Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Default How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

I want to try upgrading my kernel (currently on Linux 3.4.11-2.16-desktop x86_64) to a newer version and am not sure what the best way to do this is so I can default back to my currently working kernel if there's an issue and if not, eventually remove the current kernel and default to the newer one.

* Where would I get it from?

* What's the latest stable kernel?

* how do i install multiple kernels and choose the default one?

I'm on openSUSE 12.2, so I also want to choose a kernel that will work well with that.

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already workingone if needed)?

On 2013-02-05 23:26, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > * how do i install multiple kernels and choose the default one?

Code:
    /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

multiversion.kernels = latest-1,latest,running

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Thanks to OP for this question. May I also express interest in technical help from forum members with this issue.

After searching the forum I found relevant issues discussed in passing in a number of threads (eg. here) but usually at a level of technical difficulty beyond my "general user" skill level.

My attempt to install multiversion kernels ultimatly failed. I was able to install an updated kernel using the multiversion feature but I was not able to work out how to install multiversion NVIDIA graphics modules for both active kernels.

I learned that the multiversion feature for OpenSUSE 12.2 is not turned on by default. Instructions to enable multiversion in openSUSE 12.2 are available here. However the guide does not seem to explain or give eamples of the settings needed to enable mutiversion for associated graphics or other modules.

I installed an updated kernel for openSUSE 12.2 (multiversion) from the repository Kernel:/stable/standard here.

Trust this is useful.

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already workingone if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-02-05 23:26, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > * how do i install multiple kernels and choose the default one?

Code:
    /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

multiversion.kernels = latest-1,latest,running

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    Thanks. Will that both install the latest and mark the current one as default? Or does it just tell it which to enable?

On 2013-02-06 01:36, 6tr6tr wrote:

> Thanks. Will that both install the latest and mark the current one as
    > default? Or does it just tell it which to enable?

No, it just tells zypper not to delete automatically the previous
    version, and allows you to tag several versions in YaST.

What to install is up to you. The rpm postinstall scripts should handle
    the appropriate entries in grub automatically. I assume the work with
    grub2 now.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already workingone if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Thanks. Will that both install the latest and mark the current one as default? Or does it just tell it which to enable?
    If you want to try the latest (or any released version) kernel and do not want to change your old kernel in anyway, look to SAKC, my bash script compiler, part of a trio of kernel dealing bash script applications. It works right every time and they are always free!

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...rsion-2-50-34/

S.A.K.R. - SUSE Automated Kernel Remover - Version 1.0.4: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...ion-1-0-0-111/

And you can get all of the current kernel stuff here: The Linux Kernel Archives, but if you want something not posted, have a look here:

S.G.T.B. - SuSE Git Kernel Tarball Creator - Version 1.86: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...rsion-1-31-53/

None of this will touch your kernels installed by YaST. Now Grub 2 always places the newest kernel version it finds as the top dog on your main menu, but SAKR can remove it if you no longer want to use it. In SGTB, use the Linux Stable Git selection to find any stable or release candidate kernel version clear back to the release year of 2005 if you want. Indeed you can get kernels for any purpose that you can imagine and drop back (or go forward) to any release when a problem is found on the present version you are using. Since SAKC installs the new Kernel outside of YaST, you can use SAKR to get rid of any kernel, not running at the time, you have installed using SAKC. Time is a wasting, download your copy today!

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallowwood View Post
    I was not able to work out how to install multiversion NVIDIA graphics modules for both active kernels.
    if you install them using openSUSE repositories, nVidia kernel module should be compatible with future kernel updates for the same openSUSE version. There should be no need to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    if you install them using openSUSE repositories, nVidia kernel module should be compatible with future kernel updates for the same openSUSE version. There should be no need to do anything.
    Thanks. I installed updated kernel files from openSUSE repositories but found nVidia kernel module was not loaded.

It is helpful to know that "there should be no need to do anything". I will try to investigate this a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallowwood View Post
    Thanks. I installed updated kernel files from openSUSE repositories but found nVidia kernel module was not loaded.
    You need nVidia driver from openSUSE repositories too. If you installed it manually using nVidia installer you simply need to run installer with "kernel module only" option. See installer help.

On 2013-02-06 01:26, Tallowwood wrote:
    > However the guide does
    > not seem to explain or give eamples of the settings needed to enable
    > mutiversion for associated graphics or other modules.

Because that is not widely known. I don't know how, and I have an nvidia
    card.

The feature is intended for rpms that come prepared for that, like the
    kernel.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast