Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    77

    Default usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Hi !

    I have acquired an Archos USB dongle for an Internet tablet it is supposed to work on different OSes (Windows, linux etc...) .
    From time to time I would like to use this dongle on my Desktop PC with opensuse 12.2 , so I just plug it in my Desktop but nothing happens in Networkmanager. The dongle is not broken , it works perfectly under Android.

    So what is missing ?


    Code:
    output in /var/log/messages
    
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux kernel: [  842.406814] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci_hcd
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux kernel: [  842.524595] usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=1bbb, idProduct=f000
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux kernel: [  842.524602] usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=4
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux kernel: [  842.524606] usb 1-3: Product: HSPA Data Card
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux kernel: [  842.524609] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: USBModem
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux kernel: [  842.524612] usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 1234567890ABCDEF
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux kernel: [  842.526971] scsi9 : usb-storage 1-3:1.0
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 8: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-3"
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 8 was not an MTP device
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux dbus-daemon[659]: **** scsi_host ADDING /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/host9/scsi_host/host9
    Jan 29 14:47:37 machinux dbus-daemon[659]: **** scsi_host IGNORING ADD /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/host9/scsi_host/host9
    Jan 29 14:47:38 machinux usb_modeswitch: switching device 1bbb:f000 on 001/008
    Jan 29 14:47:38 machinux dbus-daemon[659]: **** scsi_host IGNORING REMOVE /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/host9/scsi_host/host9
    Jan 29 14:47:38 machinux kernel: [  843.297276] usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 8
    Jan 29 14:47:39 machinux kernel: [  843.606912] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci_hcd
    Jan 29 14:47:39 machinux kernel: [  843.723808] usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=1bbb, idProduct=00b7
    Jan 29 14:47:39 machinux kernel: [  843.723815] usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    Jan 29 14:47:39 machinux kernel: [  843.723820] usb 1-3: Product: HSPA Data Card
    Jan 29 14:47:39 machinux kernel: [  843.723823] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: USBModem
    Jan 29 14:47:39 machinux mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 9: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-3"
    Jan 29 14:47:39 machinux mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 9 was not an MTP device


    no Modems appear in /dev/tty*

    Any help is welcome!
    CPU X86-64 AMD FX 4170 Quad-Core | MB Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3| 8GB RAM
    NIC Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCIE| GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT| K 3.4.11-2.16-desktop


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    From this thread (discussing similar model), perhaps 'usb_modeswitch' is required to activate the modem interface. Check that you have it installed with
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep usb_modeswitch
    and install if necessary
    Code:
    zypper in usb_modeswitch
    Then plug in your 3G device and examine the dmesg output again.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 29-Jan-2013 at 13:17.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    After a quick look at my /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules, (openSUSE 12.2,usb_modeswitch-1.2.3-2.5.1), I don't see any matching udev rules for your chipset.

    A little more searching online turned up this post:

    xda-developers - View Single Post - Archos G9 3G Stick usb dongle

    which gives some hope for support using the usbserial module, and no mode switching required.

    With the device plugged in, do this (with root privileges):

    Code:
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1bbb product=0x00b7

    If /dev/ttyUSB* is created, then you can proceed with configuring via the network manager, and to get the device supported on a more permanent basis, you can create a udev rule as described in that post.

    (BTW, for regular user access to the /dev/ttyUSB[0,1,2...] device nodes, you need to need to be a member of the 'dialout' group.)

    Let us know how you get on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    From this thread (discussing similar model), perhaps 'usb_modeswitch' is required to activate the modem interface. Check that you have it installed with
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep usb_modeswitch
    and install if necessary
    Code:
    zypper in usb_modeswitch
    Then plug in your 3G device and examine the dmesg output again.

    hi

    usb_modeswitch is installed
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep usb_modeswitch
    usb_modeswitch-1.2.3-2.5.1.x86_64
    usb_modeswitch-data-1.2.3-2.5.1.noarch
    CPU X86-64 AMD FX 4170 Quad-Core | MB Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3| 8GB RAM
    NIC Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCIE| GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT| K 3.4.11-2.16-desktop


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    After a quick look at my /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules, (openSUSE 12.2,usb_modeswitch-1.2.3-2.5.1), I don't see any matching udev rules for your chipset.

    A little more searching online turned up this post:

    xda-developers - View Single Post - Archos G9 3G Stick usb dongle

    which gives some hope for support using the usbserial module, and no mode switching required.

    With the device plugged in, do this (with root privileges):

    Code:
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1bbb product=0x00b7

    If /dev/ttyUSB* is created, then you can proceed with configuring via the network manager, and to get the device supported on a more permanent basis, you can create a udev rule as described in that post.

    (BTW, for regular user access to the /dev/ttyUSB[0,1,2...] device nodes, you need to need to be a member of the 'dialout' group.)

    Let us know how you get on.
    Hi

    after giving the command modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1bbb product=0x00b7 , nothing happens

    there are no ttyUSB decices created , I have one ttyUSB0 running a fixed GPS receiver should I unplug it first ?

    thanks
    CPU X86-64 AMD FX 4170 Quad-Core | MB Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3| 8GB RAM
    NIC Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCIE| GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT| K 3.4.11-2.16-desktop


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by metehyi View Post
    Hi

    after giving the command modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1bbb product=0x00b7 , nothing happens

    there are no ttyUSB decices created , I have one ttyUSB0 running a fixed GPS receiver should I unplug it first ?

    thanks
    No, there should be no need to remove any other devices. I'm not sure what else to suggest. Might be a good idea to make sure that it's not still in the wrong mode.

    For storage devices, it is usual to see /dev/sr* device nodes present (ignore any associated with cdrom/dvd hardware)

    Code:
    ls -l /dev/sr*
    and confirm that no ttyUSB* nodes exist (other than your GPS)

    Code:
    ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*
    Some other potentially useful threads:

    Enabling UMTS on Archos G9 in Plasma Active | ruedigergad

    [SOLVED] Can access but not dial from my TCT Mobile One Touch X200S 3G USM Modem [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums

    The latter concerns a different model 3G device, but good diagnostic info.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Hi


    I was aware of the link you gave for ruedigergad (he describes the setup for plasma desktop which does not come with modeswitch installed I think), the other link is also interesting but very technical for me.

    After a lot of hacking and trials until late tonight I have been able to get this dongle work in opensuse 12.2,
    even with networkmanager I could connect and surf with UMTS and disconnect to reconnect to the UMTS and surf very easy the Internet.
    I also did not need to cancel PIN on the SIM Card since networkmanager asked for this, everything worked fine for a test period of about half an hour late in the night as I said above.
    But things got worse after unplugging the dongle.
    The big problem now is I don't know/remember exactly the steps to reproduce the correct setup for this dongle since I have tried a lot of the suggested stuff in the links you posted.

    After your suggestion to check for DVD/CD I typed
    Code:
    eject /dev/sr0
    and suddenly the networkmanager asked for the PIN and I could connect to the internet.

    As you suggest there is a modeswitch problem. Here is what I have tried now.
    I have deinstalled usb_modeswitch and rebooted the machine . When I plug in the Archos dongle I get those messages in syslog:
    Code:
    #lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Card Reader/Writer
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1bbb:f000 T & A Mobile Phones 
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0603:00f2 Novatek Microelectronics Corp. 
    Bus 007 Device 002: ID 03eb:0902 Atmel Corp. 4-Port Hub
    then I reinstalled usb_modeswitch from the opensuse repo and changed the file
    Code:
    /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
    verbosity to yes
    Code:
    EnableLogging=1
    and got this in my syslog :
    Code:
    USB_ModeSwitch log from Wed Jan 30 03:25:54 CET 2013
    
    Raw args from udev: /2-5:1.0
    
    Using global config file: /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
    Using top device dir /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-5
    ----------------
    USB values from sysfs:
      manufacturer    USBModem
      product    HSPA Data Card
      serial    1234567890ABCDEF
    ----------------
    bNumConfigurations is 1 - don't check for active configuration
    SCSI attributes not needed, moving on
    checking config: /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/1bbb:f000
    ! matched. Reading config data
    config: TargetVendor set to 1bbb
    config: TargetProductList set to 0000,0017
    Driver module is "option", ID path is /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1
    
    Command to be run:
    usb_modeswitch -I -W -D -s 20 -u -1 -b 2 -g 14 -v 1bbb -p f000 -f $configBuffer
    
    Verbose debug output of usb_modeswitch and libusb follows
    (Note that some USB errors are to be expected in the process)
    --------------------------------
    
    Reading long config from command line
    
     * usb_modeswitch: handle USB devices with multiple modes
     * Version 1.2.3 (C) Josua Dietze 2012
     * Based on libusb0 (0.1.12 and above)
    
     ! PLEASE REPORT NEW CONFIGURATIONS !
    
    DefaultVendor=  0x1bbb
    DefaultProduct= 0xf000
    TargetVendor=   0x1bbb
    TargetProduct=  not set
    TargetClass=    not set
    TargetProductList="0000,0017"
    
    DetachStorageOnly=0
    HuaweiMode=0
    SierraMode=0
    SonyMode=0
    QisdaMode=0
    GCTMode=0
    KobilMode=0
    SequansMode=0
    MobileActionMode=0
    CiscoMode=0
    MessageEndpoint=  not set
    MessageContent="55534243123456788000000080000606f50402527000000000000000000000"
    NeedResponse=0
    ResponseEndpoint= not set
    
    InquireDevice disabled
    Success check enabled, max. wait time 20 seconds
    System integration mode enabled
    
    
    Use given bus/device number: 002/014 ...
    Looking for default devices ...
     bus/device number matched
      searching devices, found USB ID 1bbb:f000
       found matching vendor ID
       found matching product ID
       adding device
     Found device in default mode, class or configuration (1)
    Skipping the check for the current configuration
    Using first interface: 0x00
    Using endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)
    
    USB description data (for identification)
    -------------------------
    Manufacturer: USBModem
         Product: HSPA Data Card
      Serial No.: 1234567890ABCDEF
    -------------------------
    Looking for active driver ...
     OK, driver found; name unknown, limitation of libusb1
     OK, driver "unkown" detached
    Setting up communication with interface 0
    Using endpoint 0x01 for message sending ...
    Trying to send message 1 to endpoint 0x01 ...
     OK, message successfully sent
    Resetting response endpoint 0x81
    Resetting message endpoint 0x01
     Device is gone, skipping any further commands
    Bus/dev search active, referring success check to wrapper. Bye.
    
    ok:busdev
    --------------------------------
    (end of usb_modeswitch output)
    
    Checking success of mode switch for max. 20 seconds ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
     Reading attributes ...
    
    Target config not matching - current values are
        2-5:1.0/bInterfaceClass:   ff
        bConfigurationValue:       1
        bNumConfigurations:        1
        busnum:                    2
        devnum:                    15
        idProduct:                 00b7
        idVendor:                  1bbb
        manufacturer:              USBModem
        product:                   HSPA Data Card
        serial:                    
    
    Mode switching may have failed. Exiting
    any idea how I can bring it back to work ? a need a step by step help because I am not familiar with this modeswitching tool.

    Thanks,
    CPU X86-64 AMD FX 4170 Quad-Core | MB Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3| 8GB RAM
    NIC Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCIE| GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT| K 3.4.11-2.16-desktop


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by metehyi View Post
    Hi


    I was aware of the link you gave for ruedigergad (he describes the setup for plasma desktop which does not come with modeswitch installed I think), the other link is also interesting but very technical for me.

    After a lot of hacking and trials until late tonight I have been able to get this dongle work in opensuse 12.2,
    even with networkmanager I could connect and surf with UMTS and disconnect to reconnect to the UMTS and surf very easy the Internet.
    I also did not need to cancel PIN on the SIM Card since networkmanager asked for this, everything worked fine for a test period of about half an hour late in the night as I said above.
    But things got worse after unplugging the dongle.
    The big problem now is I don't know/remember exactly the steps to reproduce the correct setup for this dongle since I have tried a lot of the suggested stuff in the links you posted.

    After your suggestion to check for DVD/CD I typed
    Code:
    eject /dev/sr0
    and suddenly the networkmanager asked for the PIN and I could connect to the internet.
    Since you successfully managed to expose the modem interface by manually ejecting the storage device, you could try creating a rule (eg /etc/udev/rules.d/10-modem.rules) that automates this process
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f000", RUN+="/usr/bin/eject %k", OPTIONS="last_rule"
    Does that help?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Since you successfully managed to expose the modem interface by manually ejecting the storage device, you could try creating a rule (eg /etc/udev/rules.d/10-modem.rules) that automates this process
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f000", RUN+="/usr/bin/eject %k", OPTIONS="last_rule"
    Does that help?


    Well as I told you I am not even sure that this eject command unblocked the situation or may a
    Code:
    modprobe -r usbstorage
    , because today I tried again with no success.

    What I noticed is that I had unplugged the GPS because it had created a ttyUSB0 device.
    As the modem was activated and used by Networkmanager there were ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1,ttyUSB2,ttyUSB3,ttyUSB4 devices created One of them was ttyUSB4 was shown in networkmanager.

    where does the value TargetidProduct=0x00b7 come from during the modeswitch ?

    I have changed the file
    Code:
    /etc/usb_modeswitch like this :
    
    # Disable automatic mode switching globally (e.g. to access the original
    # install storage)
    
    DisableSwitching=1
    
    
    # Enable logging (results in a extensive report file in /var/log, named
    # "usb_modeswitch_<interface-name>" and probably others
    
    EnableLogging=1
    and want to retry with step by step from there !

    so gave the command
    Code:
    usb_modeswitch -s 3 -v 0x1bbb -p 0xf000 -V 0x1bbb -P 0x00b7 -M 5553424308a05984c000000080000606f50402527000000000000000000000
    as in Enabling UMTS on Archos G9 in Plasma Active | ruedigergad
    doing lsusb after that

    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1bbb:00b7 T & A Mobile Phones
    then
    Code:
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1bbb product=0x00b7
    as explained by ruedigergad, but no ttyUSB devices are created , and now I am stuck there !

    thanks for your help
    CPU X86-64 AMD FX 4170 Quad-Core | MB Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3| 8GB RAM
    NIC Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCIE| GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT| K 3.4.11-2.16-desktop


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: usb 3G dongle not working in opensuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by metehyi View Post
    Well as I told you I am not even sure that this eject command unblocked the situation or may a
    Code:
    modprobe -r usbstorage
    , because today I tried again with no success.

    What I noticed is that I had unplugged the GPS because it had created a ttyUSB0 device.
    As the modem was activated and used by Networkmanager there were ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1,ttyUSB2,ttyUSB3,ttyUSB4 devices created One of them was ttyUSB4 was shown in networkmanager.

    where does the value TargetidProduct=0x00b7 come from during the modeswitch ?
    The message string that is sent effectively sets the new state. The 'TargetidProduct=' entry in relevant config file (located in the /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/ directory) is only used for checking against. You can read the 'usb_modeswitch' man pages for more info on this. I'm not sure that 0x00b7 is the correct state. Some of the sources mention 0x0000 (as the modeswitch file itself suggests). When you had the modem active, it would have been good to observe the lsusb output (to see whether a different product ID was reported).

    Maybe the state changing takes a little time, so the delay between steps may be important here. This is going to be a process of trial and error I'm afraid. The dmesg output is useful for providing clues about what the kernel has detected, and what the next step might be. Try plugging the device again, and try to retrace your steps. For example, invoke
    Code:
    modprobe -r usb-storage
    then check
    Code:
    lsusb
    Code:
    dmesg|tail
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 30-Jan-2013 at 14:29.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •