Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already workingone if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-02-10 00:26, gzenum wrote:
    >
    > I have one 'problem' and I'm not sure how to proceed.
    > Using kernel 3.7.4.x for quite some time, today while doing 'zypper up'
    > kernel update appeared :

This is normal.

It is an update coming from the update repo, a patch as it is called,
    and these often ignore vendor changes. It is an update for the standard
    or default kernel package that comes with the distribution. You are not
    using that one.

You can ignore it. You can taboo it, so that it doesn't appear again.

You may also install it (assuming you are configured for multiple
    kernels), but then you will have to modify the boot configuration
    manually because default boot kernel will switch to the one just
    installed (I think).

> Basically I'm happy with 3.7.x kernel and the question really is ...
    > how can I disable old kernel offers in updates and what's the best
    > option for me with described scenario from above to solve this ?

Taboo the patch.
    That's it, I protected kernel-desktop in Yast and it worked, doesn't appear anymore
    Thank you very much sir.

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallowwood View Post
    I installed the 3.7.5 (now 3.7.6) kernel because large file transfer under 3.4 kernel caused all other GUI activity to stall or crawl. The 3.7.5 kernel seemed to fix this. I obtained the 3.7.5 kernal from this repo. I obtained the nVidia driver from the Community nVidia repo.
    Interesting discussion in Tumbleweed and Pre-release Beta sections (particularly post #4 of this thread) suggest that the issues I experienced may relate to nVidia driver package rather than my inexperience with multiversion.

Trust this is useful.

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already working one if needed)?

One more question :

When I upgraded kernel from org 3.4.x to 3.7.x I wasn't using ATI Catalyst drivers, so I installed those drivers after kernel upgrade, that all went fine.

Now with kernel 3.7.x and installed ATI catalyst drivers, what would be the proper way to upgrade the kernel and use ATI catalyst drivers ?

1) Install new kernel , reboot, install ATI drivers, reboot.
    2) Install new kernel, install ATI drivers, reboot.
    3) Something else.

2 should work. 1 also of course but don't need 2 reboots

Yeah, 2 was logical to me but had to ask before I try it out.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    You misunderstand.

Modules for different kernel versions are not compatible. You cannot in general build module for 3.4 and expect it to work (or even load) under 3.7. openSUSE normally does not change kernel versions during release lifetime. It means, if openSUSE 12.2 was released with kernel 3.4, it will stay on 3.4 updates. So kernel modules built for openSUSE 12.2 should stay compatible with future kernel updates for 12.2.

Of course you can install kernel from any third party repository or compile it yourself. But then it is your responsibility to fix any compatibility problems that it may bring.
    So what are the kernel modules? How do I know what might/might-not be compatible and how do I fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    But you can compile your own kernel using SAKC and install the latest nVIDIA driver with LNVHW, find the latest driver here: installing-nvidia-video-driver-hard-way and they work together just fine in openSUSE 12.2. Indeed it would be hard to complain about kernel 3.7 or nVIDIA driver 310.32 to openSUSE, but there are other avenues for complaints. None the less, it you want the latest stuff, you are mostly on your own.

Thank You,
    Well, my laptop doesn't have nVIDIA. I believe it's just an Intel-integrated GPU.

But if I wanted to try out a more recent kernel what steps would I need to take to make sure all the modules work with it or are updated to work with it?

Default Re: How safely upgrade kernel (so can default to already workingone if needed)?

On 2013-02-13 02:56, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > How do I know what might/might-not be
    > compatible and how do I fix that?

Become a kernel dev...

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-02-13 02:56, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > How do I know what might/might-not be
    > compatible and how do I fix that?

Become a kernel dev...

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    Ah, so this is not for anyone less knowledgeable than that.

I assume though, I can install a new kernel and roll back if there are issues, correct?

On 2013-02-14 01:56, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > I assume though, I can install a new kernel and roll back if there are
    > issues, correct?

Yes, that's what we can do.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast