Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

Quote Originally Posted by guuwey View Post
    No, no. I mean, the one that was consumed by the installer as I let it do the partitioning. I want to undo the partitioning (to make it an unallocated space).
    Yes, you can do that.

I ran the memory check using the Live KDE CD. There was an error encountered that doesn't seem to stop. It occurred at about 47%. And it looked like it stopped the memory check because of the error.
    I don't know how reliable the memory check is, but it rather sounds like a bad news.... And do we know if it used to pass the test, before you manipulated that RAM?
    I meant a medium check though. ... but I'm not 100% that it is an option. (don't have a live CD here).

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Yes, you can do that.

I don't know how reliable the memory check is, but it rather sounds like a bad news.... And do we know if it used to pass the test, before you manipulated that RAM?
    I meant a medium check though. ... but I'm not 100% that it is an option. (don't have a live CD here).
    Well, there's a Check Installation device (something like that) on the list of options. I've tried to select that. It stopped on the OpenSUSE login screen so I've tried pressing different keys and finally, ESC key and I see several text in a black background saying that it passed the test with a value of 100%.

I cannot say exactly what it contains since I forgot already (even if I have performed it just a while ago).

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-01-17 13:06, dvhenry wrote:
    > Perhaps you can offer some examples?

I posted some to the howto-submissions forum.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))
    Yes, I see, So it can offer some useful details,
    It would be nice if a windows user who uses the English language in windows decided to help (@flymail perhaps?)
    This is what I was requesting, If a situation does not allow the OP to use fdisk, How do we get info useful info from windows,
    And this is the problem you are working on.

Thanks

Well, there's a Check Installation device (something like that) on the list of options. I've tried to select that. It stopped on the OpenSUSE login screen so I've tried pressing different keys and finally, ESC key and I see several text in a black background saying that it passed the test with a value of 100%.
    OK.

I ran the memory check using the Live KDE CD. There was an error encountered that doesn't seem to stop. It occurred at about 47%. And it looked like it stopped the memory check because of the error.
    Are you able to boot from live CD and run this test on anohter computer, then on your laptop again. Is it different?

Quote Originally Posted by dvhenry View Post
    Yes, I see, So it can offer some useful details,
    It would be nice if a windows user who uses the English language in windows decided to help (@flymail perhaps?)
    This is what I was requesting, If a situation does not allow the OP to use fdisk, How do we get info useful info from windows,
    And this is the problem you are working on.
    Thanks
    I didn't want to contribute to further digression from this thread so I posted a new thread. I posted it under this subforum rather than how-to because I was scared-off by the READ-ONLY sign!

OK.

Are you able to boot from live CD and run this test on anohter computer, then on your laptop again. Is it different?
    They're the same.

On 2013-01-17 17:06, flymail wrote:
    > I didn't want to contribute to further digression from this thread so I
    > posted a new thread. I posted it under this subforum rather than how-to
    > because I was scared-off by the READ-ONLY sign!

The howto forum is read only, but the howto sumbission forum is not. How
    else would I been able to post there?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

They're the same.
    Does it mean that what you described earlier applies to both your computers:

?

If it's the case, the RAM in your laptop is probably OK - and this test is not reliable, as I said before.

What exactly doesn't work yet? Or what are you afraid is going to fail?

Does it mean that what you described earlier applies to both your computers:

?
    If it's the case, the RAM in your laptop is probably OK - and this test is not reliable, as I said before.
    Yes.

What exactly doesn't work yet? Or what are you afraid is going to fail?
    Well, I don't want my laptop to be unable to boot again, just like what happened last time since I'll be needing this until Wednesday.

Hi guuvey,

Glad to know your laptop is booting again! Refer to my post at #236, the more I read the exchanges the more I am convinced that you have/had multiple problems i.e. both hardware and software. It appears that at some point in all that opening and closing the laptop to access the internals, the hardware problem (some connector seating) has got resolved. But avoid bumping the laptop around!!

"Dell" has a software pack "PC Check up" to check the hardware. I am sure "Acer" would have a similar package downloadable from their support site. Use that to check the hardware.

As far as software is concerned, there are a lot of more knowledgeable persons advising you on this thread. Just ignore the forays into side issues!

PrakashC

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526