Quanta + app doesn't want to come up

I recently upgraded to 12.1 from 11.4 (64 bit) wherein Quanta + was working fine. After the upgrade, when I attempt to activate Quanta + it tries to come up, but it doesn’t. I am using the KDE 3.5.10-35.1.2 web development suite. Could you please give me some clues as to what is ailing this app? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I tried my other fav apps which are still working.

I do not know how you started this application (do not know it), but general error finding requires that you either:
. when it is to be started from the CLI, show (copied/pasted prompt, command, output and next prompt between CODE tags, by using the # button in the toolbar) whathappens here, or
. when it is a GUI application, nevertheless start it fron the CLI and show what happens in the same way as above.

Then people have something to look at and maybe give you advice based on it. Better then the picture you paint now with “tries to come up” which lets me thinking about a struggling beast.

On 2013-01-02 05:06, HealingMindNOS wrote:
>
> I recently upgraded to 12.1 from 11.4 (64 bit)

Real upgrade? Which method?

Online upgrade
method

Offline upgrade
method

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Here is the output when I put the command in console:

randolph@linux-ppnb:~> quanta %U
quanta: error while loading shared libraries: libkutils.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I try to start Quanta from GUI, the icon is bouncing with the cursor and the label shows in the task bar as expected, but then they disappear with no app. Please tell me how to investigate this. Thanks in advance.

I am the tired, struggling beast. Thank God I have this forum because I am constantly struggling. If not for this forum, I would be completely lost.

rotfl!
In any case, as you have seen yourself, when you start from the GUI you see almost nothing (the bouncing icon is only eye-candy and not be taken taken serious). When starting from the CLI you see why it does not run as intended.

BTW the %U there is to be replaced by a parameter, I guess an URL (but as I told, I do not know the application quanta). Not needed to type it in this case, but we have the error message!

So we must concentrate on the library libkutils.so.1 and why it can not be found. When I use YaST to search for the package that provides this file, I find that it is in packages kdelibs3/kdelibs3-32-bit. That means that it is not available in KDE 4 (by incident, I have some KDE 3.5 applications installed, and thus I have it).

There could be two solutions:

1. find a newer version of quanta that works with KDE 4, or
  2. add the KDE 3 repo (from the community repos) and intstall kdelibs3/kdelib3-32 (whatever your installation is 64bit/32bit).

The last solution has of course the disadvantage that you stay dependent on the old KDE.

There was an update last night that fixed quanta. I looked through the history in Yast and saw some libraries came in, but I’m not sure what fixed quanta. The main thrust is that it’s fixed now, but I wish I knew what did it.

Thanks for your help, Henk.

That is very good. Problems that solve themselves :wink:

My guess is that the developer/packager repaired the bug that he used a function from an obselete library. Maybe someone filed a bug report or he found out himself using the product.