problem installing frets on fire : python-numeric not found

where i can download that packages ? i want to install frets on fire, but when i install with command :

sudo zypper install fretsonfire

then it says :

sudo zypper in fretsonfireLoading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides python-numeric needed by fretsonfire-1.3.110-4.1.noarch
 Solution 1: do not install fretsonfire-1.3.110-4.1.noarch
 Solution 2: break fretsonfire-1.3.110-4.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): 

plz help me, sorry for bad english

Hi
There are a couple of home users that have it packaged…
software.opensuse.org:

It is deprecated, where did you get the original package from?

Numerical (matrix-oriented) Mathematics for Python This package is now deprecated, please
use the python-numpy package for developing new software.

You could try installing python-numpy, then ignore the python-numeric error and see if that works.

Hmm, package fretsonfire (not installed here) from the games repository requires both python-numeric and python-numpy.

On Fri 18 Jan 2013 03:46:02 PM CST, consused wrote:

Hmm, package fretsonfire (not installed here) from the ‘games
repository’
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/openSUSE_12.2/)
requires both python-numeric and python-numpy.

Hi
Looking at the spec file it’s just a requires (and needs updating) and
the code, it does use numpy rather than numeric.

Install python-numpy, then install fretsonfire and select “Solution 2:
break fretsonfire-1.3.110-4.1.noarch by ignoring some of its
dependencies” and all should be fine.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
up 1 day 18:30, 5 users, load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

ok, will try this :wink:

but, why frets on fire need python-numeric when its deprecated, and not using the new python-numpy ? :\

As malcom said, the packages internal spec file needs changing by the original packager because the program’s source code is now using python-numpy, and -numeric is not available. Packaging is often done by people interested in using the application, but not necessarily familiar with the program’s source code or programming language

I noticed there is also another fretsonfire package called fretscpp when I searched on the word frets (YaST or zypper). It’s a rewrite of the original, but using C++ instead of python, so it shouldn’t need any python- packages. It should give better performance, so you may want to give it a try as well. If it works, you can choose the one you prefer.

oops… i dont saw that before.

when i try frets on fire with python-numpy, it works but run slowly, i dont know why this happen, i have another 3d game that work fine.
& when i try fretscpp, it works smoothly but with some missing graphic like the tutorial text, and the image showing button on tutorial (too).

That’s progress, I guess. I suspect the slow running python version is the reason for the C++ rewrite. Hopefully you can run the slow tutorial, and play on the C++ version. :slight_smile: