Kind of Cloud Setup Problem?

Hello,

First of all, I am suse fan, so i want to keep everything done with suse even though it may be easier with other distributions. Right now, I have 4 computers at home, I want to configure them so that they will service as a development purposes.

Following are my needs:

1. Git, Wiki, Teamcity Like tools for source code control.
  2. My Simulation and development tools to be accessed remotely using vnc and etc.
  3. Run simulations at available resources among these 4 computers.
  4. Run 2 Virtual machines for VPN, DNS and publishing web pages.

So what sort of configuration do you suggest? Here is some extra things.

1. I want all the communications from and to these 4 machines to be through VPN
  2. I want my commits and check outs as fast as possible.
  3. I want the web-publishing virtual machine to be outside the vpn.
  4. I want my DNS server to work properly with these 4 machines.
  5. When i create a user, user can access his home directory in any one of these machines.

So what is my best shot?
Any tutorials any advice are all welcome.
Thanks in advance/

On 01/12/2013 08:56 PM, aveb61 wrote:
> I am suse fan, so i want to keep everything done with
> suse

-=WELCOME=- new poster, glad you are here, but when you say “suse” what
do you mean?

that is, there is no “suse” and never has been…

there has been a S.u.S.E., and SuSE, and SUSE, but no suse…

today there are two major divisions: 1) openSUSE and 2) SUSE Linux
Enterprise Desktop/Server/other…

they are not the same…which are you using on your four computers?

and what version?

hmmmmmm…lots of questions you posed…

dd

when i meant was openSUSE, but it may be any other SUSE too, So i am looking for a working solution.

Thanks

On 2013-01-12 23:16, aveb61 wrote:
>
> when i meant was openSUSE, but it may be any other SUSE too, So i am
> looking for a working solution.

Find out exactly what do you have, please.

Use “cat /etc/os-release” and post the result here.

Cheers/Saludos
Carlos E. R. (12.1 test at Minas-Anor)

Sorry for confusion, i didn’t install anything yet. I am exploring my options . So you will tell me what would be better for me, setting up a cloud or individually all the computers and use LDAP and other stuff to get it up and working? Or maybe some other SUSE based solution out there.

Thanks

Your best shot?
Well, I’ve deployed something very close to this, and from experience I can say undoubtedly it will require some intermediate to advanced Networking knowledge even if you were handed a list of the parts to put together.

So, one by one of <your> list…

1. Git, Wiki, Teamcity Like tools for source code control.
    OK. Install git. Install Apache with PHP and deploy MediaWiki which is the software Wikipedia uses. Install Teamcity.
    Have fun.

2. My Simulation and development tools to be accessed remotely using vnc and etc
    OK. Install VNC. But, my impression so far is that the tools you’ve specified to this point work without VNC.

3. Run simulations at available resources among these 4 computers.
    Well. OK. So, set it up that way.

4. Run 2 Virtual machines for VPN, DNS and publishing web pages.
    OK. Can be done.

5. I want all the communications from and to these 4 machines to be through VPN
    Sorry, you’re going to have to be alot more descriptive about what your requirements are…
    Internal or external VPNs?
    Do you have a means to setup a beach head VPN gateway or not? - This largely depends on whether you have restrictions and how you deploy your public and private assets exposed directly to the Public Internet, behind a firewall in a DMZ, behind a firewall in the LAN, what type of firewall you may be using, eg simple filtering like IPtables or a full-blown Proxy firewall, maybe even more. And, that’s just the networking topology, do you envision separate physical or virtual machines for each network node?

6. I want my commits and check outs as fast as possible.
    OK. Probably that will depend on how fluent you are with your file systems and file versioning. “Fast” is not usually a declared objective.

7. I want the web-publishing virtual machine to be outside the vpn.
    OK. Don’t know exactly what you really mean by this, but yes it’s also possible <in special cases> to deploy web resources and websites in a proxified or VPN network, but those are <unusual>. Most typical websites are “ouside” any vpns.

8. I want my DNS server to work properly with these 4 machines.
    OK. The only concept I can derive from your objective is that these 4 machines should likely somehow be members of a Domain and your DNS Server supports the Domain’s name resolution. But, this is typically totally beside the point. Relevant objectives/requirements typically specify whether this is a Private or Public Domain, network topology, legal requirements that might exist (eg Public Domains require 2 registered Nameservers), Whether you intend to keep private and public namespaces separate (eg yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com.local) or a shared namespace in which case you may then need to deploy a Split DNS (namespaces/zones are same but public resolution points to different IP addresses than private resolution).

9. When i create a user, user can access his home directory in any one of these machines.
    Well, now you’re talking about Network Security so that there is a common security between your machines, and maybe even defining Domain Users which can login to any of your machines instead of Local Users which can login only to a specified machine. If you don’t actually require a User to login to each and every machine, there are alternatives to “home directories” which have a special meaning how User Resources are setup… You might also be able to simply deploy a CMS website and allow a User to access his files from wherever simply by logging into a website.

My general impression is that you may not have the technical know-how to plan this solution because in my experience when approaching a project like this you have to be able to ask the right questions first before you lay your first brick… And I just don’t see that. If you disagree with me, I would still encourage you to try and see how far you can take your project.

Unless you want to spend the time to learn it on your own, you should hire someone to build the solution for you.

IMO,
TSU

Thank you very much tsu2
Ok, let me clarify a little bit more.

I know that i can already achieve LDAP + Git + Wiki + Teamcity + NFS + SAMBA + tftpboot + VNC parts. that i had previous experience. I know i need vnc access , because i will be running RTL simulation remotely.

But the tricky part for me is :

1. I need vpn access , because the internal network can only be accessed after joining vpn, working like firewall.
  2. I need dns configuration, because i want the internal network computers should identify themselves by names , not by ip addresses.
  3. Should i setup a cloud for this? Or should i setup machines one by one and connect them using LDAP? Can setting up a cloud help me utilize the processor and memory power efficiently so that i can run like 300 processes at once.? And while the simulations are running how badly may the other processes be hurt?

Thanks

1. Should i setup a cloud for this? Or should i setup machines one by one and connect them using LDAP? Can setting up a cloud help me utilize the processor and memory power efficiently so that i can run like 300 processes at once.? And while the simulations are running how badly may the other processes be hurt?

Won’t comment on the rest but not at all sure what a “cloud” will do for you . Really a “cloud” is a buzz word and not a technical specification. There is no cloud software there is software that can be configured to act as a cloud like process

As to speed it all depends on the hardware and the software you chose to make up the “cloud” ie number of processors, amount of memory speed of network., work load etc.

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 00:36:01 +0000, aveb61 wrote:

> 1) I need vpn access , because the internal network can only be accessed
> after joining vpn, working like firewall.

If it’s your network, a VPN server would be the way to go - openVPN is
pretty easy to set up. You could do something like I do - run openVPN
fron an X86 compilation of OpenWRT in a VM, and open the port in your
firewall to allow VPN traffic in.

Or you could just run it natively (I only used OpenWRT for my setup
because I have a router that I had running it configured, so I just had
to restore a working config).

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 01/13/2013 12:16 AM, aveb61 wrote:
> Sorry for confusion, i didn’t install anything yet.

the way you wrote “I am suse fan, so i want to keep everything done with
suse even though it may be easier with other distributions. Right now, I
have 4 computers at home, I want to configure” sounds like you have four
computers at home loaded with “suse” and wanna know how to connect them…

> I am exploring my
> options . So you will tell me what would be better for me, setting up a
> cloud or individually all the computers and use LDAP and other stuff to
> get it up and working?

(as another has mentioned) “cloud” is a current buzzword…all you wanna
do is connect four computers via networking and be able to access them
from anywhere… no buzzwords needed.

> Or maybe some other SUSE based solution out there.

openSUSE can do what you want, SUSE Linux Enterprise can do what you
want (so can Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu, Apple, Windows and maybe
PlayStation)…but, i doubt (as did another here) if you have the
knowledge/training necessary to implement the lash-up… which is not
to say you can’t learn it…but, that is not and openSUSE problem, it
is a knowledge problem…correctable for sure, but not via forum
dedicated to openSUSE questions…instead you need to focus on basic
networking and general Linux knowledge…

dd http://goo.gl/PUjnL

Re: “Cloud”

You may be referring to what is often described as a “Private Cloud” which typically means hosting your own virtualized machines, ordinarily multi-tenant.

That’s simply a personal preference, a decision to be made based on your available technical skillsets, familiarity with specific virtualization technologies, budget and project objectives.

IMO any and all Servers today should be virtualized for numerous reasons but I also know Admins who still regularly install on bare metal.

IMO,
TSU