Thread: GTK applications fail with upgrade to KDE 4.9

Default GTK applications fail with upgrade to KDE 4.9

Hi all,
    I just upgraded to 4.9.4 from 12.2 with KDE 4.8 (do not ask why......)
    yesterday, just after the upgrade everything worked fine - today I booted up my computer and most applications (e.g. firefox, thunderbird, unison, cairo-dock) do not start...

starting from terminal I get:

/usr/lib64/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_object_replace_qdata
    in case of thunderbird - any solutions?

Default Re: GTK applications fail with upgrade to KDE 4.9

Perhaps try to force a re-install of libpango-1_0-0 using yast software management. Also, when adding the kde4.9 repository, did you correctly switch to it using yast or (similar to) zypper dup --from "KDE49"?

Yes, I did the proper upgrade - reinstalling does not really help

Blog Entries

Question Re: GTK applications fail with upgrade to KDE 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by darlac View Post
    Hi all,
    I just upgraded to 4.9.4 from 12.2 with KDE 4.8 (do not ask why......)
    yesterday, just after the upgrade everything worked fine - today I booted up my computer and most applications (e.g. firefox, thunderbird, unison, cairo-dock) do not start...

starting from terminal I get:

/usr/lib64/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_object_replace_qdata
    in case of thunderbird - any solutions?
    1. What repositories did you Add? Post them in quotes and in a code # block.
    2. Have you set the repositories priority? We normally suggest Packman is 10, The two openSUSE updates can be 50 each. Your KDE 4.9 might be set for 30 or so and the rest left at 99.
    3. Have you enabled the Allow Vendor Change Setting in YaST?
    4. Did you elect to Switch to these new repositories or how was it that you did an "Upgrade"
    5. Do you have any other KDE versions in your repository list? Open Terminal and run this command: zypper repos

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Here are some threads and bug reports that seem related:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=793153
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ypper-dup.html

I do not have this issue so I am unable to test any solutions myself. Apologies.

@nightwishfan - thanks I will try the solutions from the links you provided

@jdmcdaniel3 - thanks for the point to point directions - tomorrow I will post all the info, and make the changes

Problem solved -
    I followed the solution to the above posted link (https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=793153) that involved - Installing gtk2-branding-upstream gtk3-branding-upstream gio-branding-upstream and go over same dependency conflicts, deinstall the opensuse versions of the packets-

then applications were working, but I got boxes/lines instead of characters - the solution was to roll back libpango-1_0-0 to the same version as libpango-1_0-0-32bit (which is 1.30.1-1.1.2)
    now everything works fine

Additional information - in case my configuration (repositiories) is not correct -
    I added 2 repositories for KDE 4.9
    KDE49-extra - Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_49_openSUSE_12.2
    KDE49 - Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/49/openSUSE_12.2

I used yast to upgrade, after adding these 2 repositiories, and hit the 'switch system packages' under repositories tab, for these 2 repositories

here is the repos output:
    Code:
    ---+--------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+---------+--------
     1 | Geo                                        | Geo                                                            | Yes     | Yes    
     2 | KDE_49                                     | KDE49                                                          | Yes     | Yes    
     3 | KDE_49_extra                               | KDE49extra                                                     | Yes     | Yes    
     4 | Packman Repository                         | Packman Repository                                             | Yes     | Yes    
     5 | Reki                                       | Reki                                                           | Yes     | Yes    
     6 | X11:Cinnamon:GNOME34                       | X11:Cinnamon:GNOME34                                           | Yes     | Yes    
     7 | X11:RemoteDesktop:x2go                     | X11:RemoteDesktop:x2go                                         | Yes     | Yes    
     8 | download.nvidia.com-opensuse               | nVidia Graphics Drivers                                        | Yes     | Yes    
     9 | download.opensuse.org-Apps                 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps                             | Yes     | Yes    
    10 | download.opensuse.org-Education            | openSUSE BuildService - Education                              | Yes     | Yes    
    11 | download.opensuse.org-VirtualBox_backports | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualization (VirtualBox)            | Yes     | Yes    
    12 | home:deltafox                              | home:deltafox                                                  | Yes     | Yes    
    13 | home:etamPL                                | home:etamPL                                                    | Yes     | Yes    
    14 | isv_ownCloud_devel                         | development project, only for testing purposes (openSUSE_12.2) | Yes     | No     
    15 | libdvdcss repository                       | libdvdcss repository                                           | Yes     | Yes    
    16 | nVidia Graphics Drivers                    | nVidia Graphics Drivers                                        | Yes     | Yes    
    17 | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                          | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                                              | No      | No     
    18 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed                        | openSUSE:Tumbleweed                                            | Yes     | Yes    
    19 | opensuse-kde-updated-apps-i586             | opensuse-kde-updated-apps-i586                                 | Yes     | No     
    20 | repo-debug                                 | openSUSE-12.2-Debug                                            | No      | Yes    
    21 | repo-debug-update                          | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug                                     | No      | No     
    22 | repo-debug-update-non-oss                  | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug-Non-Oss                             | No      | No     
    23 | repo-non-oss                               | openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss                                          | Yes     | Yes    
    24 | repo-oss                                   | openSUSE-12.2-Oss                                              | Yes     | Yes    
    25 | repo-source                                | openSUSE-12.2-Source                                           | No      | Yes    
    26 | repo-update                                | openSUSE-12.2-Update                                           | Yes     | Yes    
    27 | repo-update-non-oss                        | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss                                   | Yes     | Yes    
    28 | science                                    | science                                                        | Yes     | Yes
    let me know if you see any potential problems with my repso configuration

Blog Entries

Smile Re: GTK applications fail with upgrade to KDE 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by darlac View Post
    Problem solved -
    I followed the solution to the above posted link (https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=793153) that involved - Installing gtk2-branding-upstream gtk3-branding-upstream gio-branding-upstream and go over same dependency conflicts, deinstall the opensuse versions of the packets-

then applications were working, but I got boxes/lines instead of characters - the solution was to roll back libpango-1_0-0 to the same version as libpango-1_0-0-32bit (which is 1.30.1-1.1.2)
    now everything works fine

Additional information - in case my configuration (repositiories) is not correct -
    I added 2 repositories for KDE 4.9
    KDE49-extra - Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_49_openSUSE_12.2
    KDE49 - Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/49/openSUSE_12.2

I used yast to upgrade, after adding these 2 repositiories, and hit the 'switch system packages' under repositories tab, for these 2 repositories

here is the repos output:
    Code:
    ---+--------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+---------+--------
     1 | Geo                                        | Geo                                                            | Yes     | Yes    
     2 | KDE_49                                     | KDE49                                                          | Yes     | Yes    
     3 | KDE_49_extra                               | KDE49extra                                                     | Yes     | Yes    
     4 | Packman Repository                         | Packman Repository                                             | Yes     | Yes    
     5 | Reki                                       | Reki                                                           | Yes     | Yes    
     6 | X11:Cinnamon:GNOME34                       | X11:Cinnamon:GNOME34                                           | Yes     | Yes    
     7 | X11:RemoteDesktop:x2go                     | X11:RemoteDesktop:x2go                                         | Yes     | Yes    
     8 | download.nvidia.com-opensuse               | nVidia Graphics Drivers                                        | Yes     | Yes    
     9 | download.opensuse.org-Apps                 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps                             | Yes     | Yes    
    10 | download.opensuse.org-Education            | openSUSE BuildService - Education                              | Yes     | Yes    
    11 | download.opensuse.org-VirtualBox_backports | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualization (VirtualBox)            | Yes     | Yes    
    12 | home:deltafox                              | home:deltafox                                                  | Yes     | Yes    
    13 | home:etamPL                                | home:etamPL                                                    | Yes     | Yes    
    14 | isv_ownCloud_devel                         | development project, only for testing purposes (openSUSE_12.2) | Yes     | No     
    15 | libdvdcss repository                       | libdvdcss repository                                           | Yes     | Yes    
    16 | nVidia Graphics Drivers                    | nVidia Graphics Drivers                                        | Yes     | Yes    
    17 | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                          | openSUSE-12.2-1.6                                              | No      | No     
    18 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed                        | openSUSE:Tumbleweed                                            | Yes     | Yes    
    19 | opensuse-kde-updated-apps-i586             | opensuse-kde-updated-apps-i586                                 | Yes     | No     
    20 | repo-debug                                 | openSUSE-12.2-Debug                                            | No      | Yes    
    21 | repo-debug-update                          | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug                                     | No      | No     
    22 | repo-debug-update-non-oss                  | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Debug-Non-Oss                             | No      | No     
    23 | repo-non-oss                               | openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss                                          | Yes     | Yes    
    24 | repo-oss                                   | openSUSE-12.2-Oss                                              | Yes     | Yes    
    25 | repo-source                                | openSUSE-12.2-Source                                           | No      | Yes    
    26 | repo-update                                | openSUSE-12.2-Update                                           | Yes     | Yes    
    27 | repo-update-non-oss                        | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss                                   | Yes     | Yes    
    28 | science                                    | science                                                        | Yes     | Yes
    let me know if you see any potential problems with my repso configuration
    You have way too many repositories present if you are trying to use Tumbleweed. I suggest you are living on the edge for sure. Please read through this article on Tumbleweed.

https://forums.opensuse.org/content/...umbleweed.html

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Too many repos enabled. Not enough information reported e.g. repo priorities and URL's.

User home repos should normally be disabled, along with any of the repos deemed to contain unstable packages. Reenable when you need to update something.

For Tumbleweed, you are running an unsupported repo configuration and presumably an installed mess of packages, so don't expect any help with future problems either on the forum or the mailing list. You will just get advised to drastically reduce the number of repos.