applications for programing

I am a programmer and I am new in linux.I am using opensuse 12.2(gnome version) on laptop, and looking for application that supports programing in C/C++ and python,and this application should have built-in compilers.If it is possible I would like to be a one application.I’m sorry for my bad english,it’s not my mother’s langauge.
Thank you for your help,
Game

Try code blocks from devel tools ide repository? software.opensuse.org:

Thanks,I couldn’t find codeblocks that works for opensuse

On 2013-01-04 18:06, Gamenoob wrote:
>
> I am a programmer and I am new in linux.I am using opensuse 12.2 and
> looking for application that supports programing in C/C++ and python,and
> this application should have built-in compilers.

I don’t think you will find that in Linux, that is, built-in compilers.
It is not how things are done in Linux. You can find IDEs, yes, but they
call external utilities to do compiling and linking.

I have in my notes Source-Navigator, jed, jedit, eclipse.

Have a look at the programming section in the yast package manager.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

On 2013-01-04 19:48, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> I have in my notes Source-Navigator, jed, jedit, eclipse.

I forgot:

Anjuta, kdevelop, eclipse-cdt, Ultimate, gobby.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

The standard “do everything” IDE is eclipse.

Although eclipse is available in the OpenSUSE repos, the general advice is to just go to eclipse.org, select the version that’s most suitable for your intended use and download from there. If you decide to run a new, upgraded version of Eclipse in the future, simply download again and extract to a new location.

Eclipse will install with its own built in default compilers for specific languages but if you want you can always use something else. When you use the default compiler, yes you can compile a project simply by clicking in the GUI.

HTH,
TSU

I will have to agree. I am a programming idiot but it is simple enough to just use a terminal for everything. An IDE just confuses me. rotfl!

I would like to use eclipse but I don’t which to install to program in python.

And on official website there is no eclipse for opensuse(.rpm file)

Recommend “Classic” which is the generic base version, then install the PyDev modules for Python and CDT modules for C++ development.
There should be plenty of documentation and screenshots on the Internet how to do this.

Some basic beginner info…
Eclipse is a very large IDE which can be used for many types of projects and coding languages. Aside from your initial version selection, it supports modular plugins to further customize its capabilities and configuration. After installing, you should immediately do an update, followed by the “Help… Install New Software” to install desired modules. To install a module, you will need to point your “Install New Software” to a resource server. Some resource servers will be listed but oftentimes you will need to type in the URI. After the server is scanned, available software will be listed for installation.

For absolute beginners, I suggest looking at YouTube videos that show the install, setup and additional “install Software” procedures. The videos won’t likely be exact because every Eclipse version will differ slightly but the overall procedure should be the same.

HTH,
TSU

When you install Eclipse directly from the Eclipse website, it doesn’t install “into” the OS, but “on top of” the OS. In other words, the entire program will run from within the extracted folder tree. So, for example because I didn’t care where I ran it from, on my machine it’s running from a subfolder of Downloads because that’s where the file extracted to by default.

So, no RPM, no DEB or whatever and no compiling needed (the eclipse executable is pre-compiled)… it’s a universal install that will run on any version of Linux.

TSU

I would recommend geany for basic programming
it is available in official repos. opensuse 12.2 comes with python interpretor
for c and c++ . you may need to install gcc and gcc -c++ packages