Thread: How to erase all other OS when I install 12.2?

Default How to erase all other OS when I install 12.2?

Hello everyone! I am pretty new to Linux and here's my challenge:
    I tried Mint 14 (slow) and PClinuxOS (Synaptic doesn't work) and installed them both on my desktop (Acer AM3100 Win Vista I bot in 2008). I would now like to install openSuse 12.2 over them. In other Linux installs, I would get to a screen where it would ask if I would like to keep my existing OS or just install only the new one. Then I would just choose the new one and it would do the rest. I am using a DVD.
    I would like to install openSuse 12.2 and get rid of the others. I am not sure how to tell it to erase other OS and then how to set up new partitions. Would someone mind giving me some step by step instructions on how to erase the other OS and only install 12.2 ? I really appreciate it, thank you!!!

ps - also, I tried the install yesterday and it seems like oSuse12.2 copied info from PClinuxOS, b/c the desktop although green, looks just like the desktop in PCLOS.

Default Re: How to erase all other OS when I install 12.2?

Personally, I use to delete the other OS partitions (and set up the new ones as well) via GPARTED.
    GParted -- About
    Then I install openSUSE mounting the partitions which I set before, choosing the "Create Partition Setup" option ...

Another way to achieve this is during the installation using the partitioner in there. You can delete there completely what the installer offers and use your owm partition layout.
    Henk van Velden

On 2013-01-08 17:56, pilgrim64 wrote:
    > I would like to install openSuse 12.2 and get rid of the others.

There should be an option in the partitioner named something like "use
    entire disk".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-01-08 17:56, pilgrim64 wrote:
    > I would like to install openSuse 12.2 and get rid of the others.

There should be an option in the partitioner named something like "use
    entire disk".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))
    Yes, that is what I normaly would advice. But there is a recent thread here where the OP reports that it does not work.
    This does of course not mean that it does not function at all (after all, the OP there could have made a mistake) and basicaly I think it is the most simple way to do it.
    Henk van Velden

Welcome to the forums. If you already have a separate /home partition, you are best do a custom partition in the course of which you reformat the root (/) partitions of both the existing OS. Depending on the initial layout of your partitions, you may end up with two ontiguous partitions which you can merge and use for the openSUSE / partition or you may end up with two non-contiguous partitions in which case (assuming one is 20Gb), you can make one the openSUSE / partition and mount the other as a separate partition.

If you do not have a separate /home partition, you may find it easier to back up the contents of /home and then follow Carlos' advice.