Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skype - Distorted Microphone Input

Blog Entries

Default Re: Skype - Distorted Microphone Input

Quote Originally Posted by idanan View Post
    Then, I spend a good amount of time fiddling with the mixer to correct the problem and it seems I can only make it worse! At best, I get
    my voice played back at a reasonable volume but completely distorted. At worst, I got no playback at all. What controls Skype hearing
    me is the setting called 'Capture' (it has to be ON but any gain is fine), plus Front Mic Boost (It has to be at least 1/3 from the bottom to
    record myself). When Skype is allowed to 'Change Mixer Settings', I can see the Front Mic Boost going to the maximum.
    Please, can you run the same diagnostic script again, and post here the web address of the output provided, so we can review the settings which you believe to be the optimum.

Note your capture varied from 0% (no capture) to 100% (serious distortion possible in capture) in your mixer. It was not configured properly IMHO, so I am curious as to what you now believe to be the optimum.

The only odd thing
    I just noticed is that in Yast -> Sound there are 3 cards listed and one says 'Not Configured' and it has the same name as the first one.
    The Delete button refuses to do anything while trying to configure is results in an error saying there is no kernel driver for it! Specifically,
    the cards are list as follows:

Code:
    0                      SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    1                      R700 Audio Device [Radean HD 4000 Series]
    Not Configured  SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    Any ideas why there would be this extra sound card and how to remove it?
    YaST typically picks up those settings from the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf. If you delete that file and go into YaST and reconfigure, that device may be gone (assuming it is not a real hardware device). However doing so may give you a bunch of extra KDE dialog box warnigns (if you are using KDE desktop) which may be confusing to you and you will then need to sort.

In any event, what ever final optimal configuration you end with, it is THAT configuration that I am interested in viewing from the diagnostic script. There is very little point in showing me a diagnostic script output that has no resemblance to your current settings.

Good luck.

Hi again,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this! I really appreciate it. Here is the output of the script again:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ef...f629857fe3faa0

At this point arecord work perfectly and Skype records something but it is not inteligible.

Now because you said my previous settings made no sense and should have made it impossible to record,
    I mentioned the sound card issue, in case alsainfo is not showing the right settings! It is only a guess, but I
    imagine it would be possible for the system to be confused and show the configuration for a card that is not
    there!

Here is the sound file you mentioned:

Code:
    [/home/itai] cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
    # 5Dex.j_qSqBy1Xx9:SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    # NXNs.txz_sgxDiRE:R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]
    alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
    Seams like there are only two and YaST is confused. Yes, I am using KDE, maybe I'll rename the file and
    see what happens when I have time for a reboot.

Please let me know if you see any that can be tried and how to do it.

Thanks again!
    - Itai
    http://www.cybernium.net

Blog Entries

Thank you for taking the time to look at this! I really appreciate it. Here is the output of the script again:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ef...f629857fe3faa0
    Your front mic is switched OFF in your mixer. You need to switch it on IMHO for Skype to work. Note this setting from that script output:
    Code:
    Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
      Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 31
      Mono:
      Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [off]
      Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [off]
    wrt the Skype application ... what are you choices in the 'options' > 'sound devices' tab for the mic ?

Hi again,

Actually, that setting makes only one difference on my system: With it ON, I hear myself in the headset too. With it OFF, I do
    not hear myself. In either case, the audio that Skype records is heavily distorted. From my experiments yesterday, the setting
    that toggles whether Skype hears me or not is actually this one:

Code:
    Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
      Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
      Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Capture 0 - 46
      Front Left: Capture 34 [74%] [18.00dB] [on]
      Front Right: Capture 34 [74%] [18.00dB] [on]

In Skype sound options, the default resulted in no audio being recorded so I set it to:

Microphone -> HDA ATI SB, ALC889 Analog (hw:0,0)
    Speaker -> Default device (default)
    Ringing ->
    Default device (default)

Also, I tried with 'Allow Skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels' on (the initial setting) and off (what I left it as since
    it made it easier to play with mixer settings).

The microphone option that worked at least coincides with the settings that work for arecord.
    Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    - Itai

Blog Entries

No ideas. I use pulse audio with Skype. You don't.

Why does pulse audio not work for you ?

There are users who claim their PC works better without pulse audio, but unfortunately they rarely step in to help. One of these users who do not use pulse audio needs to step in and give suggestions.

Did you try surfing google on " distorted audio in skype " or " distorted sound in skype " , and then try out some of the suggestions from that ?

Hi,

The PulseAudio story:
    1. Installed OpenSUSE 11.1 and had NO sound from any application, not even the web brower, flash, audio player, nothing.
    2. Looked up my problem and found an answer in the 11.1 forum saying to try uninstalling PulseAudio. I did and it worked. Audio was working perfectly even in Skype.
    3. Installed OpenSUSE 12.1 (yes, I skipped some) and well there was no audio at all. Familiar with this problem, I uninstalled PulseAudio and it worked perfectly, Skype too.
    4. Installed OpenSUSE 12.2 and well there was no audio at all. Familiar with this problem, I uninstalled PulseAudio and everything got its audio back except Skype Recording.
    (Skype plays back, arecord records, aplay plays, audio players, VLC, web-browsers, etc ALL play and record audio).

Now whenever I mention that PulseAudio is not installed, someone says that must be my problem. The truth is I DO NOT KNOW. There is a reason why PulseAudio
    does not work but my original problem was not 'PulseAudio not working', it was 'No audio in OpenSUSE'. If it works, I couldn't care less which audio library is there or
    not there.

So, unfortunately, that is all I know. It would take time to figure out why PulseAudio does not work and I don't even know what I have instead of PulseAudio because
    I guess that I would have to uninstall whatever is giving me audio now. Seems like I have packages called ALSA-something and ASOUND-something. It does not look
    like they can be removed easily because other applications I regularly on my system depend on them. Maybe PulseAudio does not work because some applications
    create conflicting requirements? Or maybe it did not like my motherboard (no sound-card in my system, so onboard sound is what I use).

In the meantime, I tried some other things to patch Skype but did not find much applicable. None of the tried ones worked.

As for PulseAudio, where could I start to figure out how to install and configure it without hosing all my other audio applications? I may try but I'd have
    to wait until I have more free time.

Thanks again!

- Itai

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    No ideas. I use pulse audio with Skype. You don't.

Why does pulse audio not work for you ?

There are users who claim their PC works better without pulse audio, but unfortunately they rarely step in to help. One of these users who do not use pulse audio needs to step in and give suggestions.

Did you try surfing google on " distorted audio in skype " or " distorted sound in skype " , and then try out some of the suggestions from that ?
    - Itai

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12