Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 12.2/Windows 8 (UEFI) dual boot / grub2

Default Re: openSUSE 12.2/Windows 8 (UEFI) dual boot / grub2

Quote Originally Posted by echoes- View Post
    The goal is simply to get grub to recognize my Windows installation
    It is achieved by both methods.

OK, the first one is simpler, so

1. Install grub2-efi
    2. Use installation 64 bit DVD (not Live) to boot into rescue mode. You can use any other Live CD/DVD as long as you know it boots on UEFI

• reboot and enter firmware boot menu
    • be sure to select menu entry for UEFI DVD as opposed to legacy BIOS boot (this is hardware specific so cannot say anything here)
    • confirm that you see "ELILO boot:" prompt. If not, you selected wrong menu entry
    • enter "rescue" (without quotes). You can press TAB to see possible entries
    • when booted, use "root" with empty password

mount root, boot and ESP and run grub2-efi-install:
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/sysroot
    mount /dev/your-linux-root /tmp/sysroot
    mount /dev/your-linux-boot /tmp/sysroot/boot
    mkdir /tmp/sysroot/boot/efi
    mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/sysroot/boot/efi
    mount --bind /dev /tmp/sysroot/dev
    mount --bind /sys /tmp/sysroot/sys
    mount --bind /proc /tmp/sysroot/proc
    chroot /tmp/sysroot
    /usr/sbin/grub2-efi-install
    /usr/sbin/grub2-efi-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2-efi/grub.cfg
    This should place grub2 EFI bootloader on ESP and create EFI boot menu entry (and make it default). Then try to reboot. Enter EFU boot menu again and verify that you see "openSUSE" and select it. You should boot into your openSUSE installation. Your Windows entry should work now. Do not forget to add /boot/efi to /etc/fstab so it is available later if you need to reconfigure GRUB2 as well as select grub2-efi as bootloader in YaST2.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    This should place grub2 EFI bootloader on ESP and create EFI boot menu entry (and make it default). Then try to reboot. Enter EFU boot menu again and verify that you see "openSUSE" and select it. You should boot into your openSUSE installation. Your Windows entry should work now. Do not forget to add /boot/efi to /etc/fstab so it is available later if you need to reconfigure GRUB2 as well as select grub2-efi as bootloader in YaST2.
    Here is what my fstab currently looks like:

Code:
    UUID=71242393-d510-4a6c-b749-018bd581ccf5 /                    btrfs      defaults              1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EZEX-00RKKA0_WD-WMC1S0402977-part5 /boot                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    UUID=f06dba9e-74e9-45d4-a323-56ad2717fa9c /home                btrfs      defaults              1 2
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    UUID=e1aadb18-988d-4417-96a7-dffb27d08b3d /media/disk          btrfs      user                  1 2
    So after all of the above, I should change /boot to /boot/efi. That's it as far as modifying fstab?

So after all of the above, I should change /boot to /boot/efi.
    No. You should add /boot/efi to /etc/fstab. Do not remove or change existing /boot entry - you get problems. But this can be done later, when you verify that UEFI booting works.

No. You should add /boot/efi to /etc/fstab. Do not remove or change existing /boot entry - you get problems. But this can be done later, when you verify that UEFI booting works.
    OK. Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to do it now.

For the record, I'm using packages from your repo now arvidjaar.

Unfortunately it fails on modules, like I mentioned with my previous experience;

Code:
    error: file '/boot/grub2-efi/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue>
    Could I get some help?

For the record, I'm using packages from your repo now arvidjaar.
    I have no idea in which state they are are you should not use them. You should use packages that come with your version.

Unfortunately it fails on modules, like I mentioned with my previous experience;

Code:
    error: file '/boot/grub2-efi/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue>
    Could I get some help?
    You have separate /boot partition so it should be looking for /grub2-efi, not for /boot/grub2-efi. I can only suspect that you did not follow my instructions precisely. It looks like you did not mount /boot, or mounted it in the wrong place.

You have separate /boot partition so it should be looking for /grub2-efi, not for /boot/grub2-efi. I can only suspect that you did not follow my instructions precisely. It looks like you did not mount /boot, or mounted it in the wrong place.
    Forgive my ignorance but when should I have mounted /boot ?

Forgive my ignorance but when should I have mounted /boot ?
    Did you read instructions I posted earlier?

Did you read instructions I posted earlier?
    Oh you're referring to adding /boot/efi to fstab? Sorry, I totally forgot about that part. I was supposed to do it after generating the new grub2-efi cfg file wasn't I?

Is it safe to simply copy the existing line for my /boot partition and simply add /efi to it?

i.e. copy this

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EZEX-00RKKA0_WD-WMC1S0402977-part5 /boot ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2

to

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EZEX-00RKKA0_WD-WMC1S0402977-part5 /boot/efi ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast