Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 260

Thread: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

  1. #151

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Well, preview was more than enough, ant it looks like something has changed indeed. Here is quite interesting thread: Where do I find the Windows 8 product key when it was preinstalled on - Microsoft Community, specifically post from AllanD_748 on January, 4 2013 (I could not find how to link to specific post). But it probably becomes offtopic here ...
    That's for sure. It will become a topic soon enough in this forum (unfortunately).

  2. #152

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Well, preview was more than enough,.
    Indeed, you can read it if you click "Online-Leseprobe" ... or is that just me because I subscribed to?
    They have a very nice iPad app actually.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,518
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    On Sun 13 Jan 2013 01:56:01 PM CST, please try again wrote:


    guuwey;2517922 Wrote:
    > I've tried shorting J1 and J2. Now my laptop won't boot anymore. After
    > about 3 seconds upon pressing power, my laptop turns off. I do not
    > know now what to do. >.< I'm afraid I this won't be fixed by the
    > service center since I don't have enough money as of the moment. If
    > you know a remedy for this, please share it to me. T__T


    I told you it was not worth the risk.
    Actually the info I posted was taken from a link that you posted. But I
    feel sorry though.



    guuwey;2517922 Wrote:
    >
    > Can I still access my HDD in different computer?


    Yes.


    Hi
    Wow a long thread. I borked my HP ProBook 4525s on a UEFI openSUSE
    install the other day.. Symptom is a flashing caps lock key led and
    black screen. But with the HP you can pop in a USB key with the BIOS
    files, press superkey+B when booting and it does a BIOS recovery.

    You can also fire up the EFI Shell and browse all the system info, so
    if a key etc is in the ACPI tables, it would be visible there.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 1 day 12:55, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.05
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile


  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,728
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    Quote Originally Posted by guuwey View Post

    Can I still access my HDD in different computer?
    Yes
    Pull the HD
    But you may need an adaptor
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    On 2013-01-13 17:24, malcolmlewis wrote:
    > Hi
    > Wow a long thread. I borked my HP ProBook 4525s on a UEFI openSUSE
    > install the other day.. Symptom is a flashing caps lock key led and
    > black screen. But with the HP you can pop in a USB key with the BIOS
    > files, press superkey+B when booting and it does a BIOS recovery.


    flashing leds is the signal of a kernel oops.

    Are you sure that your bios was corrupted as a result? That's a very
    serious issue.

    --
    Cheers/Saludos
    Carlos E. R. (12.1 test at Minas-Anor)

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in GMT +8
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-01-13 14:26, guuwey wrote:
    >
    > I've tried shorting J1 and J2. Now my laptop won't boot anymore. After
    > about 3 seconds upon pressing power, my laptop turns off. I do not know
    > now what to do. >.< I'm afraid I this won't be fixed by the service
    > center since I don't have enough money as of the moment. If you know a
    > remedy for this, please share it to me. T__T


    Has the warranty expired?

    > Can I still access my HDD in different computer?


    Probably, unless it is the cause of the problem.


    --
    Cheers/Saludos
    Carlos E. R. (12.1 test at Minas-Anor)
    Yes. The warranty has expired already.
    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    I told you it was not worth the risk.
    Actually the info I posted was taken from a link that you posted. But I feel sorry though.





    Yes.
    I thought it would help.

    Are there no remedy for this?

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in GMT +8
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    My laptop now opens - the problem is with the RAM, but the same problem occurs - still cannot get out of the this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-29101RzqNY...+Icon+Logo.png

    It beeps after a key is pressed repeatedly.

  8. #158

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Wow a long thread. I borked my HP ProBook 4525s on a UEFI openSUSE
    install the other day.. Symptom is a flashing caps lock key led and
    black screen. But with the HP you can pop in a USB key with the BIOS
    files, press superkey+B when booting and it does a BIOS recovery.
    I think it is described in the (pdf) user manual (the link has been posted earlier in this thread), just after the procedure to clear the CMOS.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,518
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    On Sun 13 Jan 2013 08:27:49 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2013-01-13 17:24, malcolmlewis wrote:
    > Hi
    > Wow a long thread. I borked my HP ProBook 4525s on a UEFI openSUSE
    > install the other day.. Symptom is a flashing caps lock key led and
    > black screen. But with the HP you can pop in a USB key with the BIOS
    > files, press superkey+B when booting and it does a BIOS recovery.


    flashing leds is the signal of a kernel oops.

    Are you sure that your bios was corrupted as a result? That's a very
    serious issue.

    Hi
    Sure, caps lock LED flashing on the HP is corrupted BIOS. The issue is
    openSUSE writing via efibootmgr to a lacking UEFI it's a
    hardware/manufacturer issue.... The UEFI nvram isn't playing nice with
    retaining variable, plus you get a warning that UEFI booting isn't
    supported.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 0:11, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.05
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile


  10. #160

    Default Re: Dual Boot / Multiple OS

    Quote Originally Posted by guuwey View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again
    I told you it was not worth the risk
    I thought it would help.
    Well ... I suspected it would not.

    But your problem is weird. I don't understand why/how the keyboard buffer could be full at this point if you turn off/turn on the power. This isn't surely saved anywhere in memory. But I might be missing something - I'm certainly not a laptop technician, not even a Windows laptop owner.


    If I understand correctly,

    • you got a laptop with Windows preinstalled
    • Your Windows installation uses MBR partitioning (according to a diskpart screenshot you posted earlier) - which is not surprising at all, because some resellers don't even know how to install Windows in UEFI mode and don't care (had the problem here and ended up reinstalling Windows myself)
    • This laptop most likely has UEFI though and boots in BIOS compatibility mode
    • You installed Linux in that mode, we don't know if it succeded. Actually it could have failed if UEFI booting is the default, you performed the UEFI/GPT based setup but it found a MBR.
    • Anyway, now you're not able to call the BIOS setup anymore. (by pressing F2) !!!
    • You might have broken more things while trying to clear the CMOS.


    First off I want to say that I admire your patience and thank you for staying cool despite all this. You haven't yelled at me a single time. I really appreciate.
    It's a long thread, with a couple funny and out of topic discussions, but it sometimes turns out that way. But you also got several knowledgeable people involved here, and I'm sure we'll do what we can to help you. However, if the hardware is broken (and maybe already was before), you might just have to replace it. If ever I had to reinstall Windows, I would start by installing it in UEFI mode if the machine supports it.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •