Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
Ah, so this is not for anyone less knowledgeable than that.

I assume though, I can install a new kernel and roll back if there are issues, correct?
I am not sure where all of this is headed exactly. We have one known kernel developer here that is a regular, but the rest of us just learn as we go. The kernel is the Linux operating system and it is Linux while most everything else is added by our distribution, in this case, openSUSE. For the most part hardware drivers are built into the kernel and come in the form of modules that can be loaded (built into the kernel no matter what), excluded (not present at load time) and modules allowed to load only if the hardware is found at boot time. Since something might get plugged in later, think USB 3 or a Thumb drive, you may just want to include support there all of the time no matter if the hardware was found or not. The last function (of installing an unused driver) can make the kernel bigger and perhaps slower so there is an art to deciding what stays in and what is left out for the kernel that becomes part of a distribution, like openSUSE. This "configuration" comes in the form of a reusable kernel config file located on your PC and can be used as the basis of any kernel compile you make on your own. Each release of openSUSE comes with a certain kernel version, the most recent stable kernel version at the point the latest openSUSE distribution feature list gets frozen and so 3.7 is the basis for openSUSE 12.3. As time goes forward, released kernels get updates for security and to fix bugs. The new released kernels show up into the openSUSE update repository. You have the option to configure YaST to maintain more than one kernel version, within the same major release, just in case a new kernel does not agree with your system. Not keeping a spare kernel before its too late has bit more than one person here in the openSUSE forum. You can also decide to add kernel repositories into YaST, (like this Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard) to get the very latest one installed if you wish. And I have SAKC, a bash script to install any version of the kernel posted at The Linux Kernel Archives. SAKC can be used to modify the configuration, either manually or in a GUI if you wish. As to hardware drivers, one final word about binary drivers, that must be externally compiled and installed into the kernel. This is true for the proprietary nVIDIA and AMD video drivers and true for the VirtualBox VM drivers. These companies provide free drivers to Linux users, but chose to not supply (all) of their source code so that support could be built directly into the kernel and thus on every kernel update, major or minor, their proprietary driver must be recompiled and installed into the new kernel to work.

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...rsion-2-50-34/

Thank You,