it is nippy, and nicely 'polished'.

Regarding the issue of USB booting, my bios sees the USB stick as a hard drive, not removable media strangely enough, so I have to switch the drive priority which is a separate list from the boot device order list otherwise the stick doesn't boot.

Kindest Regards
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by miclac View Post
    Hi,
    I got Puppy booted from CD on desktop PC, then installed to USB and booted on EeePC, and then installed (Full) to SSD. As you say it certainly is very rapid; however after configuring my network printer, and toying about with it for a while I kind of went off it. I think I missed the more polished feel I get with OpenSuse.

Anyway to cut a long story short I scrubbed it, and I am now running OpenSuse again but this time with LXDE. I am liking this, I find it is nippy, and nicely 'polished'.

Regarding the issue of USB booting, my bios sees the USB stick as a hard drive, not removable media strangely enough, so I have to switch the drive priority which is a separate list from the boot device order list otherwise the stick doesn't boot.

Kindest Regards
    Michael
    From what I see the EeePC 1000 has an atom N270 CPU (at 1.6 GHz) and 1 GB ram, It also has a SSD not mechanical HDD.

This makes it a lot easier target for an openSUSE install than the OP's pentium II 400 MHz with 128 meg of RAM and a mechanical HDD, at that level is where you would see the main advantages of a distro like Puppy, designed specifically for low specked machines.

But certainly, openSUSE can run well on relatively low specked machines with a lightweight DE or WM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123