Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: graphics out of kernel memory

  1. #1

    Default graphics out of kernel memory

    continuing to have issues with 12.2. after about a day of up-time, xorg goes to 100% cpu. after about two days of up-time, kernel begins issuing this:

    Code:
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: [TTM] Out of kernel memory
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: [TTM] Out of kernel memory
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: radeon 0000:0f:00.0: object_init failed for (8192, 0x00000006)
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: [drm:radeon_gem_object_create] *ERROR* Failed to allocate GEM object (8192, 4, 4096, -12)
    at first, this was occurring with an FX1800 card and the nouveau driver. suspecting it could be a fault on the card, it was replaced with a new ati FMV2250. same result, same problems, different driver. i suspected firefox might be part of the problem. restarted the system, logged in and walked away from it for three days. did not use it, did not start firefox. the log above was from that time.

    Code:
    0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI FireMV 2250 [1002:719b] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:0602]
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 24
            Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Memory at f5000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
            I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
            [virtual] Expansion ROM at f5020000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
            Capabilities: [58] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
            Kernel driver in use: radeon

    does anyone have any suggestions? the only thing i can come up with is to try a different distribution.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    On 2013-01-20 21:26, ewhite20 wrote:
    > does anyone have any suggestions? the only thing i can come up with
    > is to try a different distribution.


    Use top in a terminal, sort by memory usage (press uppercase 'M'),
    paste 10 top lines into a file at intervals and compare if something is
    growing. Paste here for us to see, inside code tags (advanced editor,
    '#' button).

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    Quote Originally Posted by ewhite20 View Post
    continuing to have issues with 12.2. after about a day of up-time, xorg goes to 100% cpu. after about two days of up-time, kernel begins issuing this:

    Code:
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: [TTM] Out of kernel memory
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: [TTM] Out of kernel memory
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: radeon 0000:0f:00.0: object_init failed for (8192, 0x00000006)
    Jan 17 19:18:32 acan kernel: [drm:radeon_gem_object_create] *ERROR* Failed to allocate GEM object (8192, 4, 4096, -12)
    at first, this was occurring with an FX1800 card and the nouveau driver. suspecting it could be a fault on the card, it was replaced with a new ati FMV2250. same result, same problems, different driver. i suspected firefox might be part of the problem. restarted the system, logged in and walked away from it for three days. did not use it, did not start firefox. the log above was from that time.

    Code:
    0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI FireMV 2250 [1002:719b] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:0602]
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 24
            Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Memory at f5000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
            I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
            [virtual] Expansion ROM at f5020000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
            Capabilities: [58] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
            Kernel driver in use: radeon

    does anyone have any suggestions? the only thing i can come up with is to try a different distribution.
    You need to tell us a lot more about your hardware. Most often, nVIDIA is the best way to go unless its very old. So we want to know:

    1. PC Brand & Model?
    2. Total Memory Installed?
    3. Number of Hard disks, and size of hard disk?
    4. Number, size and type of openSUSE partitions?
    5. Is this a 32 or 64 bit installation?
    6. What Desktop did you install?

    Lets assume you will be using nVIDIA video hardware. By the way, the word [code] must be all upper case as in "CODE or /CODE" if entered manually or from some other editor.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  4. #4

    Default Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    You need to tell us a lot more about your hardware. Most often, nVIDIA is the best way to go unless its very old. So we want to know:

    1. PC Brand & Model?
    2. Total Memory Installed?
    3. Number of Hard disks, and size of hard disk?
    4. Number, size and type of openSUSE partitions?
    5. Is this a 32 or 64 bit installation?
    6. What Desktop did you install?

    Lets assume you will be using nVIDIA video hardware. By the way, the word [code] must be all upper case as in "CODE or /CODE" if entered manually or from some other editor.

    Thank You,
    HP Z600, dual X5650
    12GB
    2 x 500GB
    Code:
    Filesystem                     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                          69G  9.4G   59G  14% /
    devtmpfs                       5.9G   52K  5.9G   1% /dev
    tmpfs                          5.9G   92K  5.9G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                          5.9G  648K  5.9G   1% /run
    /dev/sda1                       69G  9.4G   59G  14% /
    tmpfs                          5.9G     0  5.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs                          5.9G  648K  5.9G   1% /var/run
    tmpfs                          5.9G  648K  5.9G   1% /var/lock
    tmpfs                          5.9G     0  5.9G   0% /media
    /dev/sdb1                      459G  187G  272G  41% /usr2
    /dev/sda3                      372G   89G  282G  24% /home
    Linux acan 3.4.11-2.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 26 17:05:00 UTC 2012 (259fc87) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    kde

    the box came with an fx1800. but the ati fmv2250 is currently installed. it behaves better with my aging kvm switch.

  5. #5

    Default Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Use top in a terminal, sort by memory usage (press uppercase 'M'),
    paste 10 top lines into a file at intervals and compare if something is
    growing. Paste here for us to see, inside code tags (advanced editor,
    '#' button).

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))
    i can capture once an hour and watch it for the next few days.

    i've also been playing with xrestop. is it likely to show us anything?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    I would like to see the output from this terminal command, also placed between code # tags:

    Code:
    cat /proc/interrupts
    I would like to see a screen capture of the System Monitor, sorted by the CPU usage (Will have up arrow when selected). Use SUSE Paste, set to image mode, file must be 500 KB or less in size. Set to never expire and copy the download or page link and place it here in your message.

    On one PC, a user said the problem was caused by a low battery on a USB mouse, but could apply to a keyboard as well or anything that runs off a battery.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  7. #7

    Default Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I would like to see the output from this terminal command, also placed between code # tags:

    Code:
    cat /proc/interrupts
    I would like to see a screen capture of the System Monitor, sorted by the CPU usage (Will have up arrow when selected). Use SUSE Paste, set to image mode, file must be 500 KB or less in size. Set to never expire and copy the download or page link and place it here in your message.

    On one PC, a user said the problem was caused by a low battery on a USB mouse, but could apply to a keyboard as well or anything that runs off a battery.

    Thank You,
    i forgot that the tags had to be capitalized! yeah, i lost the shift key long time ago.

    here is proc/interrupts. but with 24 cpu's, it's hard to make it fit.
    Code:
    CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       CPU4       CPU5       CPU6       CPU7       CPU8       CPU9       CPU10      CPU11      CPU12      CPU13      CPU14      CPU15      CPU16      CPU17      CPU18      CPU19      CPU20      CPU21      CPU22      CPU23                                                                                          
       0:        125          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer                                                                 
       1:       2163          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042                                                                 
       6:          3          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      floppy                                                                
       8:          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0                                                                  
       9:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi                                                                  
      12:       3933          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042                                                                 
      19:         88          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   firewire_ohci                                                         
      20:         27          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3, uhci_hcd:usb6                           
      21:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4, uhci_hcd:usb7                                          
      22:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb5, uhci_hcd:usb8                           
      24:       2244          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   radeon                                                                
      66:      35228          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      ahci                                                                  
      67:        319          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      snd_hda_intel                                                         
      68:     120638          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      eth0                                                                  
     NMI:         16          5          8          4          4          3          2          1          1          1          1          1          1          2          1          1          0          0          0          4          1          0          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts                                                                 
     LOC:      45963      36794      31987      28257      34494      51066       8140       7555       6963       7788       7757       4730       2627       5666       4603       3570       2521       7857       2298       7029       4563       2889       2549       2381   Local timer interrupts                                                                  
     SPU:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Spurious interrupts                                                                     
     PMI:         16          5          8          4          4          3          2          1          1          1          1          1          1          2          1          1          0          0          0          4          1          0          0          0   Performance monitoring interrupts                                                       
     IWI:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IRQ work interrupts                                                                     
     RTR:         23          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   APIC ICR read retries
     RES:      24203       8216       2051       1256       1045       1186       1484        899       2542       1916       1447       1228        195        722        395        230        114        221        182        833        221        390        132        218   Rescheduling interrupts
     CAL:        809        884        883        858        890        889       1516       1099       1530       2557       1410       2403        864        708        861        885        854        857        893       2144        945        883        898        910   Function call interrupts
     TLB:        232         88         94         44         62         39         51         31        148         75         53         56          5        160         47         10          3          3          4        217         39         44          7          9   TLB shootdowns
     TRM:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
     THR:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
     MCE:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Machine check exceptions
     MCP:         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20   Machine check polls
     ERR:          0
     MIS:          0
    here is the current sysmon.
    SUSE Paste

    i'll grab another copy in 24 hours and see what changes.

    my keyboard and trackball are run through a kvm switch. now it's a old switch, circa 2000. i have not tested this box on a direct attached kbd and mouse.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,814
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    Hi
    A kernel bug....?
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43751

    I would add your voice to this one that is open with your system
    details.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 4 days 5:37, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.13
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    On my system I've had GPU memory starvation but each time have been able to find the cause, have been related at various times to aggressive allocation of memory to networking, running certain firefox add-ons and running torrent apps.

    I've found the KDE nVidia Plasmoid widget extremely useful despite the limited information it provides because I can see GPU usage in real time with only about a 2 second lag. Logs generally suck in comparison because you'll never really know what was running at the exact times memory was being consumed without being let go (aka memory leak) or if your settings just don't support what you are trying to do.

    HTH,
    TSU

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: graphics out of kernel memory

    Quote Originally Posted by ewhite20 View Post
    i forgot that the tags had to be capitalized! yeah, i lost the shift key long time ago.

    here is proc/interrupts. but with 24 cpu's, it's hard to make it fit.
    Code:
    CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       CPU4       CPU5       CPU6       CPU7       CPU8       CPU9       CPU10      CPU11      CPU12      CPU13      CPU14      CPU15      CPU16      CPU17      CPU18      CPU19      CPU20      CPU21      CPU22      CPU23                                                                                          
       0:        125          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer                                                                 
       1:       2163          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042                                                                 
       6:          3          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      floppy                                                                
       8:          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0                                                                  
       9:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi                                                                  
      12:       3933          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042                                                                 
      19:         88          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   firewire_ohci                                                         
      20:         27          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3, uhci_hcd:usb6                           
      21:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4, uhci_hcd:usb7                                          
      22:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb5, uhci_hcd:usb8                           
      24:       2244          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   radeon                                                                
      66:      35228          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      ahci                                                                  
      67:        319          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      snd_hda_intel                                                         
      68:     120638          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      eth0                                                                  
     NMI:         16          5          8          4          4          3          2          1          1          1          1          1          1          2          1          1          0          0          0          4          1          0          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts                                                                 
     LOC:      45963      36794      31987      28257      34494      51066       8140       7555       6963       7788       7757       4730       2627       5666       4603       3570       2521       7857       2298       7029       4563       2889       2549       2381   Local timer interrupts                                                                  
     SPU:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Spurious interrupts                                                                     
     PMI:         16          5          8          4          4          3          2          1          1          1          1          1          1          2          1          1          0          0          0          4          1          0          0          0   Performance monitoring interrupts                                                       
     IWI:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   IRQ work interrupts                                                                     
     RTR:         23          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   APIC ICR read retries
     RES:      24203       8216       2051       1256       1045       1186       1484        899       2542       1916       1447       1228        195        722        395        230        114        221        182        833        221        390        132        218   Rescheduling interrupts
     CAL:        809        884        883        858        890        889       1516       1099       1530       2557       1410       2403        864        708        861        885        854        857        893       2144        945        883        898        910   Function call interrupts
     TLB:        232         88         94         44         62         39         51         31        148         75         53         56          5        160         47         10          3          3          4        217         39         44          7          9   TLB shootdowns
     TRM:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
     THR:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
     MCE:          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   Machine check exceptions
     MCP:         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20         20   Machine check polls
     ERR:          0
     MIS:          0
    here is the current sysmon.
    SUSE Paste

    i'll grab another copy in 24 hours and see what changes.

    my keyboard and trackball are run through a kvm switch. now it's a old switch, circa 2000. i have not tested this box on a direct attached kbd and mouse.
    Dual six core CPU and hyper-treading does produce a very wide display. Lets see the next capture, but I tend to agree with malcolmlewis that you might want to add your voice to that bug report. Not many users have this setup and even could test such a setup.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •