Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

  1. #21
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 13:43:06 GMT, "Carlos E. R."
    <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have my collection of CDs ripped to mp3, and I want to play them a CD
    >at a time.
    >
    >And I can't.
    >
    >Both want to organize by artists or something.
    >
    >For example, I have a CD by "Carreras, Domingo and Pavarotti". It is a
    >single album, but it appears as 3 in banshee. I can select the three and
    >play "them", but they are sorted by artist instead of the track number
    >in the album.
    >
    >
    >I would like a player that organizes the list by albums and allows me to
    >play the selected album in track order, the same as if I insert the CD
    >in the reader.
    >
    >Can it be done?
    >
    >Perhaps ignoring the collection as scanned by those programs and select
    >the directory on disk instead... :-?


    That sounds odd. I am pretty sure i can do that in either 1.4 or 2.0.
    Which version do you use?

    ?-)

  2. #22
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:08:05 GMT, "Carlos E. R."
    <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >On 2013-02-20 14:36, flymail wrote:
    >> On 2013-02-19, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >>> I would like to get it working with banshee as well, because as I use
    >>> XFCE, a gnome application is lighter. But amarok is a very nice application.

    >>
    >> I use Banshee and successfully play albums in the correct track order.If you right-click `Music' and select
    >> Preferences, under the `Source Specific' tab you can specify the hierarchy (I use Album Artist/Album).

    >
    >Ok, done that. The CD I mentioned previously appears as four items, one
    >for each artist in the CD. It should be a single entry.
    >
    >> Under the tools
    >> menu, you can `Fix MetaData' which should sort out dependencies associated with multiple artists (although I never have
    >> had to use this).

    >
    >Done that, no change.


    Not sure about the size or organization of your music. I have a moderate
    collection of about 10,000 tracks in about 5 directories containing
    something around 500 albums in a single directory tree. About 200 GB
    total of flac. I never encountered a problem with getting play random
    albums to work decently.

    Amarok 1.4 and 2.0.

    ?-)

  3. #23
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:35:51 GMT, flymail
    <flymail@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >On 2013-02-20, Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >> Ok, done that. The CD I mentioned previously appears as four items, one
    >> for each artist in the CD. It should be a single entry.
    >>
    >>> Under the tools
    >>> menu, you can `Fix MetaData' which should sort out dependencies associated with multiple artists (although I never have
    >>> had to use this).

    >>
    >> Done that, no change.
    >>

    >
    >Ok now I think I understand the problem you are having. Assuming your collection is in mp3 format, you need to edit the
    >tags for Banshee to deal with multiple artists (it doesn't seem to be assmart as Amarok). If you ctrl/shift-select all
    >tracks belonging to a single album, and use right-click to edit track information, you can tick the check-box for
    >flagging a compilation and harmonise the artist field. If Banshee doesn't correctly order them (I don't possess such an
    >album to test this), you can over-rule the track ordering in the same dialog box.
    >
    >An alternative solution is the edit the tags using a devoted tag editor such as easytag, which is listed in Packman's
    >repo.


    Interesting, but i am going to get the sources to kid3, edit them to do
    some serious bulk editing and edit the tags for my entire collection.
    Piddling around with one album at a time is too time expensive for me.

    ?-)

  4. #24
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:58:06 GMT, "Carlos E. R."
    <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >On 2013-02-20 16:35, flymail wrote:
    >> On 2013-02-20, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

    >
    >> Ok now I think I understand the problem you are having. Assuming your collection is in mp3 format, you need to edit the
    >> tags for Banshee to deal with multiple artists (it doesn't seem to be as smart as Amarok). If you ctrl/shift-select all
    >> tracks belonging to a single album, and use right-click to edit track information, you can tick the check-box for
    >> flagging a compilation and harmonise the artist field. If Banshee doesn't correctly order them (I don't possess such an
    >> album to test this), you can over-rule the track ordering in the same dialog box.
    >>
    >> An alternative solution is the edit the tags using a devoted tag editor such as easytag, which is listed in Packman's
    >> repo.

    >
    >Actually, I did edit the tags of that CD tracks yesterday with easytag
    >(and then forced both amarok and banshee to do a full rescan). The entry
    >"Album artist" is the same for all the tracks. However, each track has a
    >different "Artist", obviously, and this can not be changed because it
    >would be wrong.
    >
    >This CD is just an example I'm using for working this out, it happens to
    >several other CDs.
    >
    >
    >Actually, for classical music the tagging system is wrong. We put the
    >artist for a CD of the Third symphony as "Beethoven", instead of using
    >the "Composer" tag as it would be right. The artist should show the
    >director or the orchestra playing it.
    >
    >However, when I play it on an mp3 player I want to see "third symphony
    >by Beethoven", but such gadgets do not allow users to choose the tags to
    >display. At least I have not seen it.


    There are things that i have worked out, but manually editing tags for
    more than a few albums at a time gets real tiresome. Not even
    approachable for hundreds of albums.

    ?-/

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On 2013-02-23 08:28, josephkk wrote:

    >
    > Interesting, but i am going to get the sources to kid3, edit them to do
    > some serious bulk editing and edit the tags for my entire collection.
    > Piddling around with one album at a time is too time expensive for me.


    Easytag can change the tags of all selected tracks at one go. That is,
    change one tag to the same value on all of them.

    It also changes, by default, all the tags according to a set of
    predefined rules (if you save). However, I have not been able to see
    what individual changes it does.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On 2013-02-23 08:23, josephkk wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:08:05 GMT, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:



    >
    > Not sure about the size or organization of your music. I have a moderate
    > collection of about 10,000 tracks in about 5 directories containing
    > something around 500 albums in a single directory tree. About 200 GB
    > total of flac. I never encountered a problem with getting play random
    > albums to work decently.
    >
    > Amarok 1.4 and 2.0.


    I have no problem in playing random tracks in the computer. On another
    thread I asked about how to achieve the same thing on an external
    player, a "parrot" device in my car. I found a solution by generating a
    single playlist file of the entire collection in the usb stick, on which
    the entries are sorted or randomized. For the randomizing I had to write
    my own program in Pascal (it is not trivial to randomize a text file of
    thousands of entries, I found no software to do it).


    The problem I ask about in this thread is totally different: I want to
    play Albums entirely from track #1 to the last track in each album. I
    want to click on the CD that holds the third symphony and play it
    completely in the correct internal order. Or choose a CD with several
    artists, and play it:

    Code:
    
    > /home/cer/Music/mp3/carreras  domingo  pavarotti/carreras  domingo  pavarotti  the 3 tenors sing puccini  verdi  donizzeti  bizet  wagner and more
    For example, I have one ripped CD by three different artists, stored in
    the directory named above. One CD, one directory. However, amarok saw it
    as three different entries, one per artist. If I selected the three
    entries, the tracks were grouped and played by artists, and the track
    numbers ignored.

    To get Amarok seeing it as a single album I had to create a single
    "Album artist" for all the tracks set to "Plcido Domingo - Jos
    Carreras - Lucciano Pavarotti", using "easytag". Then I had to force
    Amarok to reread the entire collection: simply updating did not work.

    Now amarok sees it as one single Album, which should had been obvious
    from the start as the album name is one.

    But not Banshee.

    If you continue reading the thread you will see the proposed solution
    for banshee, which is tedious to apply, and thus I'll be content to use
    amarok instead.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On 2013-02-23 08:08, josephkk wrote:

    > That sounds odd. I am pretty sure i can do that in either 1.4 or 2.0.
    > Which version do you use?


    Amarok 2.5.0, and banshee 2.2.1

    See a photo of how banshee groups a single CD as four entries,
    highlighed in red:

    banshee grouping

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  8. #28
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:43:05 GMT, "Carlos E. R."
    <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >On 2013-02-23 08:28, josephkk wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Interesting, but i am going to get the sources to kid3, edit them to do
    >> some serious bulk editing and edit the tags for my entire collection.
    >> Piddling around with one album at a time is too time expensive for me.

    >
    >Easytag can change the tags of all selected tracks at one go. That is,
    >change one tag to the same value on all of them.
    >
    >It also changes, by default, all the tags according to a set of
    >predefined rules (if you save). However, I have not been able to see
    >what individual changes it does.


    Even one album at a time doesn't cut it for hundreds of albums.

    ?-)

  9. #29
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:03:04 GMT, "Carlos E. R."
    <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >On 2013-02-23 08:23, josephkk wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:08:05 GMT, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >>
    >> Not sure about the size or organization of your music. I have a moderate
    >> collection of about 10,000 tracks in about 5 directories containing
    >> something around 500 albums in a single directory tree. About 200 GB
    >> total of flac. I never encountered a problem with getting play random
    >> albums to work decently.
    >>
    >> Amarok 1.4 and 2.0.

    >
    >I have no problem in playing random tracks in the computer. On another
    >thread I asked about how to achieve the same thing on an external
    >player, a "parrot" device in my car. I found a solution by generating a
    >single playlist file of the entire collection in the usb stick, on which
    >the entries are sorted or randomized. For the randomizing I had to write
    >my own program in Pascal (it is not trivial to randomize a text file of
    >thousands of entries, I found no software to do it).
    >
    >
    >The problem I ask about in this thread is totally different: I want to
    >play Albums entirely from track #1 to the last track in each album. I
    >want to click on the CD that holds the third symphony and play it
    >completely in the correct internal order. Or choose a CD with several
    >artists, and play it:
    >
    >
    Code:
    
    >> /home/cer/Music/mp3/carreras  domingo  pavarotti/carreras  domingo  pavarotti  the 3 tenors sing puccini  verdi  donizzeti  bizetwagner and more
    >
    >
    >For example, I have one ripped CD by three different artists, stored in
    >the directory named above. One CD, one directory. However, amarok saw it
    >as three different entries, one per artist. If I selected the three
    >entries, the tracks were grouped and played by artists, and the track
    >numbers ignored.
    >
    >To get Amarok seeing it as a single album I had to create a single
    >"Album artist" for all the tracks set to "Plcido Domingo - Jos
    >Carreras - Lucciano Pavarotti", using "easytag". Then I had to force
    >Amarok to reread the entire collection: simply updating did not work.
    >
    >Now amarok sees it as one single Album, which should had been obvious
    >from the start as the album name is one.
    >
    >But not Banshee.
    >
    >If you continue reading the thread you will see the proposed solution
    >for banshee, which is tedious to apply, and thus I'll be content to use
    >amarok instead.


    Sounds like it is time to modify your playlist program to write a
    different playlist for you.

    ?-)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Playing an album entirely with amarok or banshee

    On 2013-02-24 20:33, josephkk wrote:
    > Even one album at a time doesn't cut it for hundreds of albums.


    You can do hundred of albums at a time if you select them all and select
    a common tag to change on all of them (which is not normally the case).
    It is pretty slow, I tried. Another tool is eyeD3, which is CLI only and
    thus scriptable.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •