Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Default Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Please help with installing OpenSuSE on a brand new ASUS X501A laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed.
    This laptop does NOT have any optical drives - NO CD and NO DVD drives.
    It does have two USB drives.
    I also think it has UEFI.

Is OpenSuSE installation even possible on such a system?

Reqs: do not care much about keeping windows 8 on it as long as I can successfully install OpenSuSE.

Specs:
    1). Intel 2.4 GHZ processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD.
    2). BIOS vendor = Aptio Setup Utility from American Megatrends, Inc.
    3). After hitting ESC key at start up a menu comes up. Not sure if its 100% BIOS, or 100% UEFI, or a mix.
    Menu choices are: Main, Advanced, Boot, Security, Save and Exit.
    4). Under Boot menu choices are: Fast Boot (disabled), Launch CSM (disabled) and Driver Option Priorities.
    5). Under Driver Option Priorities choices are: Boot Option #1: [Windows Boot Manage...], Add New Boot Option, Delete Boot Option.
    6). Under the top level "Security" menu the choices are (all either disabled or NOT INSTALLED): Admin password, user password,, secure boot control (disabled).

My major question is: since this laptop does not have any CD/DVD drives and I do not see the familiar BIOS choices to boot from USB what do I do now? I suspect that this UEFI thingy is involved here also - judging by what I see in the BIOS setup screens.

Does anyone know how to make this Aptio BIOS utility accept a UEFI-enabled OpenSuSE installer? In other words how do I make it look at a particular USB drive where the thumb drive with the OpenSuSE initial installer files are?

In Windows 8 the "drives" are "C" 186 GB and "D" 258 GB.

Result of "list disk" in diskpart:
    HTML Code:
    Disk ###    Status     Size   Free   Dyn   Gpt
    ---------   -------    ----   ----   ---   ---
    Disk 0      Online    465 GB  0 GB          *
    In case the text formatter removes the spaces - the star character above is under the "GPT" column.

Some detailed instructions would be wonderful but any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Quote Originally Posted by wantstoknow View Post
    I also think it has UEFI.
    You should know that !

OK. Step one.
    Windows 8 requires secure boot.
    Secure boot requires UEFI boot.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSEinstallation.

On Thu 03 Jan 2013 10:06:02 PM CST, ratzi wrote:

wantstoknow;2515342 Wrote:
    > I also think it has UEFI.

You should know that !

OK. Step one.
    Windows 8 requires secure boot.
    Secure boot requires UEFI boot.

Hi
    From the information provided by the OP, it looks like it's disabled...?

secure boot control (disabled)

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 3:18, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Step 2.

On the page openSUSE.org, in the upper right corner, there are some links covering "getting help".

One of these is "Installation Guides".

Click there and you will get to a list including "Create a live USB drive"
    with a link to
    Live USB stick

There you'll find more comprehensive documentation on how to prepare an USB key (stick) to boot from

Step 3.

Try to boot from that (or of an image of live CD on the USB key/stick).

Don't install instantly.

Just make sure that openSUSE runs - in this case from the USB stick/key instead of a CD/DVD.

3). After hitting ESC key at start up a menu comes up. Not sure if its 100% BIOS, or 100% UEFI, or a mix.
    Menu choices are: Main, Advanced, Boot, Security, Save and Exit.
    A remark: what you see is the BIOS menu.
    It's 100% BIOS and probably 100% UEFI as well.
    It's a BIOS that is capable of booting in UEFI mode (which seems to be the future).

6). Under the top level "Security" menu the choices are (all either disabled or NOT INSTALLED): Admin password, user password,, secure boot control (disabled).
    Another point:
    these passwords will refer to the maintanance of the BIOS itself !
    This means that if you choose these passwords and forget them, you'll have a hard time,
    because this may render your hardware unusable.

Read carefully:
    "secure boot control (disabled)" does not necessarily mean the same as "secure boot (disabled)" !
    The difference is the word 'control'.
    So be careful.

Mike

OK, OK, guys. Thank you and take it easy on me.
    For a living I do C on Solaris. I dwell in a very conservative world, far from pcs.
    I've learned about UEFI less than 24 hours ago. Bought that laptop yesterday on sale. The package said nothing about UEFI. I've figured I'll remove that windows nonsense from the laptop completely and turn it into a nice zippy unix box. Went in to see what's involved and discovered that UEFI business. Hence the post. It feels like the evil empire from Redmond is trying to make it more difficult to install unix on these new machines.

Anyway. Give me some time to digest ratzi's suggestions and answer malcomlewis' question.
    I'll be back.

Ok, guys.
    Answering malcolmlews' and ratzi' questions about the secure boot options.

1). The "Security" screen has three sections. Passwords. I/O Interface Security. Secure Boot.

2). All the password fields (admin, user, HDD, Master) are empty and their "status" is "NOT INSTALLED".

3). I/O Interface security leads to another screen where more options for LAN, SD Card and USB interfaces control - lock/unlock. All are [Unlock] now.

4). Remaining section wording:
    System Mode state User
    Secure Boot state Disabled
    Secure Boot Control [Disabled]

5). My next question is. Let's say I read the pages suggested by ratzi and create a bootable thumb drive. How do I make this BIOS/UEFI thingy read THAT USB port with THAT bootable thumb drive in it?

The "Boot" screen looks like:
    Fast Boot [Disabled]
    Launch CSM [Disabled]

Boot Option Priorities
    Boot Option #1 [WIndows Boot Manage...]

Add New Boot Option
    Delete Boot Option

6). I figure I have to "Add New Boot Option". That takes me to the next screen:
    Add boot option [pick a letter A - Z]
    Select Filesystem [PCI(1F|2)\DevicePath( Type 3, SubType 12)HD(Part1, Sig06a6efe0 and a bunch of hex digits...
    Path for boot option

Any ideas?
    Thanks a bunch,

Ok, guys.
    Answering malcolmlews' and ratzi' questions about the secure boot options.

1). The "Security" screen has three sections. Passwords. I/O Interface Security. Secure Boot.

2). All the password fields (admin, user, HDD, Master) are empty and their "status" is "NOT INSTALLED".
    This is a BIOS "screen", apparently.
    So these are passwords set by the BIOS, i.e. neither by openSUSE, nor windows, nor any other OS.
    So leave this alone, as long as you don't have to administrate a system to which several persons should have to work with.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast