Thread: Kernel Panic on shutdown using latest AMD Catalyst 13.1/fglrx driver

Default Kernel Panic on shutdown using latest AMD Catalyst 13.1/fglrx driver

Finally got the proprietary linux AMD Graphics driver fglrx working on my Dell Vostro 3350. Running openSUSE 12.2 Tumbleweed.

Never bothered before with fglrx before because i could always just rely on vgaswitcheroo to switch off discrete AMD GPU (i have a mux-less hybrid graphics system) but ever since the linuxkernel updated to 3.7.xxx it refused to work properly.

I used the approach laid out here: SDB:AMD fglrx - openSUSE and SDB:AMD/ATI-Grafiktreiber – openSUSE - worked a charm!

Unfortunately i regularly get a kernel panic on shutdown, requiring a hard reset. The screen output i get is attached here as jpeg (sorry i don't know if this is saved in an error log somewhere, also sorry about the poor quality - took photo on my smartphone) - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9507114/ker...c%20output.jpg

# lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series] (rev ff)

The kernel panic always occurs when i have switched off the AMD card and run exclusively off the i915 - achieved by the command aticonfig --px-igpu. However if i switch on the AMD GPU card (aticonfig --px-dgpu) and restart X, then it seems i get this error as well. The only time it seems this doesn't occur is after a reboot with the AMD GPU switched on already - i.e. after rebooting from previous example (the performance mode is selected, i.e. AMD card switched on at boot time), although this is not reproducible always.

I think the problem is that the fglrx/amd_iommu_v2 module is not loaded when in powersaving mode, and the kernel can't "unload" it because it doesn't appear. Anyway that's my guess when looking at the screen output.

# aticonfig --pxl
    PowerXpress: Integrated GPU is active (Power-Saving mode).

# lsmod | grep drm
    drm_kms_helper 50840 1 i915
    drm 293115 4 i915,drm_kms_helper

# lsmod | grep i915
    i915 605629 3
    drm_kms_helper 50840 1 i915
    drm 293115 4 i915,drm_kms_helper
    i2c_algo_bit 13414 1 i915
    video 19401 1 i915

# lsmod | grep fglrx
    #

I have tried modprobing fglrx and amd_iommu_v2, but this doesn't stop the problem occuring.

Anyone else experience this problem?

BTW the answer to this is probably not a KMS problem, because i have already tried adding nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0 to the boot commands, and it didn't change a thing. In reality having two graphics cards means that the i915 driver will need KMS, while the fglrx driver wants nomodeset - i don't really get how this is dealt with.

Thanks

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Kernel Panic on shutdown using latest AMD Catalyst 13.1/fglrx driver

GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Default Re: Kernel Panic on shutdown using latest AMD Catalyst 13.1/fglrx driver

Thanks vazhavandan, yes this does appear to be the same error as mine. I hadn't noticed the pci_msi problem, but i see that this is still related to the AMD Catalyst driver.

Nonetheless there doesn't seem to be a permanent workaround here. I might try the 13.2 Beta release and see if this problem goes away.

It seems this problem exists for hybrid graphics systems on distros using systemd.