Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    47

    Default cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

    Hello all,

    I am running openSuSE 12.2 (x86_64)
    Code:
    kde4-config -v
    Qt: 4.8.1
    KDE Development Platform: 4.8.5 (4.8.5) "release 2"
    kde4-config: 1.0
    On a AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 965 Black Edition processor
    Mounted on a ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO.

    Output of
    Code:
    # cpufreq-info
    Code:
    cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
    Report errors and bugs to http://bugs.opensuse.org, please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
      driver: powernow-k8
      CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
      CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
      maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.40 GHz
      available frequency steps: 3.40 GHz, 2.70 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.40 GHz.
                      The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
      cpufreq stats: 3.40 GHz:22.86%, 2.70 GHz:0.67%, 2.20 GHz:5.62%, 800 MHz:70.85%  (27493)
    analyzing CPU 1:
      driver: powernow-k8
      CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 1
      CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
      maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.40 GHz
      available frequency steps: 3.40 GHz, 2.70 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.40 GHz.
                      The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
      cpufreq stats: 3.40 GHz:21.80%, 2.70 GHz:0.58%, 2.20 GHz:4.87%, 800 MHz:72.75%  (27583)
    analyzing CPU 2:
      driver: powernow-k8
      CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 2
      CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 2
      maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.40 GHz
      available frequency steps: 3.40 GHz, 2.70 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.40 GHz.
                      The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
      cpufreq stats: 3.40 GHz:25.16%, 2.70 GHz:0.69%, 2.20 GHz:5.16%, 800 MHz:68.98%  (27202)
    analyzing CPU 3:
      driver: powernow-k8
      CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 3
      CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 3
      maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.40 GHz
      available frequency steps: 3.40 GHz, 2.70 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.40 GHz.
                      The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
      cpufreq stats: 3.40 GHz:23.34%, 2.70 GHz:0.72%, 2.20 GHz:6.13%, 800 MHz:69.82%  (28866)
    Output of
    Code:
    # cpupower info
    Code:
    System's multi core scheduler setting: 1
    System's thread sibling scheduler setting: not supported
    System does not support Intel's performance bias setting
    analyzing CPU 0:
    Output of
    Code:
    # cpupower frequency-info
    Code:
    analyzing CPU 0:
      driver: powernow-k8
      CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
      CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
      maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.
      hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.40 GHz
      available frequency steps: 3.40 GHz, 2.70 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz
      available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance
      current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.40 GHz.
                      The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                      within this range.
      current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
      cpufreq stats: 3.40 GHz:22.64%, 2.70 GHz:0.66%, 2.20 GHz:5.71%, 800 MHz:70.98%  (29644)
      boost state support:
        Supported: no
        Active: no
        Boost States: 0
        Total States: 4
        Pstate-P0:  3400MHz
        Pstate-P1:  2700MHz
        Pstate-P2:  2200MHz
        Pstate-P3:  800MHz
    Output of
    Code:
    # cpupower monitor
    Code:
    No HW Cstate monitors found
    Now what I am getting from this is that the CPU supports P-states but no C-states and Boost states, which I assume are the same as Turbo capabilities. Havent used windows in along time but I do remember that I had experimented with turbo boost utilities supplied by the motherboard manufacturer so it could just be that there is no software or drivers in linux that utilizes these capabilities. But C-states should be there.

    Could it be that powernow-k8 driver is outdated? Or am I missing something here?

    Any information that would help me to clarify whether is a hardware or software lacking issue would be more than welcome.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

    Nothing? Anyone?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

    Quote Originally Posted by k-a View Post
    Nothing? Anyone?
    May I ask just what it is you want to do with this CPU and motherboard? Can you tell me if this works for you?:

    C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utility - Version 1.20 - For use with the cpufrequtils package: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...ls-package-40/

    Have you ever look at this blog?:

    YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...ge-how-faq-28/

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    May I ask just what it is you want to do with this CPU and motherboard? Can you tell me if this works for you?:

    C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utility - Version 1.20 - For use with the cpufrequtils package: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...ls-package-40/

    Have you ever look at this blog?:

    YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...ge-how-faq-28/

    Thank You,
    Thanks for the response.

    What I want to do is calibrate my system in a way that utilizes the capabilities of the CPU and the motherboard for maximum performance when needed and maximum power saving when performance is not needed. cpufreq is not as updated to today’s technology available in the hardware that is why I chose to go with cpupower which is, to my understanding, the continuation of cpufreq updated with all the new features cpu come with today.

    I visited the links you posted but I would rather go with an approach that gives me more control of P-states, C-states T-states and Turbo features. I did my research and eventually decided to go with the tools mentioned here: openSUSE 12.2: Chapter 11. Power Management.

    I have used these features through Asus software in Windows so I am pretty sure they exist and they work. Since I made a complete transition to openSuSE, calibrating my system as I described, was low on my to do list. I finally found the time to do it but I run into a speed bump which is visible in my initial post.

    But regardless of the background story, my question is pretty specific.

    cpupower frequency-info states that boost state is not supported and cpupower monitor states that no HW Cstate monitor found. It seems to me its wrong so could it be the cpu powernow-k8 driver or is it because of lack of drivers from the motherboard manufacturer?
    Is there something I can do to be able to use these features?

    It could be that I am totally missing something. If this is the case please enlighten me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Unhappy Re: cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

    Quote Originally Posted by k-a View Post
    Thanks for the response.

    What I want to do is calibrate my system in a way that utilizes the capabilities of the CPU and the motherboard for maximum performance when needed and maximum power saving when performance is not needed. cpufreq is not as updated to today’s technology available in the hardware that is why I chose to go with cpupower which is, to my understanding, the continuation of cpufreq updated with all the new features cpu come with today.

    I visited the links you posted but I would rather go with an approach that gives me more control of P-states, C-states T-states and Turbo features. I did my research and eventually decided to go with the tools mentioned here: openSUSE 12.2: Chapter 11. Power Management.

    I have used these features through Asus software in Windows so I am pretty sure they exist and they work. Since I made a complete transition to openSuSE, calibrating my system as I described, was low on my to do list. I finally found the time to do it but I run into a speed bump which is visible in my initial post.

    But regardless of the background story, my question is pretty specific.

    cpupower frequency-info states that boost state is not supported and cpupower monitor states that no HW Cstate monitor found. It seems to me its wrong so could it be the cpu powernow-k8 driver or is it because of lack of drivers from the motherboard manufacturer?
    Is there something I can do to be able to use these features?

    It could be that I am totally missing something. If this is the case please enlighten me.
    In the end, if the available tools here don't do what you want, you must visit the AMD website and/or the motherboard web site to see if Linux tools exist that you could compile and install into openSUSE. I have not see such here beyond what has already been suggested.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    In the end, if the available tools here don't do what you want, you must visit the AMD website and/or the motherboard web site to see if Linux tools exist that you could compile and install into openSUSE. I have not see such here beyond what has already been suggested.

    Thank You,
    Already visited AMD and Asus websites, the support section do not provide any drivers or software for linux systems. Posting in the forums is always my last resort. I prefer finding the solutions through my own research and rarely taking the easy way out. But when all else fail I seek the advice of more experienced users. Apparently my question might be a bit too low level to get an answare here, although with linux been the operating system that provides the user with the freedom to use the hardware as he/she pleases (ofcourse not the only freedom), I did expect at least some of the members in these forums would be able to help.

    Ah well, if I find any more information and / or become able to produce a methodology for utilizing these cpu/motherboard features I will make a new post in the thread for anyone else interested.

    Thanks for your time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: cpupower: No HW Cstate monitors found

    Quote Originally Posted by k-a View Post
    Already visited AMD and Asus websites, the support section do not provide any drivers or software for linux systems. Posting in the forums is always my last resort. I prefer finding the solutions through my own research and rarely taking the easy way out. But when all else fail I seek the advice of more experienced users. Apparently my question might be a bit too low level to get an answare here, although with linux been the operating system that provides the user with the freedom to use the hardware as he/she pleases (ofcourse not the only freedom), I did expect at least some of the members in these forums would be able to help.

    Ah well, if I find any more information and / or become able to produce a methodology for utilizing these cpu/motherboard features I will make a new post in the thread for anyone else interested.

    Thanks for your time.
    Indeed, if you find anything of interest in this subject, please make a post of the info here. While we do deal with hardware specific issues, most common being Wireless networking and video operation, doing anything much with a CPU beyond speed and basic power consumption, like on a Laptop, is about all you will find here. I wish you good luck is your quest.

    Thank You for using openSUSE,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •