Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

Quote Originally Posted by wantstoknow View Post
    American Megatrends BIOS software on ASUS displays several boot choices when all these sticks are plugged in.
    ONLY ONE though says explicitly "EFI" - and that's the 2GB stick with efi partition and efi files on it. The rest of the choices are simply device names and "windows boot manage...". Interestingly, the same 2 GB Verbatim stick was listed TWICE - first as a "EFI"-enabled option and the second time simply as "Verbatim STORE N GO"
    The last is a strong indication that booting from the 8 GB stick on it's own took place in non-UEFI mode.

Food for thought - I think these types of configurations for "mobile devices" such as ASUS X501A is the wave of the future.
    For comparison:
    widespread leaving out of the IDE/SATA interface on new PC hardware (i.e. motherboards) took place quite quickly.
    I experienced this while selecting the hardware for my core-i5 desktop PC, for which I still wanted to have the option to plug an old internal CD burner.

CDs and DVDs, may in fact disappear some time in the future, similar to floppy disks, magnetic tapes, etc. that disappeared in the past.

Worse:
    the iPad doesn't even have an USB port.
    But the rest of the market may not follow that example, as long as the buyers can choose between the products of different manufacturers.

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSE installation.

On 2013-01-08 13:36, ratzi wrote:
    > For comparison:
    > widespread leaving out of the IDE/SATA interface on new PC hardware
    > (i.e. motherboards) took place quite quickly.

You mean IDE/PATA, I suppose?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-01-08 13:36, ratzi wrote:
    > For comparison:
    > widespread leaving out of the IDE/SATA interface on new PC hardware
    > (i.e. motherboards) took place quite quickly.

You mean IDE/PATA, I suppose?
    Of course ...

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSEinstallation.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So what is under the Boot Option #1 etc and Add a new boot option?
    opensuse (PO: TOSHIBA...) and so on. These choices basically duplicate whatever the initial boot screen has - the one I marked under 1).

Add Option opens another screen with three basic choices: 1) Boot option name (one letter A-Z), 2) File system type, 3) Boot path. All must be entered manually, no browsing capability.

I will post its picture tonight.

The feeling I get from this bios/uefi thingy is that it tends to be very dynamic and automatic - its very sensitive to what's plugged in into this machine right this instance.

1). Boot options screen when all the stick are in:
    SUSE Paste

2). Add New Boot Option, Filesystem choices:
    SUSE Paste

3). Add New Boot Option, path - comment, text supposed to be entered manually:
    SUSE Paste

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with ASUS X501A, Windows 8, UEFI, no CD/DVD drive SuSEinstallation.

On Wed 09 Jan 2013 03:16:03 AM CST, wantstoknow wrote:
    3). Add New Boot Option, path - comment, text supposed to be entered
    manually:
    'SUSE Paste' (http://paste.opensuse.org/24303111)
    Hi
    Ahhh this is good news, so you can browse to the efi file which is
    called bootx64.efi os any device, if you attached an external dvd
    player, it should (should being the operative word) be visible...

I'm currently playing with the UEFI on the HP system to get a usb stick
    bootable.

many thanks for the additional information. Hopefully it can be sorted
    properly for the next release

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop
    up 1 day 2:50, 3 users, load average: 2.56, 1.49, 1.14
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Ahhh this is good news, so you can browse to the efi file...
    Sort of. Again, my experience with this particular brand - laptop/ASUS/American Megatrends BIOS/UEFI setup - is that THEY present you with the choices and you can only "browse" through whatever they gave you - use the up and down arrow keys in this particular case.

Also, it looks like you can add a boot option from scratch - manually typing in all what's needed. I guess what I am trying to say is that the traditional browsing - as in click this "browse" button and a "file open" menu comes up with a standard view of the entire file system - is not available on this particular machine. However, since a manual option is always there I guess that's always an option to get yourself out of potentially difficult situation if one arises.

As a trend, though, I think that that level of user involvement will not be necessary. All in all OpenSUSE installation process is awesome and given the variety of hardware types out there and the fact that the installation goes as smoothly as it does it borders on miraculous.

Good luck and thank you for your help.

Please help with installing OpenSuSE on a brand new ASUS X501A laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed.
    This laptop does NOT have any optical drives - NO CD and NO DVD drives.
    It does have two USB drives.
    I also think it has UEFI.

Is OpenSuSE installation even possible on such a system?

Reqs: do not care much about keeping windows 8 on it as long as I can successfully install OpenSuSE.

Specs:
    1). Intel 2.4 GHZ processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD.
    2). BIOS vendor = Aptio Setup Utility from American Megatrends, Inc.
    3). After hitting ESC key at start up a menu comes up. Not sure if its 100% BIOS, or 100% UEFI, or a mix.
    Menu choices are: Main, Advanced, Boot, Security, Save and Exit.
    4). Under Boot menu choices are: Fast Boot (disabled), Launch CSM (disabled) and Driver Option Priorities.
    5). Under Driver Option Priorities choices are: Boot Option #1: [Windows Boot Manage...], Add New Boot Option, Delete Boot Option.
    6). Under the top level "Security" menu the choices are (all either disabled or NOT INSTALLED): Admin password, user password,, secure boot control (disabled).

My major question is: since this laptop does not have any CD/DVD drives and I do not see the familiar BIOS choices to boot from USB what do I do now? I suspect that this UEFI thingy is involved here also - judging by what I see in the BIOS setup screens.

Does anyone know how to make this Aptio BIOS utility accept a UEFI-enabled OpenSuSE installer? In other words how do I make it look at a particular USB drive where the thumb drive with the OpenSuSE initial installer files are?

In Windows 8 the "drives" are "C" 186 GB and "D" 258 GB.

Result of "list disk" in diskpart:
    HTML Code:
    Disk ###    Status     Size   Free   Dyn   Gpt
    ---------   -------    ----   ----   ---   ---
    Disk 0      Online    465 GB  0 GB          *
    In case the text formatter removes the spaces - the star character above is under the "GPT" column.

Some detailed instructions would be wonderful but any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi sir : I saw this post dated January 2013, a little late to respond but maybe still useful to resume.

I bought similar laptop, I worked out everything with its UEFI and installed Ubuntu along with Win 8. Let me know if you are interested on my knowledge. Although is not Suse, for sure my experience with ubuntu would be good for you. to go quickre, let me know at obarreto(at)argos.com.co

Regards

Hi sir : I saw this post dated January 2013, a little late to respond but maybe still useful to resume.

I bought similar laptop, I worked out everything with its UEFI and installed Ubuntu along with Win 8. Let me know if you are interested on my knowledge. Although is not Suse, for sure my experience with ubuntu would be good for you. to go quickre, let me know at obarreto(at)argos.com.co

Regards

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314