Thread: Live usb oSS 12.2 and virtualbox

Default Live usb oSS 12.2 and virtualbox

Hello forum,

I have installed oSS 12.2 on my 16 G usb drive. I installed virtualbox and wanted to install win xp as guest os. As I don't have enough space left on my usb drive so I'd like to make the .vdi file on the hard disk of a machine that I use.

I have tried but virtualbox wouldn't let me choose a location other than the usb drive itself for the .vdi file. Is there any work around to make this possible?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live usb oSS 12.2 and virtualbox

You can, but it would require the hdd to be mounted on the USB install. Which is a problem if you put it in another machine if you use fstab. Try mounting the HDD first (mind, I don't think this will work on a windu filesystem for permission reasons, but I could be wrong here), by accessing it through Dolphin. Then, in VBox create the VDI.
    Warning: starting VBOX when booting from any other machine, or with the internal hdd not mounted, will result in Vbox errors.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Live usb oSS 12.2 and virtualbox

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    You can, but it would require the hdd to be mounted on the USB install. Which is a problem if you put it in another machine if you use fstab. Try mounting the HDD first (mind, I don't think this will work on a windu filesystem for permission reasons, but I could be wrong here), by accessing it through Dolphin. Then, in VBox create the VDI.
    Warning: starting VBOX when booting from any other machine, or with the internal hdd not mounted, will result in Vbox errors.
    First of all, I'm using a Gnome version. I don't know if that makes a difference. So in fact I can mount the HDD without problem (by double click on its partition), but I still can't choose anything out of my "Computer", which is the highest level available.

BTW, there's a .vbox and a related .vdi file which belong to the PC OS. I could double click the .vbox and it was automatically added in the virtualbox list, but in the storage column, it shows "Inaccessible" in bold.