Hello,
    i try to install tomcat and run ./catalina.sh start : tomcat doesn't work
    then in run ./catalina run and i get the log :

linux-laptop:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin # ./catalina.sh run
    Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat
    Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat/temp
    Using JRE_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java/jre
    Using CLASSPATH: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
    Feb 9, 2013 11:52:20 p.m. org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
    SEVERE: Begin event threw error
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.ManagedBean
    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.13)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(libgcj.so.13)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:145)

etc...................................

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanNotificationBroadcaster not found in org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader{urls=[file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jasper-el.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-es.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-ant.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/annotations-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jsp-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/ecj-4.2.1.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-tribes.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-jdbc.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-ha.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/el-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/servlet-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-fr.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-dbcp.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-ja.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-util.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jasper.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}}

Can you help me to resolve the problem please?

Default Re: tomcat no working with opensuse 12.2

I installed myself tomcat via YAST and everything was installed correctly. The difference between my instalation and yours is that by default tomcat is installed by default in /usr/share/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh and not in your home directory. Th is way it has access to all the libraries it needs by default. I started it and I didn't get any errors according to /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by trazomtg View Post
    Hello,
    i try to install tomcat and run ./catalina.sh start : tomcat doesn't work
    then in run ./catalina run and i get the log :

linux-laptop:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin # ./catalina.sh run
    Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat
    Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat/temp
    Using JRE_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java/jre
    Using CLASSPATH: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
    Feb 9, 2013 11:52:20 p.m. org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
    SEVERE: Begin event threw error
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.ManagedBean
    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.13)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(libgcj.so.13)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:145)

etc...................................

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanNotificationBroadcaster not found in org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader{urls=[file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jasper-el.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-es.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-ant.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/annotations-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jsp-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/ecj-4.2.1.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-tribes.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-jdbc.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-ha.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/el-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/servlet-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-fr.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-dbcp.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-ja.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-util.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jasper.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}}

Can you help me to resolve the problem please?
    i downloaded apache-tomcat-7.0.27.tar.gz. Extracted. went into catalina
    and did this and i did get the admin page at http://127.0.0.01:8080/
    Code:
    mantis@linux-u7wa:~/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/bin> ./catalina.sh stop
    Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27
    Using CATALINA_HOME:   /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/temp
    Using JRE_HOME:        /usr/lib64/jvm/java/jre
    Using CLASSPATH:       /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
    Also do post output within code tags
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Thanks,
    but i delete tomcat in my directory and installed it from yast.
    i can run ./catalina.sh start---> no problem but i can't run./catalina.sh run
    when i go to page localhost :8080 i have no problem but a BLANK Page!!!!
    can you help me?
    Best regards

I will install from YaST and get back to you :-)
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

Quote Originally Posted by trazomtg View Post
    Thanks,
    but i delete tomcat in my directory and installed it from yast.
    i can run ./catalina.sh start---> no problem but i can't run./catalina.sh run
    when i go to page localhost :8080 i have no problem but a BLANK Page!!!!
    can you help me?
    Best regards
    Step1:-
    Ensure that all these packages are installed in YaST
    Code:
    • jakarta-commons-collections-tomcat5
    • jakarta-commons-dbcp-tomcat
    • jakarta-commons-pool-tomcat5
    • libtcnative-1-0
    • tomcat
    • tomcat-admin-webapps
    • tomcat-el-2_2-api
    • tomcat-jsp-2_2-api
    • tomcat-lib
    • tomcat-servlet-3_0-api
    • tomcat-webapps
    Note:- screenshots are from GNOME. The tools(YAST) may look different in KDE
    Step 2:- open YaST an locate runlevel editor
    SUSE Paste
    Step 3:- open expert mode in runlevel editor and you can start and stop tomcat from here
    If you want tomcat to automatically start with machine then set the run level at 5 or something using checkboxes
    SUSE Paste
    Step 4:- open the url( http://127.0.0.01:8080/ ) in browser and you should see the admin pages
    SUSE Paste
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

only 2 packages are not installed by default tomcat-admin-webapps and tomcat-webapps. The rest as vazhavandan said will work just fine. So now learn how to use it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dmera View Post
    only 2 packages are not installed by default tomcat-admin-webapps and tomcat-webapps. The rest as vazhavandan said will work just fine. So now learn how to use it. Good luck!
    @dmera - I see that tomcat is creating a user on my system when installing through YaST. Do this happen on your system too ?
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

vazhavandan: the user tomcat is created according to /etc/passwd file. I think is for administration purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by dmera View Post
    vazhavandan: the user tomcat is created according to /etc/passwd file. I think is for administration purposes.
    For a moment when i saw a new user my system login screen i was stunned :-)
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast