Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: can't login after updating 12.2 gnome

  1. #1

    Default can't login after updating 12.2 gnome

    Greetings!
    After updating a livecd version using Yast software management, the login screen won't
    accept a password. It's frozen, no text or dots are printed, the cursor doesn't move.
    Authentication failure. It's strange, I think that I logged in once just after updating.
    A new kernel was installed and that broke grub2 and I had to change the 40_custom
    file in Mint. So, I think I logged in after that. Not sure how to fix this, even if I chroot
    to the opensuse partition. Any ideas ??
    thanks,
    reddogg

  2. #2

    Default Re: can't login after updating 12.2 gnome

    Tried again and succeed this time. Password was accepted.
    Not sure what's going on with this. Strange.
    reddogg

  3. #3

    Default Re: can't login after updating 12.2 gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by reddogg View Post
    ... the login screen won't accept a password. It's frozen, no text or dots are printed, the cursor doesn't move.
    Quote Originally Posted by reddogg View Post
    Tried again and succeed this time.
    One possible cause of such symptoms can be a bad electrical contact,
    i.e. that e.g. an USB plug or an USB cable has a malfunction or isn't working reliably any more
    (assumed you have an USB mouse and/or USB keyboard -- added when editing).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    11

    Talking Re: can't login after updating 12.2 gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by reddogg View Post
    Greetings!
    After updating a livecd version using Yast software management, the login screen won't
    accept a password. It's frozen, no text or dots are printed, the cursor doesn't move.
    Authentication failure. It's strange, I think that I logged in once just after updating.
    A new kernel was installed and that broke grub2 and I had to change the 40_custom
    file in Mint. So, I think I logged in after that. Not sure how to fix this, even if I chroot
    to the opensuse partition. Any ideas ??
    thanks,
    reddogg

    Re-install whichever propriety blob that you are using. Been down that road so many times with an older Nvidia GeForce FX5200; had to finally part ways with SuSe on it and instead load it up with VectorLinux. When you upgrade the kernel you also have to re-install the blobs it's just a little something I've picked up here and there. I'm hoping that, that can help out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: can't login after updating 12.2 gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeZiehmer View Post
    Re-install whichever propriety blob that you are using. Been down that road so many times with an older Nvidia GeForce FX5200; had to finally part ways with SuSe on it and instead load it up with VectorLinux. When you upgrade the kernel you also have to re-install the blobs it's just a little something I've picked up here and there. I'm hoping that, that can help out.
    Also, did you do a su or sudo if Mint is the primary or if SuSe is the primary? Just to run a grub update.

  6. #6

    Default Re: can't login after updating 12.2 gnome

    Thanks, I'll probably reinstall 12.2 with kde. For some reason login works again.
    Not sure what was going on. Gnome3 is a little too radical for me. I'm not really
    a big fan of bouncing icons, but I did want to try opensuse again. VectorLinux?
    Last time I used Slackware was slackware 96 and just before that it was 3.0.
    A long time ago! Mint 14 Cinnamon is working pretty well so far. It's nice , clean
    and a traditional desktop. Very comfortable for me.
    reddogg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •