Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Only a few days ago, I installed Kiwi on my x64 12.2 system, and it installed the Xen kernel and multi-kernel was already enabled (by default?). I had previously replaced the Desktop kernel with Default.

To the OP,
    You can list all available kernels and related packages in your currently configured repos with

Code:
    # zypper se kernel
    An "i" will display for any kernels you have installed, there can be several.

Note that the Grub bootloader menu does not list all your available kernels as top level options, only at most a couple defaults. You may not realize that you have to select "Advanced" to drill down to other choices.

AFAIK today there is no such thing as choosing an nVidia CPU. Most CPUS manufactured by nVidia are ARM. Even if nVidia makes an x86 or x64 CPU, openSUSE would select regular Linux kernels. If you wish to install nVidia CUDA, that is GPU computing which would require the Default Linux kernel.

HTH,
    TSU

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    You need nVidia driver from openSUSE repositories too. If you installed it manually using nVidia installer you simply need to run installer with "kernel module only" option. See installer help.
    Thanks. I was not aware of the "kernel module only" option. It looks interesting.

In my case the nVidia driver was installed from openSUSE repositories, not manually. The nVidia kernel module is loaded when I boot with the old kernel (3.4.11-2.16-desktop) but not when I boot the updated kernel (3.7.5-1-desktop). Is it possible that, even though the nVidia driver was installed from the openSUSE rpm and not manually, I could now run the nVidia installer with the -K option under the 3.7.5-1-desktop environment and so enable the nVidia kernel module to load?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallowwood View Post
    The nVidia kernel module is loaded when I boot with the old kernel (3.4.11-2.16-desktop) but not when I boot the updated kernel (3.7.5-1-desktop).
    That's correct. 3.7.5 is not update for openSUSE 12.2. 3.4.11 was the last update kernel available.

That's correct. 3.7.5 is not update for openSUSE 12.2. 3.4.11 was the last update kernel available.
    Does this mean I can't upgrade my kernel to 3.7.5 with openSUSE 12.2? Will it not work?

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Does this mean I can't upgrade my kernel to 3.7.5 with openSUSE 12.2? Will it not work?
    You misunderstand.

Modules for different kernel versions are not compatible. You cannot in general build module for 3.4 and expect it to work (or even load) under 3.7. openSUSE normally does not change kernel versions during release lifetime. It means, if openSUSE 12.2 was released with kernel 3.4, it will stay on 3.4 updates. So kernel modules built for openSUSE 12.2 should stay compatible with future kernel updates for 12.2.

Of course you can install kernel from any third party repository or compile it yourself. But then it is your responsiblity to fix any compatibility problems that it may bring.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    But you can compile your own kernel using SAKC and install the latest nVIDIA driver with LNVHW, find the latest driver here: installing-nvidia-video-driver-hard-way and they work together just fine in openSUSE 12.2. Indeed it would be hard to complain about kernel 3.7 or nVIDIA driver 310.32 to openSUSE, but there are other avenues for complaints. None the less, it you want the latest stuff, you are mostly on your own.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

So, Tallowood I'm curious

So far you've said you're using only "openSUSE" repos, where did you get kernel 3.7.5, did you get from Tumbleweed, build your own or somewhere else?

What is this "openSUSE" nVidia repo? AFAIK openSUSE does not itself manage an nVidia repo although may offer a Community nVidia repo.

If the nVidia driver you're using was installed using the Community nVidia repo, I would assume that normally <all> packages in that repo should automatically detect and install the correct graphics kernel module for the detected Linux kernel. This should be done simply as I described in my post with a "zypper up"

TSU

I have one 'problem' and I'm not sure how to proceed.
    Using kernel 3.7.4.x for quite some time, today while doing 'zypper up' kernel update appeared :
    Code:
    The following NEW package is going to be installed:                                                                                                      
      kernel-desktop  3.4.28-2.20.1  i686  openSUSE-12.2-Update  openSUSE                                                                                    

1 new package to install.
    Overall download size: 37.5 MiB. After the operation, additional 111.7 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y):
    When I installed 3.7.x kernel I used this repo , previously I enabled multiple kernel version following this guide

That all went fine and I could go back to previous kernel in advanced boot options, latest kernel is default boot option.

Anyways, this update from openSUSE came today and like I said, I'm not sure what to do now.
    Have no idea what will happen if I install this update, also if I go to latest stable kernel repo and switch packages (so that I don't receive old kernels from openSUSE when I'm doing updates) I get a warning that I would have to resolve conflicts by uninstalling 3.4.x kernel, again I don't know what would happen in that case either.

Basically I'm happy with 3.7.x kernel and the question really is ... how can I disable old kernel offers in updates and what's the best option for me with described scenario from above to solve this ?

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    So, Tallowood I'm curious

So far you've said you're using only "openSUSE" repos, where did you get kernel 3.7.5, did you get from Tumbleweed, build your own or somewhere else?

What is this "openSUSE" nVidia repo? AFAIK openSUSE does not itself manage an nVidia repo although may offer a Community nVidia repo.

If the nVidia driver you're using was installed using the Community nVidia repo, I would assume that normally <all> packages in that repo should automatically detect and install the correct graphics kernel module for the detected Linux kernel. This should be done simply as I described in my post with a "zypper up"

TSU
    Thanks for responding.

I installed the 3.7.5 (now 3.7.6) kernel because large file transfer under 3.4 kernel caused all other GUI activity to stall or crawl. The 3.7.5 kernel seemed to fix this. I obtained the 3.7.5 kernal from this repo. I obtained the nVidia driver from the Community nVidia repo. Both installed with YaST.

Despite kind advice here, I have been unable to resolve the nVidia driver multiversion issues. Unfortunatly I did not see your advice to use "zypper up" and attemted manual instalation (hard way) against the 3.7.5 kernel but of course that failed with errors. Following that blunder I was unable to boot to graphical log-in screen (screen 0 not found). Booted runlev3, removed new kernel files and restored 3.4 versions with YaST, edited zypp.conf to exclude multiversion and finally (after previous changes failed enable GUI boot) I edited etc/sysconfig/displaymanager to remove reference to nVidia and restore Xorg. Booted old 3.4 kernel with nouveau driver and now have the system working again.

I am not sure what I need to do to restore nVidia driver after messing up key system files, but I can work without it. I cannot work without access to GUI, internet, email and file system. I have learned quite a bit but not enough to confidently use multiversion settings with nVidia driver.

The advice about multiversion in the manual is very clear but it is not a 'how to' guide - some technical skill is required. I have been using SuSE Linux and openSUSE as my main OS for over ten years but I still lack real technical skill, so I am very grateful for support from this forum.

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already workingone if needed)?

On 2013-02-10 00:26, gzenum wrote:
    >
    > I have one 'problem' and I'm not sure how to proceed.
    > Using kernel 3.7.4.x for quite some time, today while doing 'zypper up'
    > kernel update appeared :

This is normal.

It is an update coming from the update repo, a patch as it is called,
    and these often ignore vendor changes. It is an update for the standard
    or default kernel package that comes with the distribution. You are not
    using that one.

You can ignore it. You can taboo it, so that it doesn't appear again.

You may also install it (assuming you are configured for multiple
    kernels), but then you will have to modify the boot configuration
    manually because default boot kernel will switch to the one just
    installed (I think).

> Basically I'm happy with 3.7.x kernel and the question really is ...
    > how can I disable old kernel offers in updates and what's the best
    > option for me with described scenario from above to solve this ?

Taboo the patch.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast