Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Quote Originally Posted by wantstoknow View Post
    5). My next question is. Let's say I read the pages suggested by ratzi and create a bootable thumb drive. How do I make this BIOS/UEFI thingy read THAT USB port with THAT bootable thumb drive in it?
    From my experience on an UEFI booting system:
    as long as you didn't plug / insert a bootable drive (like an USB stick) / a bootable medium (like a DVD/CD),
    the UEFI BIOS won't show you the option to boot this one.
    Hence, questions concerning the behvaviour in that case are pretty much theoretical,
    until you connected such a drive,
    and report what happens then.

I.e.: prepare an USB stick for booting openSUSE 12.2, boot it, and report the results.

Good luck
    Mike

(edit: added "I.e.: prepare an USB stick for booting openSUSE 12.2, boot it, and report the results.")

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Ok, guys.
    Answering malcolmlews' and ratzi' questions about the secure boot options.

6). I figure I have to "Add New Boot Option". That takes me to the next screen:
    Add boot option [pick a letter A - Z]
    Select Filesystem [PCI(1F|2)\DevicePath( Type 3, SubType 12)HD(Part1, Sig06a6efe0 and a bunch of hex digits...
    Path for boot option

Any ideas?
    Thanks a bunch,
    Hi
    On my HP ProBook 4525s, I could browse to the EFI file on the DVD and boot from that via ELILO and install fine. On your system can you browse to files, or does it just provides a drop down list?

I just used dd to copy across the EFI partition on this system (DELL latitude E5510) to a USB device and it would boot, so it is possible..... not sure about the install DVD on a USB device if you can't browse to the efi file.

Have you downloaded the openSUSE DVD? You would need an 8GB USB device, else do you have an external USB dvd for connecting?
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 03-Jan-2013 at 17:57.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

In addition:
    laptops don't always run that smoothly under Linux.
    So booting from a Linux live system will give some clues on usability.

ratzi, thank you for a helpful direct link to making LiveUSB stick - couldn't find it on the main web site.

Anyway. I'm using an old Dell laptop with 12.1 (Asparagus) OpenSuSE on it to prepare the LiveUSB stick.
    Here's what worked.
    Read the "making LiveUSB stick" instructions.
    Went to the main software download section.
    Picked the Live GNOME 64-bit option.
    Downloaded openSUSE-12.2-GNOME-LiveCD-x86_64.iso file.
    Installed the GUI Imagewriter from YAST's Software Managment program.
    Imagewriter didn't run as is - by clicking on it.
    Switched to terminal.
    HTML Code:
    which imagewriter
    /usr/bin/imagewriter
    imagewriter
    You must run this program as the root user.
    Abort
    su - 
    imagewriter
    Imagewriter insisted on me being a user with id "root".
    OK, fine. Root I am.
    Then it worked. GUI came up. Detected my pendrive.
    Another quirk: the .iso file HAD to be under root's path. In my case in
    HTML Code:
    /root
    , so I copied it there with
    HTML Code:
    cp
    Then Imagewriter insisted on unmounting the pendrive, ok, fine.
    Then it finally moved the .iso image to the pendrive.

So, here I have it.

Inserted the pendrive into ASUS USB port.
    Power on while holing ESC key.
    Boot menu came up and that's where I am stuck. I was hoping with something bootable in the USB port BIOS menu may show me some more reasonable choices. It didn't.

So, ratzi's suggestion to "Just make sure that openSUSE runs - in this case from the USB stick/key instead of a CD/DVD." is where I am.

Can anyone shed some light as to how I make this BIOS read from my pendrive?

Thanks again.

ratzi, when you say "prepare an USB stick for booting openSUSE 12.2, boot it, and report the results" what do you mean by "boot it"?

Do I have to reboot my old Dell where I've created the stick AFTER I've created it or can I just pull it out and plug it into ASUS?

Thanks.

malcolmlewis, sorry if I wasn't clear about it from the start.

The ASUS X501A laptop is brand new with windows 8 pre-installed on it, hot off the shelf.

That laptop has no unix software on it whatsoever.

That's my goal - to put OpenSuSE ON it. Any software it has is windows only.

In this BIOS set up it is very crude text only ui. No mouse support.
    May be I am missing something but everything has to be typed in by hand. No browsing capabilities.

You should boot from the USB stick on the new system.

No matter how or on which system you prepared the USB stick,
    as long as it is prepared whithout errors.

Booting from a DVD/CD there usually is an option
    'check installation media/medium', which will check that medium
    by means of calculating a checksum.
    You should see this choice as well.
    Use it.

OK, guys. If it's any help.

The only reasonable option in this Aptio American Megatrends BIOS Boot menu I see is "Add New Boot Option"

On that screen the choices are:

1). Add boot option name - one character between A and Z. Let's say I pick U for unix.

2). Select Filesystem. This one has a few choices pre-typed in the square brackets. I mentioned those in a previous post. Though some helpful text for that option reads "Select one filesystem from the list" I do not see any way to select anything. The pre-typed text just sits there and can't be changed. May be i am overlooking something...

3) Path for boot option. Helpful text reads "Enter the path to the boot option in the format
    Code:
    fsx:\path\filename.efi
    "

Any ideas?

OK, ratzi, got it about the LiveUSB stick.

Unfortunately this ASUS, as I've mentioned in the title of the thread, does not have any optical drives. Just two USB ports and that's it.

Consequently, I do not see any "boot from CD/DVD" option in the BIOS setup. Could it be that since the mobo does not have CD/DVD drives this version of BIOS was specifically written to not have any such choices?

I think I need a way to find this mysterious .efi file on the LiveUSB stick and find a way to create a new boot option and enter this just as mysterious path thingy.

OK, ratzi, got it about the LiveUSB stick.

Unfortunately this ASUS, as I've mentioned in the title of the thread, does not have any optical drives. Just two USB ports and that's it.

Consequently, I do not see any "boot from CD/DVD" option in the BIOS setup. Could it be that since the mobo does not have CD/DVD drives this version of BIOS was specifically written to not have any such choices?

I think I need a way to find this mysterious .efi file on the LiveUSB stick and find a way to create a new boot option and enter this just as mysterious path thingy.
    You created the bootable USB stick, right?

Now you don't have to look for some mysterious file, but you have to find a way how to boot from the USB stick.

On an UEFI system this can be done by plugging the device to be booted from before power on.

Then power on, and enter the BIOS setup,
    i.e. by pressing the respective key to enter BIOS setup before any OS is booted.

There (in the BIOS setup) you should be able to select the device to boot from,
    in UEFI mode or non-UEFI mode.

If you downloaded 64bit openSUSE installer UEFI booting should be possible.

(edit: replaced 'it' by 'the USB stick')
    (edit2: replaced 'attaching' by plugging)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast