Need more file extensions in Gimp 2.8.0 under OSS 12.2 X86_64

Hi, I used Gimp under 11.4 and 12.1. Therein, I had my choice of saving in any file extension like .jpg and .gif. The Gimp I’m using now only provides .xcf and bzip archive extensions. I’m sure there’s a simple plugin that allow gimp to save in all those other extensions, but I don’t know what to look for. Please give me a clue. Thanks in advance.

Hi
You use export on the file menu…

Not sure I can help, this had me scratching my head to. ATM I just go File > Export
And select the file I’m working on as the target > allow overwite

Thing is, when you close the file in gimp, that you just saved ! it asks if you want to quit without saving
I really don’t like the changes they made
The tool box drives me nuts

Yes, that’s it. In gimp 2.8 - unlike in previous versions - you don’t use ‘save’ anymore but ‘export’ if you want to save in another format but Gimp native one (in this case, you use ‘save’).

I knew it was something simple. I get it, it’s like export in Audacity, wherein, I can “save” as a gimp project or export in any other format. You see, I can learn new tricks. Thanks!:shame:

If that’s simple…! What hope is there.
It’s regression and buggy at that.

On 2013-01-17 07:36, caf4926 wrote:
>
> HealingMindNOS;2519050 Wrote:
>> I knew it was something simple. I get it, it’s like export in Audacity,
>> wherein, I can “save” as a gimp project or export in any other format.
>> You see, I can learn new tricks. Thanks!:shame:
>
> If that’s simple…! What hope is there.
> It’s regression and buggy at that.

I don’t like that change, either.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Don’t like it also. But when you started by opening e.g. file.jpg, there will also be Export to file.jpg in the menu. Which is a bit of a shortcut.

Silly is of course that when you then consider the thing as saved, Gimp still thinks it is not :frowning:

On 2013-01-17 12:46, hcvv wrote:
> Silly is of course that when you then consider the thing as saved, Gimp
> still thinks it is not :frowning:

It is a direct consequence of having to use “export”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

This is intended to be a feature: if you Save in xcf, you also save a history of all the changes you have made. So you can go back through your changes at a later session.

You only Export to another format once you are satisfied that you have finished all your editing of the image.

Oh, I can understand what they thought. But it is counter intuitive (for me at least). Because I did not import the JPEG, I opened it. And in all other software I know, when you then want to save what you changed, that is by default done to the original file.

I am still clicking on the wrong buttons! A habit learned and practiced so long is not easily eradicated.

Well it makes good sense to have the history and to then export when ready, but I’m a reactionary (i.e. don’t like change) so all I can say is (a) Bah! abut also (b) it’s still really, really great software

+1

But I am still strugling. Not only with the above.
When rotating the image, there now is a raster drawn over it, so that I can not see anymore what I am doing. Searched, but could not find how to avoid that raster.

Move the slider for the desired result
Press rotate

???

What you describe is how to rotate. That has not changed at all.

It does NOT remove the irritating raster that is shown over the picture in the new version. The raster obscures part of the picture, preferable parts where I try to look during the rotation to see if my rotation is as is should be. I also often use a auxiliary vertical or horizintal line to rotate a line in the picture until it is parallel to the auxiliary line. My (thin) auxiliary line is obscured by the raster also. That raster in a pain …

And it is not only shown with rotating, but also with other actions from the same list like shearing, etc.

swerdna wrote:
> Well it makes good sense to have the history and to then export when
> ready, but I’m a reactionary (i.e. don’t like change) so all I can say
> is (a) Bah! abut also (b) it’s still really, really great software

It makes no sense at all to break the fundamental GUI convention. If I
open something and then save it, the result is a modified something, not
a completely different type of thing!

If it wants to save the history as well, then by all means do so - IN A
SEPARATE FILE. And since it is creating an unexpected side-effect of a
save operation, it should at least pop-up a dialog warning about it.

It’s what I call ‘script kiddy’ development. Irresponsible and thoughtless.

JMHO.

when i first opened the new gimp and went to save after playing i saw the new controls and i thought it was pretty decent. when you open a jpeg in any graphics editing program you are no longer working with a jpeg, you’re (essentially) working with the file imported as a bitmap in the program’s environment. maybe i just got used to it from using indesign for too many years. i agree that they do need to tweak the distortion controls though. i would rather rotate/perspective from corner handles and shear from center handles.

Hi
This probably clarifies?

Default jpeg saving options | GIMP Plugin Registry

This bit sums it up;
Default jpeg saving options | GIMP Plugin Registry