Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot win7 and openSUSE 12.2 on separate hard drives

Default Dual boot win7 and openSUSE 12.2 on separate hard drives

I have a single hard drive with win7 and openSUSE 12.2 booting of the MBR - basically I followed the excellent directions from http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/suse...ualboot/1.html

Now I installed a second hard drive and the idea is to run openSUSE from it. Preferably I would like to add it to the MBR, move my /home directory from the old drive over to the new one and finally remove the drive from the MBR as well. Is this a sensible strategy and if so what is the best way to carry it out?

Thanks!

Default Re: Dual boot win7 and openSUSE 12.2 on separate hard drives

What bootloader do you use currently?

I use the windows boot manager

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
    default {3a54c8c8-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    resumeobject {3a54c8c7-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    displayorder {3a54c8c8-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    {3a54c8cc-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
    timeout 15
    displaybootmenu Yes

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {3a54c8c8-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Windows 7
    locale en-US
    inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
    recoverysequence {3a54c8c9-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    recoveryenabled Yes
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    resumeobject {3a54c8c7-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    nx OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier {3a54c8cc-660f-11e0-a177-abe4f4e98489}
    device partition=C:
    path \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
    description openSUSE 12.2

I do not know anything about the windows boot loader so I can not help with that but I have done this before and it was pretty straight forward for me.

I installed with DVD to the new drive creating the exact same user and then boot with the old openSUSE and copy the /home/xxxxx from the old install (now booted) into the new one overwriting any files.

I have also done this in the reverse order without problems, make the default partitions (/, /home, swap) ahead of time on the new drive and copy over the /home partition from the current install. Then install from DVD and make sure you do not format the /home and specify the same user as was on the old system.

Couple things to watch out for, the install DVD puts the grub2 bootloader on the MBR of the first drive and will wipe out the MS bootloader, so you need to change that if you do not want this to happen or take the appropriate measures for your bios/hardware. I would actually just use grub2 to boot windows and openSUSE it has worked for me here.

After you have things working good just wipe out the partitions on the original drive and re-format.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

Blog Entries

I'd perform a clean install, get rid of the windows bootloader and have GRUB2 manage booting. Then, from the console, copy the content of the old homedir(s) to the new /home, run
    Code:
    chown USERNAME /home/USERNAME -R
    to make sure UUID's are OK.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Dual boot win7 and openSUSE 12.2 on separate hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by plesset View Post
    I have a single hard drive with win7 and openSUSE 12.2 booting of the MBR - basically I followed the excellent directions from http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/suse...ualboot/1.html

Now I installed a second hard drive and the idea is to run openSUSE from it. Preferably I would like to add it to the MBR, move my /home directory from the old drive over to the new one and finally remove the drive from the MBR as well. Is this a sensible strategy and if so what is the best way to carry it out?

Thanks!
    First, you can install ALL of openSUSE to any External Hard Drive and get it to boot from that drive if you can select the USB hard drive as your boot device in your PC BIOS setup. Please note that we are not talking about using GPT formatted disks or using the ability of a UEFI based PC for hard disks larger than 2.2 TB in size. I have a write up on my suggestions for partitioning a hard drive for use with openSUSE:

https://forums.opensuse.org/content/...g-install.html

As for backing up your /home, for a complete byte for byte backup, you can use the dd command. But, the Source and Target partitions must be identical in size and type for a successful clone. Doing a by file copy is safer, but may miss some of your import settings. Consider if you do a complete install to an external hard drive, you can mount your old /home and copy anything from it you like. I would get my external hard drive working with openSUSE before I did another thing. I would suggest you download, make and test a LiveCD with KDE or GNOME as well, just in case you need it.

Lastly, if you have a Windows 8 boot disk, you can boot from that disk, go to the rescue console and type in the following command to fix the MBR:

Code:
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    Be aware that not only does the MBR need to be reloaded with boot code, but the Windows 7 system boot partition must be marked active for boot. A GParted Boot disk can provide some added abilities to help make a Windows 7 disk bootable again. Windows 7 and Windows 8 both like to create small boot partitions of less than 500 MB in size, which then loads Windows from the larger Partition that gets identified later as Drive C:. Getting Windows 7 booting again is a separate issue from loading openSUSE onto an External Hard drive and using the USB drive as your Boot drive. No matter if Windows boots on its own or not (assuming you did not corrupt your Windows 7 install trying to fix it, openSUSE can start launch just as it could before, even from an external hard drive install of openSUSE.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

On 2013-01-24 13:06, plesset wrote:
    >
    > I use the windows boot manager

That's a problem, few people here use it at all. I have no idea what the
    printout you post next means.

A note: Please use code tags for printouts and commands. Advanced
    editor, '#' button.
    Posting in
    Code Tags - A Guide

A note: you say: “Preferably I would like to add it to the MBR”. I do
    not understand that, you can not add anything to the MBR. Certainly not
    the ability to choose what you boot. The MBR is just a very small
    program smaller than 400 bytes long that simply loads a bigger code from
    a fixed place in the same disk. It is that secondary code which may be
    able to put a menu and let you choose what to boot.

If you want to use the Windows boot manager I suppose you need to
    install the free utility "EasyBCD" to manage it. I hope it is able to
    boot whatever is on a secondary disk. If not, you will have to ask those
    people.

I would then install openSUSE in the second disk, telling yast to
    install grub to that disk (beware: Yast will want to install it on the
    first disk even if openSUSE is installed to the second disk). Thus the
    Windows bootloader would simply boot grub in the second disk, and this
    grub would in turn boot openSUSE.

I'm assuming grub2 works in this situation, I don't know.,

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

I'll try to remember this in the future ...

A note: Please use code tags for printouts and commands. Advanced
    editor, '#' button.

On 01/25/2013 08:16 AM, plesset wrote:
    >
    > I'll try to remember this in the future ...
    >
    >>
    >> A note: Please use code tags for printouts and commands. Advanced
    >> editor, '#' button.
    >>

While you are remembering, stop top posting.

A. It puts things in an unnatural order.
    Q. Why is top posting bad?

Just to finish this, I finally got it to work but not exactly as I has visioned it.

1. To begin with, I could never properly install 12.2 on the new drive (/sdb). The installer would run without any complaints or warnings, but never boot it (even with placing it at the top of the boot order list in bios). I was careful to place grub2 on to sdb1 ("/") and not sda.
    2. The old setup (win7 & openSUSE 12.2) would still boot from sda as before. Remember that sda was I disk from my old desktop which I had placed in the new one.
    3. openSUSE wouldn't recognize the ethernet controller (Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10))
    4. After compiling it by hand (basically I followed this networking - How do I install drivers for the Atheros AR8161 Ethernet controller? - Ask Ubuntu), it worked.
    5. Finally I deleted all partitions (from the failed install process) on sdb, reformatted as ext4, and mounted as /home2. After rsync-ing with /home I flipped the mount points

Code:
    > df -h                                                                                        
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on                                                      
    rootfs           20G  7.3G   12G  39% /                                                               
    devtmpfs        7.9G  4.0K  7.9G   1% /dev                                                            
    tmpfs           7.9G  4.0K  7.9G   1% /dev/shm                                                        
    tmpfs           7.9G  700K  7.9G   1% /run                                                            
    /dev/sda6        20G  7.3G   12G  39% /                                                               
    tmpfs           7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup                                                  
    tmpfs           7.9G  700K  7.9G   1% /var/lock                                                       
    tmpfs           7.9G  700K  7.9G   1% /var/run                                                        
    tmpfs           7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /media                                                          
    /dev/sdb1       1.8T   84G  1.7T   5% /home

Thank you all for your comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast