Java (OpenJDK) question

I really don’t have any need for Java in any shape or form.
I don’t need it in the web browser either.
I understand that it comes already installed but I would prefer to uninstall it.

What would be the best way ?
Search for java in the package manager and mark everything found for removal, then proceed with removal ?

I’m not that familiar with Linux in general so forgive me for asking this, but is there anything in the default installation of openSuse that requires Java ?

Can I safely remove it and not affect OS in any way ?

I’m using 12.2 KDE version, default apps installed apart from XBMC and Clementine.

Thanks.

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:26:01 +0000, gzenum wrote:

> What would be the best way ?
> Search for java in the package manager and mark everything found for
> removal, then proceed with removal ?
>
> I’m not that familiar with Linux in general so forgive me for asking
> this,
> but is there anything in the default installation of openSuse that
> requires Java ?
>
> Can I safely remove it and not affect OS in any way ?

Use the package manager to remove it. If it’s needed for another
package, the package manager will tell you what the dependency is and let
you either remove it and the programs that require it, or to keep it and
not break the dependency.

That said, if you don’t need it (but it’s required for something that’s
installed that you do need), then arguably you do need it - but it
doesn’t hurt anything for it to be on the drive doing nothing. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Why would you want to remove it at first? LibreOffice for example wouldn’t find a valid Java Runtime Environment anymore.
My advice: just leave it where it is, as long as you don’t need it, it won’t hurt you, and when you do need it, it will be there.

Well I just don’t like it, what can I say :slight_smile:

Anyways, I’ve uninstalled java browser plugin only (icedtea-web) and that worked great, no more java in the browser :slight_smile:

As for the runtime environment … I’ll think about it, I’ll probably remove it and see what exactly depends on it.
If there are problems I’ll bring it back.

Java will also show up using unexpected names.

So, for instance “Iced Tea” is a version of Java often used and commonly is the Java plugin nowadays for Firefox (Simply disable it in the Plugins section in FF).

TSU

That should do the trick.I believe you are removing your JRE after reading various articles in the web.
You are not safe even now. To be completely safe remove adobe plugin. Remove flash too :-). Disable all plugins in your browser.
Navigating to this page should not show any plugins. Why do Java, Silverlight, Adobe Acrobat and other plugins no longer work? | Firefox Help
Wait a minute. Isn’t there a iframe based virus spreading on the net?
Use text browsers(w3m,links,lynx,emacs-w3) to be completely safe.

Yes, I like lynx! Good old times.

Take it easy guys, there’s no reason for sarcasm rotfl!

Yes, one of the reasons for removing it is security, but that’s not the main reason.
I like to have a clean system as much as possible, if I don’t need something I’m gonna remove it.
**WHY **is not the issue, it was a simple question, I just wasn’t sure if OS itself require Java for some reason.
Individual apps that need Java are not the problem for me.

Guess I should have shoot first and asked questions later :slight_smile:

No, why is very important. I have noticed many questions over the years where what they ask is not really what they want. In any case you had an answer that libreoffice might complain if it does not find a jre.

That is not true. Read this: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way (and maybe a bit more there).

People here are very helpful in general. But it is already difficult enough to get an idea about other people’s knowledge level, what they are doing, seeing, hearing on their systems. Every piece of information that makes it easier to understand what an OP is trying to achieve makes a good advice easier. Just giving a stupid direct answer to a question is a good joke now and then (and computers do it all the time), but in the end it helps nobody.

You must also except that this is a community. Not a helpdesk. Thus your question/problem will be read by many (coming here directly ot via Google) and a good thread where goal, problem, solution(s) and the pros and cons of all this is discussed, might help others in getting new ideas and managing their systems using good practices.

Okay, but I think I explained it pretty good in the first post.

So yes, I don’t need it, I don’t like it and I would like to remove it.
It was the removal process that was really confusing me, along with the fact that it comes pre-installed with the installation.
If the reason for that was the fact that LibreOffice needs it, then okay, I get that now.
I don’t need LibreOffice either btw.

So, if you read carefully my first post you would see that the question was how do I remove it and would that removal affect OS in any way.
As for the affect on the OS I understand now that LibreOffice would complain, okay. If there is nothing else that requires it then I’m good to go.
As for how to exactly remove it I’m not sure yet, I guess removing this package ( java-1_7_0-openjdk ) via Software Management in Yast would do the trick.

That’s all there was to my question.

Yes. That should remove it.

Thank you very much.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:06:01 +0000, gzenum wrote:

> So, if you read carefully my first post you would see that the question
> was how do I remove it and would that removal affect OS in any way.

That question did get answered, though - I answered it. You remove it
with YaST software management, and when you go through the process, if
there are things that depend on it, you’ll get a warning and be asked to
resolve the conflict (to either remove packages that depend on it or to
leave it installed - or to break the dependency, which isn’t recommended).

Jim

Jim Henderson

Yes you did and thank you for your help.
It wasn’t clear though which one to select (I was talking about entering java in the search box) , there were 6-7 results found which were installed.
Anyhow, I’ve uninstalled just the browser plugin thus far, I’m not ready just yet for trying that java removal operation, I’m leaving that for the end if everything else works out fine.
By that I mean I’m testing how this version of openSuse is working, had some problems before but it was not openSuse related but linux in general (sound and video) , this time both things are working great, I don’t even need to install ati proprietary drivers which was the must before. It’s been 48 hrs since I installed it and it works really great, I’m seriously thinking now about switching to it full time. I’ll have it run for another week, if everything is okay then I’ll do some cleaning and probably install it again but with package selection during install. Or go without re-installing OS again if removal of packages that I don’t need goes fine.

Just for the record, LibreOffice works without any problems with JDK removed.
There were also no dependency warnings for anything else when JDK package was removed, so I guess nothing was using it after all.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:46:01 +0000, gzenum wrote:

> Just for the record, LibreOffice works without any problems with JDK
> removed.
> There were also no dependency warnings for anything else when JDK
> package was removed, so I guess nothing was using it after all.

There are things that use Java in LibreOffice - but it may not be a hard
dependency.

It is mostly used by the database (“Base”) and for things like JDBC
drivers (which by definition require Java).

Jim

Jim Henderson

On 25.01.2013 21:46, gzenum wrote:
>
> Just for the record, LibreOffice works without any problems with JDK
> removed.
> There were also no dependency warnings for anything else when JDK
> package was removed, so I guess nothing was using it after all.
>
>

Exporting to pdf requires java of some sort, jdk will do.

Vahis

http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) 2.6.37.6-0.20-default Evergreen, main host
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) 3.7.4-20-desktop Tumbleweed
openSUSE 12.2 (i586) 3.4.11-2.16-desktop in EeePC 900

It is mostly used by the database (“Base”) and for things like JDBC drivers (which by definition require Java).

Exporting to pdf requires java of some sort, jdk will do.

Thanks.I was wondering what modules in Libreoffice require jre. I think import pdf and editing the same would also get affected