LibreOffice writer - Embedded jpegs trashed

I am running LibreOffice 3.5:build-413 on my 12.2./KDE 4.9.5 64 bit desktop.
It is loaded from the openSUSE 12.2 Update repo, ver 3.5.4.13-1.4.5-x86_64.

I just encountered an issue opening a text file saved as a docx (need to share it with Windows users).
On opening, All the embedded jpegs show as “Read-Error”.

This file was OK until recently, but I cannot relate it to a specific update, I just happened to notice it.

I luckily had a somewhat recent backup that still opens correctly.

Googling about, I followed a suggestion to open the files with ARK.
From there, I can see that in fact the embedded jpegs have been trashed, they are now 8B in size, in my recent file but 300K or so in the old(good) file.

Is this a common, known issue?
I saw some references in my search that this was related to an issue with auto-save, but they seemed sort of old.

Wow, this is ugly if it is a new bug.

Try upgrading to 3.6.3 from community repos
I heard there is a problem with OLE objects with older LibreOffice versions

Thanks - adding ‘OLE’ to my search I found THIS recent thread which I somehow missed first time around.
I may risk upgrading to LO 3.6.3, although the thread indicates issues with 3.6 as well, perhaps versions earlier than 3.6.3.

For those who stumble upon this thread and have similar problems:
If you open the document with ARK, in my case there is a sub-directory in the archive “media” under which the jpegs are stored.
From looking at the file sizes in my particular case, the jpegs had clearly been trashed. They were jpegs. YRMV.
ARK_display
If you use LO to create and edit documents with embedded images, DO SOMETHING !
Version 3.5.x may destroy your documents!
Use ark to look at the structure of your documents before you back them up.
I have a feeling that the error occurred when exiting or perhaps auto-saving(I have seen that in discussion threads).
Your current copy may already be damaged.
It appears upgrading to LO 3.6.3 may be the fix, based on comments from others.

@op - The user confirms that upgrading fixes the issue
backup your files before trying :slight_smile:
https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/482304-libreoffice-writer-ole-problem-2.html#post2522661